Flashing CEL / Limp Mode - but no codes

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic coupe touring
Country flag
Driving last week, about 2 hours into a 4 hour drive. CEL started flashing and car went into limp mode (2019 civic coupe). Had been raining but was drying out. Pulled over, shut down, restarted without issue. Brought to dealer today and no stored codes. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Sounds very odd... Especially with no codes. When you mean "limp mode", can you describe exactly what happened?

OP
OP
ScottieInGulfport
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic coupe touring
Country flag
Lost power. Maybe 50%. Zero acceleration.
Pulled over shut down and restarted. Problem stopped and did not recur.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
When Honda CEL flashes (at least back in the days, sure it still means the same) it means it’s a misfire with a good amount of unburnt fuel that can cause damage to your cats

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Huh. That's very odd. Flashing CEL are usually a serious issue, like a misfire, that you need to stop that car immediately. I wonder why the code wasn't stored or anything like that wow.

OP
OP
ScottieInGulfport
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic coupe touring
Country flag
EXACTLY, I was shocked when the dealer said no codes. You'd think that something serious enough to cut my power - on the highway at highway speeds - and that required me to pull off the road and re-start the car, would leave some sort of breadcrumbs for the tech. But, nothing,

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
EXACTLY, I was shocked when the dealer said no codes. You'd think that something serious enough to cut my power - on the highway at highway speeds - and that required me to pull off the road and re-start the car, would leave some sort of breadcrumbs for the tech. But, nothing,
Might be the start of either bad injectors, spark plugs or coil packs. I would closely monitor the car for things like rough idle, sluggish acceleration and a decrease in MPG. It might take some time for the pcm to store a code.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I had an issue with a totally different car, where the car would from time to time go into a progressive limp mode, until it wouldn't go at all, usually during a long drive in hot weather, but never when the fuel tank was at least half full. It would not recover immediately, only after cooling the engine down, and then filling up, but it would always happily start again and then keep driving normally, like it never happened. No CEL light would come on and no codes were stored, so the first sign of trouble would be slowing down and not being able to accelerate, until a total stop.

So I thought it was fuel pump overheating, but I never found out what was the reason. Neither the fuel pump nor the fuel injectors were ever replaced, but the problem was fixed. After I finally took it to the dealer service, they replaced the ignition coils, and wires, probably also spark plugs, and said they cleaned some "passages" in the fuel system, and the car never did it again until it was traded-in many years later.

It was at that point that I stopped going to just any gas station with cheap gas, including funky country places with mechanical pumps.

The funny thing was that the car would be totally disabled (not able to move at all sitting in the middle of nowhere on the side of a freeway) without any codes stored to figure what was going on.

a.civicoco

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan
Country flag
The same thing happened to me last night as I was entering the highway. I was receiving 0 boost and the CEL was flashing. Strangely it was also raining when this happened. I drove to the nearest gas station with my hazards on and then turned my car off. I turned it back on and it was like nothing ever happened.

KensBlueGenX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 1.5l MT HB Sport
Country flag
Driving last week, about 2 hours into a 4 hour drive. CEL started flashing and car went into limp mode (2019 civic coupe). Had been raining but was drying out. Pulled over, shut down, restarted without issue. Brought to dealer today and no stored codes. Thoughts?
What is your intake setup? Wondering if the raining is a clue. No DTCs is indeed weird though. How much do you trust that dealer? Am presuming you didn't pull the codes yourself before taking it in.

OP
OP
ScottieInGulfport
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic coupe touring
Country flag
Ken - stock set up. Pouring rain. No codes. Three years still have the car and it has never recurred.

a.civicoco

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan
Country flag
The same thing happened to me last night as I was entering the highway. I was receiving 0 boost and the CEL was flashing. Strangely it was also raining when this happened. I drove to the nearest gas station with my hazards on and then turned my car off. I turned it back on and it was like nothing ever happened.

So I got this diagnosed and it turns out that my ignition coils were going bad, so make sure you guys check those if you’re having this issue.