Flashpro: Engine stuttering after flash

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I needed to datalog something on the factory tune, so using Flashpro, I flashed my 2019 Type R back to stock. Upon firing it back up, the engine immediately started sputtering at idle. I turned it off and attempted to flash to a base map that I had used before instead. Upon firing it up it started stuttering again. It was working perfectly last night on that same base map. Anyone know what might be happening here?

EDIT: I've tried reflashing using my custom tune and multiple different basemaps, but no improvement. I've also tried disconnecting the battery for 20 mins, but no improvement there either. Finally, I attempted to flash using only the Flashpro connected (without the laptop) and my custom tune loaded onto the Secondary slot (primary slot empty). No dice. It was literally working perfectly less than 24 hours ago, so it cant be anything major mechanical.
Sponsored

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks Kefi. A friend mentioned that there might be something going wrong with the throttle body at idle, causing it to flutter. The car is currently stuck on our small driveway blocking the Mrs. from getting out of the garage. Do you think I'd blow anything up driving the 20 yards or so it would take it get out of her way? It sounds like a sputtering lawn mower, and I'm afraid to even turn it on.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Thanks Kefi. A friend mentioned that there might be something going wrong with the throttle body at idle, causing it to flutter. The car is currently stuck on our small driveway blocking the Mrs. from getting out of the garage. Do you think I'd blow anything up driving the 20 yards or so it would take it get out of her way? It sounds like a sputtering lawn mower, and I'm afraid to even turn it on.
I’ve seen the datalogs, two of my customers have this exact issue. You probably have a CEL saying idle control position not learned. The throttle body is basically stuck at 5% so the ECU starts using ignition to maintain idle, which is why it sounds like shit.

You can move it a short distance in this scenario if you must. It won’t get above 2k RPM or so though so don’t get caught in any dirt or on a hill.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’ve seen the datalogs, two of my customers have this exact issue. You probably have a CEL saying idle control position not learned. The throttle body is basically stuck at 5% so the ECU starts using ignition to maintain idle, which is why it sounds like shit.

You can move it a short distance in this scenario if you must. It won’t get above 2k RPM or so though so don’t get caught in any dirt or on a hill.
Thanks. If it helps, it's super cold here and I just got a low battery voltage warning in Flashpro on my laptop (11.6V); not sure if that matters, but figured I'd mention it. Do you think it would be safe to let it idle like this to charge the battery? Did you customers fix it by continuing to flash until it went away?

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Thanks. If it helps, it's super cold here and I just got a low battery voltage warning in Flashpro on my laptop (11.6V). Do you think it would be safe to let it idle like this to charge the battery? Did you customers fix it by continuing to flash until it went away?
Unfortunately no, it’s probably not the best idea to just idle it. Bit of a catch 22 I’m afraid. It is unlikely to cause any immediate damage but god knows what it’ll do for the length of time it takes to charge a car battery while idling.

Yes, eventually it worked.

Interesting that it was cold. That’s a common theme among everyone that had this, it was near or below freezing. But, it is winter.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Unfortunately no, it’s probably not the best idea to just idle it. Bit of a catch 22 I’m afraid. It is unlikely to cause any immediate damage but god knows what it’ll do for the length of time it takes to charge a car battery while idling.

Yes, eventually it worked.

Interesting that it was cold. That’s a common theme among everyone that had this, it was near or below freezing. But, it is winter.
Thanks, I'll play it safe then. Do you happen to know about how many attempts it took? I'm up to around 10 tries now, lol.

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Lol you experienced this as well?
Yeah, he was the first.
Maybe it's time we start blowing them up on social media. My car is currently a brick, and if they know about this and are intentionally remaining silent, then I have no sympathy for them.
They’re not remaining silent. They’ve looked at it with me and even went and put Mantihts’s ECU model in their own type R and flashed my calibration. They were commenting on the last thread and will probably comment on this one too.

It’s just an insanely hard thing to figure out. We’ve narrowed it down quite a bit though.

We don’t even know if it’s actually Hondata or just some issue with the Bosch ECU itself.

Mantihts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8
Country flag
Maybe it's time we start blowing them up on social media. My car is currently a brick, and if they know about this and are intentionally remaining silent, then I have no sympathy for them.
They’re not remaining silent. They’ve looked at it with me and even went and put Mantihts’s ECU model in their own type R and flashed my calibration. They were commenting on the last thread and will probably comment on this one too.

It’s just an insanely hard thing to figure out. We’ve narrowed it down quite a bit though.

We don’t even know if it’s actually Hondata or just some issue with the Bosch ECU itself.
It's getting to the point where my next mod is going to be a secondary cloned ECU so I don't have a bricked car when I'm trying to flash.

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Just wondering, do you have the latest Flashpro software and firmware updates?