Cam1456

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type r 2018
Country flag
I just got a 2021 type r bb & I’m still new to this type of Manual shift box, and was wondering what Rpms to shift at from 1st to 2nd to 3rd after that I’m okay. I get a blip jerk from the car for like 2 secs while shifting from 1st to 2nd. I’m not sure if I’m not letting the clutch to fast or if I’m putting gas between the shifts. Also I have opened the hood but putting it down doesn’t completely shut. I have to let it fall from the top to full close, is this normal?
Sponsored

gohighhhehrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Also I have opened the hood but putting it down doesn’t completely shut. I have to let it fall from the top to full close, is this normal?
The manual explains this, but you gotta drop the hood from about 30cm up. It's built that way so you don't accidentally dent it by pushing it down.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Puttering around between 2k-3k - bit less if you're trying to save fuel. Clutch release should be a nice smooth motion not crazy fast but not lingering either. You'll get a feel for it, it's a very easy car to 'feel' and drive imo. Enjoy and welcome to the club!

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
You will naturally get as many pieces of advice on shifting as there are people shifting; it is part of the liturgy of the Church of the Third Pedal. For me, the car has a very good manual transmission, and I tend to be one of those who shifts out of first fairly quick, 2-3k, because really first doesn't do much more than get you going IMO. Second I don't linger in either, 3k again, sometimes more or less, because it's in third that on normal roads at least I can get some benefit from revving a bit higher. But on regular streets, I am shifting much lower than I would say on a track or something, because for the most part you are going too damn fast if you are running third and fourth out to redline for sure.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
IMO, when you shift (what RPM) depends upon what you are trying to do. You will notice if you shift and the RPM drops too low, the engine will struggle and you won't be able to accelerate much. Don't do that. And shift at redline or before. The faster you wnat to accelerate, the higher the RPM you shift (and the more fuel you use).

I typically shift around 4-5k RPM, but it varies from 3 to 7 depending.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
The manual explains this, but you gotta drop the hood from about 30cm up. It's built that way so you don't accidentally dent it by pushing it down.
I remember walking around the Honda dealership after putting down the deposit on the Type R. Popped the hood of an Si. Tried to close it gently, when it didn’t close a salesman came up to me and told me you have to drop it down from a foot as to not bend the hood.Kind of the opposite of what I was used to, but it is also in the manual.
Sponsored