VashTheStampede

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8, FK7, EG2
Country flag
I am a little surprised since all everyone ever talks about now a days is how much faster the FL5 is around the Suzuka racetrack than the FK8. Makes me glad I still have my FK8.
Note the shell game Honda played with the facelifted FK8 - They never posted the LE’s numbers or the facelifted FK8’s numbers on the Ring. They never showed any internal data or lap times on the facelifted FK8 at any other track (unless you count the LE).

Most everyone with skill that isn’t related to Honda has asserted that the facelifted FK8, even in non-LE form, with the suspension tweaks, is noticeably faster on a track than the 2017-2019.

To put two and two together here, the facelifted FK8, non-LE with the same tires as the LE or the same as the FL5 is likely just as fast or faster than the FL5 on certain tracks (including the Ring), and may be just as-fast-as-makes-no-difference as the LE.

Looks to me like upping the boost a tad and throwing some bigger tires on the car did not equate to faster lapping on big tracks or tracks that need aero.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rainy4s

Rainy4s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 STI
Last night, there were more Suzuka review videos out, and some YouTubers reveal the test cars are equipped with bespoke Cup2c rather than bespoke PS4s, IT IS HO marked for Honda(like BMW's *marked, Porsche's N-marked). They said you can buy the tire from Honda dealers only in Japan, and it doesn't look like a factory option, or Honda Access dealer option, you can't spec that in the Honda JP configurator.

the earlier Fl5 Suzuka record, Honda didn't say what tires they used, and this bespoke cup2c might be the answer.

Honda Civic 10th gen FL5 Track oil/coolant Temp; Comparing FK8's lap time on Sodegaura Circuit 1664305189108

Honda Civic 10th gen FL5 Track oil/coolant Temp; Comparing FK8's lap time on Sodegaura Circuit 1664305201325

Honda Civic 10th gen FL5 Track oil/coolant Temp; Comparing FK8's lap time on Sodegaura Circuit 1664306070398

Last Pics provided by DKwen

OP
OP
Rainy4s

Rainy4s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 STI
another good track lap time done by Akihiko Nakaya, track AUTOPOLIS(オートポリス), using OEM PS4s rather than H0 Cup2c, coolant temp is 105°c/ 221 F,oil temp is roughly 135°c/275 F
he had the second faster lap time & best LogR score among 30 journalists according to FL5/FK8 Project development Leader Hideki Kakinuma

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Ample....and I mean AMPLE time to put up some Nürburgring times vs the FK8. And all I hear are crickets.

FK8 FTW - maybe all this voltron wing action ....does stuff? LOL.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
I'm surprised no one has done a simple drag race yet between the two. Car has been out for some time now.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
I watched this video the other day of the FL5 at Sonoma raceway. It looks like ambient temps were 60 degrees.

Watching ECT, I think I saw a high of around 210F.

Factors to consider when looking at the ECT; cooler ambient temps, driver doesnt seem at 10/10ths and is behind traffic the entire time, car isnt tuned

OP
OP
Rainy4s

Rainy4s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 STI
I think it's still highly related to the ambient temps, in Suzuka, it was 28°C/82°F, the ECT was 113°C/235 °F, and it keeps heating up everything(AIT and oil). But if ambient temps‘s low like in this case, once you let off throttle, it drops quite quickly from 210F/264 F

OP
OP
Rainy4s

Rainy4s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 STI
for reference, forget to post a few weeks ago

Super GT driver Hideki Mutoh's lap time on Sodegaura Circuit, the time is consistently quicker than DK's, fastest 1:15.90

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Finally a drag race between the FL5 and FK8:

TLDR from a roll, FK8 > FL5. From a dig, FL5 > FK8 although could be left up to how well its launched and other factors like tires.

On a course, FL5 > FK8 > GR Corolla

Last edited:

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan, 2015 Acura MDX Elite
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

TLDR from a roll, FK8 > FL5. From a dig, FL5 > FK8 although could be left up to how well its launched and other factors like tires.

PS4S tires and a 265 width are the reason for the launch and faster track time. The FL5 is a reskinned FK8 that had a few too many pies.

VashTheStampede

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8, FK7, EG2
Country flag

That TLDR isn’t quite right -

Note what Thomas says at the end that everyone else reviewing the FL5 is afraid to say at 23:12 - “…If you put the [FK8] on PS4S, it’s probably within a shot of being the same time around a track.”

Note what I said above -wayyyy back on 9:27

“To put two and two together here, the facelifted FK8, non-LE with the same tires as the LE or the same as the FL5 is likely just as fast or faster than the FL5 on certain tracks (including the Ring), and may be just as-fast-as-makes-no-difference as the LE.

Looks to me like upping the boost a tad and throwing some bigger tires on the car did not equate to faster lapping on big tracks or tracks that need aero.”

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
PS4S tires and a 265 width are the reason for the launch and faster track time. The FL5 is a reskinned FK8 that had a few too many pies.
Duh, old 245 Contis are not going to perform anything like new 265 Michelins. Easily explains the FL5's faster lap time. Most of us who track our cars use sticky 265 or bigger tires and the extra weight of the FL5 is not performance enhancing. If, as it appears, the cooling issues are not significantly changed, the FL5 really is, like the Throttle House review says, the Accord Type R.

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan, 2015 Acura MDX Elite
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Duh, old 245 Contis are not going to perform anything like new 265 Michelins. Easily explains the FL5's faster lap time. Most of us who track our cars use sticky 265 or bigger tires and the extra weight of the FL5 is not performance enhancing. If, as it appears, the cooling issues are not significantly changed, the FL5 really is, like the Throttle House review says, the Accord Type R.
No kidding lol. I’d laugh if anyone thought that extra weight on an already 3,000lbs car would be considered performance enhancing.

VashTheStampede

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8, FK7, EG2
Country flag
I’m just surprised that only one reviewer channel (throttle house) had the balls to compare the FL5 to the FK8. Seems that Honda tried to keep that from happening. Hell, even in Savagegeese’s video, Mark deflected the direct question of how it compares to the FK8 to a tantalizing comparison to the GR Corolla. 😂

VashTheStampede

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8, FK7, EG2
Country flag
Is anyone else thinking that the 2024 Integra Type S may be the car they’re going for the Nurburgring record with?

FL5 - Set up for tracks like Suzuka and Tskuba
FK8 - Set up for Nurburgring and similar

Integra Type S(R?) - Maybe the actual successor to the FK8’s setup?
Sponsored