AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
High flow will be OK. He said 'stock cat', not 'stock downpipe'. The difference is massive in terms of how much air it lets through. And again, it will only matter in race scenarios. No way you'll be able to build up enough heat to melt the stock cat outside of a track, even on a highway (due to airflow).. unless you're doing some REALLY crazy shit.

I'm having some major issues with KR lately too, hoping it's the gas.
I love my PRL downpipe. I did everything from the turbo back at once so I never was able to tell the difference (at least sound wise, I didn't have hondata yet) between the stock downpipe, but I could definitely tell it spooled better.

It's gotta be the gas man, I had to pull out 1.5 degrees of timing between 150%-170% air C and .75 out of 190-230% to get it to pull without cutting power.

After last fill up I can finally run the base values without issue. Probably going to wait a little bit to set them back to what I've had them at for months before.
Sponsored

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I love my PRL downpipe. I did everything from the turbo back at once so I never was able to tell the difference (at least sound wise, I didn't have hondata yet) between the stock downpipe, but I could definitely tell it spooled better.

It's gotta be the gas man, I had to pull out 1.5 degrees of timing between 150%-170% air C and .75 out of 190-230% to get it to pull without cutting power.

After last fill up I can finally run the base values without issue. Probably going to wait a little bit to set them back to what I've had them at for months before.
I'm having issues on the opposite end of the spectrum. Knock retard out of the wazoo when tapping the throttle, and the issue comes and goes with no rhyme or reason. One day it'll be hitting 9 degrees KR every single time I touch the throttle lightly, the next day it'll be in a different cylinder, and the next day it won't happen at all.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm having issues on the opposite end of the spectrum. Knock retard out of the wazoo when tapping the throttle, and the issue comes and goes with no rhyme or reason. One day it'll be hitting 9 degrees KR every single time I touch the throttle lightly, the next day it'll be in a different cylinder, and the next day it won't happen at all.
That's pretty odd. In the past sometimes if I would quickly jab the throttle and let off I would get KR. Like around a 2 second quick pull or so. Or I would get a tiny hit of 1-4 degrees on spool up. I've since then switched my AFR away from hondatas way of going by RPM with load/Aircharge, and just tuning the lambda by only aircharge with every value the same going through each RPM column like how K-tuner does it. Helps tremendously in avoiding seeing a 13+ afr with over 20psi of boost

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
@Hondata I just thought of something.. if cams can affect the incoming aircharge, is the aircharge value the ECU is selecting table cells with actually measured somehow or is it also a theoretical model?

OP
OP
Hondata

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Air charge is calculated from the AFM. air mass over time / rpm = air mass per cylinder, and then it converts that to a nominal filling percentage.

MstrSHAKE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
So FP gets here on Tuesday. Anything/tips I should do beforehand?

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Air charge is calculated from the AFM. air mass over time / rpm = air mass per cylinder, and then it converts that to a nominal filling percentage.
I am assuming the step where it gets converted is when it factors cam overlap vs piston position within the bore (crank position) etc. against the measured maf reading to give the approximation of cylinder fill? Or is it only measuring afm for this?

OP
OP
Hondata

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It does not matter what the cam is doing. It measures air mass flow and then divides out how much each cylinder is getting.

Edit: Are you talking about overlap and blow through? Probably there is some logic to cope with that in the ECU. I don't think there is much transfer from intake to exhaust on these engines. They do like the opposite where you get an EGR effect from exhaust gasses coming back into the cylinder.

Last edited:

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
It does not matter what the cam is doing. It measures air mass flow and then divides out how much each cylinder is getting.

Edit: Are you talking about overlap and blow through? Probably there is some logic to cope with that in the ECU. I don't think there is much transfer from intake to exhaust on these engines. They do like the opposite where you get an EGR effect from exhaust gasses coming back into the cylinder.
Yeah, that's what he was talking about. Thanks for giving us the inside details! Love it!

alpinefd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
wastegate position and boost commanded at 0% tps question

just flashed the car today with flashpro, 91 octane base map to start with, everything went well.

reviewing the initial log, I have a question about wastegate position and boost commanded at 0% tps question

the hondata technical notes says to monitor wg actual and do not let it goto 0mm, but reviewing my log, i'm seeing scenarios where it's getting very close to 0mm, it seems this is caused by high BPCMD at low TPS input.

my question is should I be concerned?
why is it commanding so much boost even at 0% tps? there is no torque demand at 0% tps
is this to help with spool?
when should we monitor for the wg position? only in full throttle condition?

check out this log here
0% tps, map -21.6psi, bpcmd 20.3psi, wg position 0.56mm
Honda Civic 10th gen FlashPro for CTR tuning results upload_2020-3-14_15-1-18

a few moments later
44% tps, map -2.7psi, bpcmd 20.3psi, wg 0.25mm
Honda Civic 10th gen FlashPro for CTR tuning results upload_2020-3-14_15-8-27

Last edited:

alpinefd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
for monitoring knock,

there is a k retard 1, 2, 3, 4, I guess those are cylinder #
what about the K retard channel?

which one should we monitor?

are some knock retard normal on this ecu? when is it cause for concern?

Honda Civic 10th gen FlashPro for CTR tuning results upload_2020-3-14_15-14-15

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
for monitoring knock,

there is a k retard 1, 2, 3, 4, I guess those are cylinder #
what about the K retard channel?

which one should we monitor?

are some knock retard normal on this ecu? when is it cause for concern?

upload_2020-3-14_15-14-15.png
Ignore klevel and knock retard without a cylinder number. 1-4 is what you want. Its not unusual to see 1-2 degrees in a couple cylinders here and there, but seeing 4 degrees across 3+ cylinders regularly is cause for investigation.

DontWreckIt

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
Reactions: Tmy