FL5 models will be built in China?

Res0zsfa

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona N, CTR, G35 (sold), 01 s2k, 370z (sold)
Country flag
There’s news going around that some FL5’s will be built in China and only sold in China.

1) First time in history a Type R is sold in China

2) Final assembly is done at the Dongfeng-Honda motor company, a joint venture between dongfent and Honda

3) Some uniqueness only for Chinese market by requirements and laws

4) It’s built for China market in China - required by law

No FL5 built in China by Dongfeng Honda will be exported for sale outside of China. Only cars in Yorii, Japan are exported and distributed by Honda in other countries like USA, UK, Europe, Malaysia, Australia, Vietnam, Philippines, Etc.

- I’m wondering how this will affect number plates/badging of fl5 type r’s
- also wondering if there will be more oem accessory options that you can import

https://www.dongfeng-honda.com/?fbclid=IwAR3_ktJC_Q36SEfVtFGYniQ1vCVHC6SLZcBqFSO_jGLGyKM97R4yHH3DGrE
Sponsored

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
If true. China made fl5 will be the most rare. 😂

CtrlAltElite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Civic Type R
Country flag
I can't wait for the inevitable knock off or counterfeit "OEM" parts to be sold on Aliexpress and Wish.com. The people making fake Rs can also rejoice since those parts will be so cheap.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
I've talked to a few engineers who are forced to work with Chinese companies because "its a big maaaaarket". Then executives can't believe when they see their machine or idea a few years later ripped off with unimaginable precision, now rebranded and for sale in China for a third of the price.

I don't understand companies collaborating with Chinese companies on patent protected tech. The short term allure of the Chinese market blinds these companies from the long term ramifications of a country that doesn't respect intellectual property.

At least by not working with them in engineering/manufacturing, you force them to actually buy the thing and try to retro rip it off which at least results in an inferior final product. But no.....instead they give them a detailed blueprint on the entire process just to make the short term buck.

If this is true, bad move by Honda. Interested to see side by side QC comparison between the ones made in Japan and these Chinese ones. Bet it will be disgruntled Swindon factory 2.0 coming out of China.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
Curious what china car companies will make knock off type r cars. It happened to tesla in china.

fl5 will be the bastard type r if such comes to pass.