FLASH NEWS-Hate to break bad news - Honda closing UK hatchback factory just released

WhiteCastleKid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/honda-civic-hatchback-plant-closure/

They say in this article, that they’ll bring it to the US production facilities. I doubt it, if they do, the quality will be worse. This news just broke hours ago, sick to my stomach. I think, and I could be wrong, it could be with the 1.5t engine, the coffin nail .

Just broke shortly and there’s already tons of stories out there tons of threads
Sponsored

Last edited:

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/honda-civic-hatchback-plant-closure/

They say in this article, that they’ll bring it to the US production facilities. I doubt it, if they do, the quality will be worse. This news just broke hours ago, sick to my stomach. I think, and I could be wrong, it could be with the 1.5t engine, the coffin nail .

Just broke shortly and there’s already tons of stories out there tons of threads
#1 I feel for those in the UK who will lose their jobs.

But I am not surprised. and maybe Brexit was the final straw.

Looking at what it must be costing to produce the Honda cars in the UK, and the prices charged for spare parts manufactured in the UK, its hardly surprising.

ie a Wiring harness produced in the UK for a UK built Honda model, is about 3x the cost of a very similar Honda harness manufactured in Vietnam.

Manufacture in UK or Vietnam .. Financially would seem to be a no-brainer.

ajsti24

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 STi Type RA, 2017 MB-AMG GLC43, 2019 Giulia
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
#1 I feel for those in the UK who will lose their jobs.

But I am not surprised. and maybe Brexit was the final straw.

Looking at what it must be costing to produce the Honda cars in the UK, and the prices charged for spare parts manufactured in the UK, its hardly surprising.

ie a Wiring harness produced in the UK for a UK built Honda model, is about 3x the cost of a very similar Honda harness manufactured in Vietnam.

Manufacture in UK or Vietnam .. Financially would seem to be a no-brainer.
yeah manufacturing cost should be one of the issue, and a very sad news at honda u.k. plant employees

OP
OP
WhiteCastleKid

WhiteCastleKid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
We’ve had Hondas in our family for years and years in the ones built in Japan and in the UK seems to me were built better. I’ve had Honda Civic’s built in the US, that were rattle traps, bad welds, just no QC. Who knows anymore in todays world, disappointed yes, I feel for all the people losing their jobs look at GM.

LMFK7

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Watching HondaPro Jason, he mentioned that not only the Type R is made in that plant, the hatchback too as well. So does that mean the hatch back is also going away???

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

apexit53

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 23 Integra aspec MT
Country flag

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
IMO this increases the likelihood of a Civic Si Hatch for the next generation now that production is moving to North America.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
keep voting for dems in US and Honda will leave US too
I think you confused Democrats with Republicans...

himecraig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Mercedes 320slk 08 Ford Ranger fx4 17 Acura RDX adv 17 Honda Civic Hatch ex-l ns
Country flag
we forget the hatch previously disappeared in North America but the European market continued...so recent sales in Europe must not have been good.
I think the hatch will continue for a few more years with manufacturing somewhere but will be replaced as before by the lower cost sedan and not disrupting sales of the fit, crv and hrv
Sponsored