Flat...

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R, '92 NSX, 97/99 EK, 07 TL-S, 90 CRX, 02 Civic EX
Country flag
on the way to Columbus to get some lunch and shop a little bit and I picked up a piece of metal in my passenger side rear tire on the highway...
Honda Civic 10th gen Flat... tireflat
Sponsored

CTR_FK8_00436

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR / 2011 Civic Hybrid
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
on the way to Columbus to get some lunch and shop a little bit and I picked up a piece of metal in my passenger side rear tire on the highway...
tireflat.jpg
Bummer! Do you keep a tire compressor in your car?

OP
OP
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That is the "spare tire" that the Type R comes with, it is a 12v compressor with a bottle of "fix a flat" inside of it. It worked well enough to get me 3-4 miles down the highway @ 50mph so I could get some help, which is where you see this pic taken. That part of the highway people are going 75-90 mph and when you are on the side it seems like everyone is trying to kill you. So we made it off to a smaller local highway and called Honda Roadside and they had a tow truck there in about 1 hour.
Now my 3 week old, less than 1000 mile car sits at the dealership waiting for Monday to see what will happen.

OP
OP
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
wow that look almost exactly like what happened to mine

S2k_Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Country flag
Same thing happened to mine last Sunday I had to get a new tire

IMG_1458.JPG
Looks totally fixable with a tire plug, doesn't look like there would be any reason to get a new tire. Plug the tire and move on, no need to have your new CTR sitting at a dealer, if you don't know how to plug it yourself, the tire shops around me would fix that for free.

youCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1292 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Anybody know if the sealant is refillable in the Honda compressor? Or, do you have to purchase the whole thing again? Also had to use mine a few days ago...luckily it was a puncture in the groove channel in one of the rear tires so the sealant worked quick and well.

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #330, '17 Jeep GC Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anybody know if the sealant is refillable in the Honda compressor? Or, do you have to purchase the whole thing again? Also had to use mine a few days ago...luckily it was a puncture in the groove channel in one of the rear tires so the sealant worked quick and well.
So you pump the sealant in and now you need a new tire right? Stuff like Fix a Flat ruins TPMS sensors and the tires are now filled with that stuff. I would prefer to have a spare to toss on so I can repair a simple tread puncture with a cheap kit rather than spending money on a new sensor and $300+ tire. Are the Continentals run flats?

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That is the "spare tire" that the Type R comes with, it is a 12v compressor with a bottle of "fix a flat" inside of it. It worked well enough to get me 3-4 miles down the highway @ 50mph so I could get some help, which is where you see this pic taken. That part of the highway people are going 75-90 mph and when you are on the side it seems like everyone is trying to kill you. So we made it off to a smaller local highway and called Honda Roadside and they had a tow truck there in about 1 hour.
Now my 3 week old, less than 1000 mile car sits at the dealership waiting for Monday to see what will happen.
I asked the question above, but figured I'd ask you too. Did the sealant ruin the tire and pressure sensors; i.e. did you have to get a brand new tire? I figured the Continentals would be run flats.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Don't all the CTR's come with that one?

So you pump the sealant in and now you need a new tire right? Stuff like Fix a Flat ruins TPMS sensors and the tires are now filled with that stuff. I would prefer to have a spare to toss on so I can repair a simple tread puncture with a cheap kit rather than spending money on a new sensor and $300+ tire. Are the Continentals run flats?
I asked the question above, but figured I'd ask you too. Did the sealant ruin the tire and pressure sensors; i.e. did you have to get a brand new tire? I figured the Continentals would be run flats.
While I agree Fix a Flat is a big mess to deal with, there are no internal TPMS sensors in our tires. Honda uses an external system.

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
While I agree Fix a Flat is a big mess to deal with, there are no internal TPMS sensors in our tires. Honda uses an external system.
Oh thank God! So after pumping that gunk into our tires I'm assuming we need to replace the tire?

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh thank God! So after pumping that gunk into our tires I'm assuming we need to replace the tire?
Supposedly it can be cleaned out but your tire shop may hate you afterwards. :)

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Supposedly it can be cleaned out but your tire shop may hate you afterwards. :)
Haha very true. Also cross your fingers that the tire shop doesn't scratch up the wheels. The dealership I bought the CTR from told me they already dropped the money on one of the two tire replacement machines Honda corporate recommended.

OP
OP
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag