Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
@Hondata The tuner that I've selected in my area is indicating that he wants to use the Disable EGT option. I currently have a stock engine and a high flow cat - is this option safe for someone like me, or is it only for built blocks and catless DP's?
Many of us run that option. It's somewhat related to safety, mostly related to emissions. It's not a dangerous mod in and of itself, it just lets you push it further which is of course your goal.

I wouldn't worry about it. That being said, it mostly benefits aftermarket turbos. It has a benefit for everyone, but it's mostly useful for going well beyond what the ECU considers normal turbo operation.

The only really dangerous thing available to us is antilag and lean AFRs. You'll have a hard time doing damage otherwise until you add a bigger pump or turbo.

alpinefd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Yes. It is fine.
on a off the shelf 93 octane map, would disabling the EGT protect give you more boost up top?

I"m trying to understand what are the parameter which cause this boost limiting egt protect function to kick in, where then this option could become useful.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
on a off the shelf 93 octane map, would disabling the EGT protect give you more boost up top?

I"m trying to understand what are the parameter which cause this boost limiting egt protect function to kick in, where then this option could become useful.
It's in the name. EGT = Exhaust gas temperature. If it gets too high, the max turbo ratio gets reduced. This disables that, much like other changes to remove factory boost limits. It gives you more boost up top, exactly right. However, it may end up being a little too much on the top where you'll hit max fuel pump, and all you have to do from there is reduce it a few points in the aircharge limit table at the RPM you see it tap out at.

Keep in mind, air charge isnt the exact same thing as boost. Air charge is the ratio of air vs how much air the cylinder holds at atmospheric pressure. I.e. 100% = no boost, what NA engines go for. Past that, youre compressing air in the cylinder. The amount of boost to do that is variable. More boost doesn't necessarily mean more aircharge or power.

Last edited:

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
It's in the name. EGT = Exhaust gas temperature. If it gets too high, the max turbo ratio gets reduced. This disables that, much like other changes to remove factory boost limits. It gives you more boost up top, exactly right. However, it may end up being a little too much on the top where you'll hit max fuel pump, and all you have to do from there is reduce it a few points in the aircharge limit table at the RPM you see it tap out at.

Keep in mind, air charge isnt the exact same thing as boost. Air charge is the ratio of air vs how much air the cylinder holds at atmospheric pressure. I.e. 100% = no boost, what NA engines go for. Past that, youre compressing air in the cylinder. The amount of boost to do that is variable. More boost doesn't necessarily mean more aircharge or power.
Any risk to the cat if the exhaust gas temps get too high?

alpinefd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag

can you expand on that, assuming same altitude, more boost should always = more air charge, no?

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
can you expand on that, assuming same altitude, more boost should always = more air charge, no?
Sorry, I didn't write that end quite right. Haven't slept much, lol. Actually physically adding boost does make a higher air charge. However, the ECU is in search of air charge and not boost. The PSI it needs to attain the actual physical aircharge can vary wildly based on altitude and intake temps. XXX% aircharge doesn't always equal XX.Xpsi of boost. The ECU may not need extra boost to get it to a certain aircharge, and other days it might. Proper tuning is done by aircharge and knowing that your boost is entirely variable and just a means to get the aircharge you want.

Tl;dr: just remember that the air charge table isnt the same thing as a boost table when tuning it, it serves a different purpose even though it initially seems like the same thing

Last edited:

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Any risk to the cat if the exhaust gas temps get too high?
That's possible if you pushed the absolute shit out of it. If you were tracking it I wouldn't use this on a stock cat. High flow should be fine if the materials arent trash.

In any case, the cat temp is datalogged.

OP
OP
Hondata

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For street use the EGT disable is ok. For race use I would not do it on a stock cat.

@keri has summarized the way air charge works fairly well. It is like a cylinder filling %.

Cat temp is modeled and not measured.

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Oh shit. I would've never known that. How strange.. what use would there be for a modeled cat temp and not measured since cat temp isnt an input? Not to mention that it can physically degrade and that model wouldn't be accurate?

Also, is the temp sensor the EGT reduction watches available as a sensor output for you to add? wait.. is there even a sensor for that? That would just be the first O2 bung, no?

Last edited:

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Sorry, I didn't write that end quite right. Haven't slept much, lol. Actually physically adding boost does make a higher air charge. However, the ECU is in search of air charge and not boost. The PSI it needs to attain the actual physical aircharge can vary wildly based on altitude and intake temps.

Tl;dr: just remember that the air charge table isnt the same thing as a boost table when tuning it, it serves a different purpose even though it initially seems like the same thing
Also needs to be said: valve overlap/cam phasing affects the air charge actually making it into the cylinder. You can see all the boost in the world and if the cam phasing is using more overlap the charge boost will just be bled off in the cylinder.

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Also needs to be said: valve overlap/cam phasing affects the air charge actually making it into the cylinder. You can see all the boost in the world and if the cam phasing is using more overlap the charge boost will just be bled off in the cylinder.
Very good info. I'm still learning the actual physics of cams and how it applies to aircharge tuning so I didn't want to comment on that yet, but this is how I understand it too. You can make more air charge through more than just adding PSI. Too many people focus on that number, and it's even more useless in our cars.

The thing that made it click for me is remembering that boost isnt a measurement of molecules of air. It's a pressure measurement. Pressure doesn't change potential output of the air/fuel mixture. Only the amount of fuel, the physical amount of air, and the point of ignition changes anything. Boost shouldn't be looked at as air, but rather the force that is carrying your air into the cylinders.

Aircharge is literally measuring the number of molecules of air inside the cylinder, presented as a percentage of the known max cylinder filling at atmospheric. This value (and the calculations that use it) are not affected by temperature or pressure.

Our engines are just air pumps, and every table is based around that idea. Boost does not tell you how in absolute terms how much air you are pumping and volume is the most important part of the equation.

So, that's why we tune by aircharge and why just solely dumping more boost or airflow in general doesn't actually cause as large of a change as other cars (without further changing maps). It won't exceed whatever aircharge it calculates it needs and the resulting temperature increase will cause a net zero increase.

Last edited:

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
For street use the EGT disable is ok. For race use I would not do it on a stock cat.

@keri has summarized the way air charge works fairly well. It is like a cylinder filling %.

Would the circumstances be any different with an aftermarket high flow cat instead of the stock one?(which I believe has 2 cats in it)

I don't get to see a track anywhere near I live except summit point in WV an hour and a half away, which isn't terrible, but I'm not a fan of the track setup, too slow. Virginia international would be more ideal since you can get up into 5th and 6th gear. New Jersey has a track but it's best to avoid Jersey like the plague lol.

I might try the EGT disable again (once it's not raining) since I still have room on my top end on fueling. Last fill up I finally got a decent tank of gas and was able to run the base 93 ignition advance without a rainbow of KR. The 2-3 weeks beforehand were incredibly aggravating.

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Would the circumstances be any different with an aftermarket high flow cat instead of the stock one?(which I believe has 2 cats in it)

I don't get to see a track anywhere near I live except summit point in WV an hour and a half away, which isn't terrible, but I'm not a fan of the track setup, too slow. Virginia international would be more ideal since you can get up into 5th and 6th gear. New Jersey has a track but it's best to avoid Jersey like the plague lol.

I might try the EGT disable again (once it's not raining) since I still have room on my top end on fueling. Last fill up I finally got a decent tank of gas and was able to run the base 93 ignition advance without a rainbow of KR. The 2-3 weeks beforehand were incredibly aggravating.
High flow will be OK. He said 'stock cat', not 'stock downpipe'. The difference is massive in terms of how much air it lets through. And again, it will only matter in race scenarios. No way you'll be able to build up enough heat to melt the stock cat outside of a track, even on a highway (due to airflow).. unless you're doing some REALLY crazy shit.

I'm having some major issues with KR lately too, hoping it's the gas.
Sponsored