FK8 vs FL5 interesting result

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
It has to be more than gearing. I remember when the s550 mustangs came along there was a video on youtube that showed a 3.31 geared gt vs 3.73 gt. The 3.73 was faster off the line but they ran nearly identical quarter mile times.

maybe there is an aero advantage on the fk8 at speed?
a curious thing.

Also, broken in engine doesnt make that much of a difference as shown in the video. Considering the thread with a fl5 dyno being higher than a fk8 stock dyno. Bet that car aint “broken in”. Lol
Sponsored

speedyserg

First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
The FL5 weighs 90lbs more and has a weaker final drive - the 11whp difference up top isnt enough to overcome that really
The stock to stock comparisons are ok but who here keeps their R stock?

The real test will comes with mods as the new turbo and exhaust port changes will have a pretty dramatic effect on flow apples to apples.

The longer final drive allows for more speed in the lower gears and alot of autoX guys will appreciate being able to stay in a lower gear vs having to upshift

Also as you add more power the longer final drive reduces the wheelspin - more mph per rpm and allows you to not have to shift into 5th at the drag strip on higher power

The 11th gen is japanese built - has more room inside - nicer interior quality- has better cooling - 15% stiffer chassis - better stock dampers for R compound tires and alot more room underhood for a big turbo lol

The FK8 is a machine - the FL5 is an evolution towards a wider market to appeal to an even wider audience. A little more bespoke, slightly more "upscale" given the market demoghapics of us old guys buying them for well above msrp lol

Most of can easily afford german rivals but wouldnt want or keep an oil leaking mess of a german car in our driveways - let alone mod and track it like we do the R.

Im in the market for a sports car (2 seat) as a daily .....had looked at alot of new offerings - very impressive - but ALL of them are marked up and most make Type R markup laughable. I paid 12k over for my 21 R at then end of the production cycle. Figured I could trade in the 21 if the 23 was something I liked more - now Im keeping the 21 forever and looking for a daily so I can go even harder on the 21 lol

My local dealer wants 30k over for their first FL5 ....who knows - somebody might pay it.
The local GT4 RS market was 80 to 100k over window for an allocation
The new Z06 is similar

Special cars in limited supply have crazy markups making them more of a speculators play toy.

Honda had limited the R to about 5000 units per year as a goal for the US ....I think in 2020 and 2021 they made even less than that due to supply chain issues. The FL5 will probably produced even less - Japan has 10,000 orders to fill for domestic demand in Japan - they have priority which means a small trickle will make it stateside for the next 6 to 12 months maybe longer = markups will stay high

Ill probably buy an LE version in the final year - final ICE Type R from Japan ....unless the recession hits harder and they go for MSRP before then lol The Mugen stuff looks pretty good for them too

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
true nothing like a Japanese built car

Warpspeed

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo8, EF Civic Si, and 2020 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
I don't like it when some of these "reviewers" describe the FL5 a "mature" looking compared to the FK8. THERE'S NOTHING MATURE about this car. It's a Civic. They should say : "a more subtle design." Too me the term "mature" describe cars like Audi,BMW 5-7 series and Lexus. My 2cents.

Learn2turn:)

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW FK8, 2005 S2000, 1995 Miata
Country flag
Im in the market for a sports car (2 seat) as a daily .....had looked at alot of new offerings - very impressive - but ALL of them are marked up and most make Type R markup laughable.
I sent you a PM regarding my S2000 for sale.

jabberwocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GRolla/Pilot/Tacoma
I don't like it when some of these "reviewers" describe the FL5 a "mature" looking compared to the FK8. THERE'S NOTHING MATURE about this car. It's a Civic. They should say : "a more subtle design." Too me the term "mature" describe cars like Audi,BMW 5-7 series and Lexus. My 2cents.
It looks just like an Audi. Does your internet have a different looking FL5?

jayevo23

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR
Country flag
Hearing them talk about how ugly and immature the FK8 looks does get old quick and is annoying. That and some YouTubers saying the FL5 is so much better when it’s more like a minor upgrade unless you’re considering the exterior and interior which is subjective

Mygo123459

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R (PMM)
Country flag
They made a good point about the fl5’s wing…it does look like an afterthought…I mean aftermarket piece to the car. And the mature look, imo, is due to it looking similar to an accord ;)

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
People will really not buy this car because its a few tenths of a second slower in a roll race and 1/4 mile? ROFL. I dont live my life a 1/4 mile at a time.. I couldnt care less that the new R is a little slower than the current R. Ill buy one if I can find one at MSRP in a year or two - I am not in a rush, but I also wont write it off because its not faster in a straight line. If that really mattered to me I would go buy a Mustang GT.

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan, 2015 Acura MDX Elite
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
People will really not buy this car because its a few tenths of a second slower in a roll race and 1/4 mile? ROFL. I dont live my life a 1/4 mile at a time.. I couldnt care less that the new R is a little slower than the current R. Ill buy one if I can find one at MSRP in a year or two - I am not in a rush, but I also wont write it off because its not faster in a straight line. If that really mattered to me I would go buy a Mustang GT.
Meh I think people are more disappointed by the performance jump. Kind of like how the EP3 to FN2 was. Updated car with same internals and negligible performance increase. At the end of the day the FN2 is still an R, but a disappointment from the previous gen. The jump from FK2 to FK8 was more substantial performance wise where the FK8 to FL5 seems less so.

Last edited:

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Hearing them talk about how ugly and immature the FK8 looks does get old quick and is annoying. That and some YouTubers saying the FL5 is so much better when it’s more like a minor upgrade unless you’re considering the exterior and interior which is subjective
And why would anyone think a YT reviewer is impartial? Even the "pro's" at places like Car & Driver have an incentive to stress the positives of any car they review. i.e. if they do a bad review, they won't get to review the next car that comes along, and then they won't have content, and without content no click, no clicks means no money.

Super Fast Matt posted a review on YT recently about the FL5, and his opportunity to review it etc. Half the video is about how luxurious Honda treated him for the review. At least he's being honest about how he's being treated, and that Honda (and everyone else) goes all out to put the reviewers in a good mood so they create positive reviews.

Reactions: gxl

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
They made a good point about the fl5’s wing…it does look like an afterthought…I mean aftermarket piece to the car. And the mature look, imo, is due to it looking similar to an accord ;)
I'm not a huge fan of big wings but...

The wing on the FK8 suits the car perfectly. On the other hand, I'm not sure what Honda was thinking on the toned down FL5. They go ahead and take away a lot of the fun personality to try to get more of the older crowd buying the car. Then for some unknown reason they tack on a Pep Boys spoiler. Makes no sense.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
I'm not a huge fan of big wings but...

The wing on the FK8 suits the car perfectly. On the other hand, I'm not sure what Honda was thinking on the toned down FL5. They go ahead and take away a lot of the fun personality to try to get more of the older crowd buying the car. Then for some unknown reason they tack on a Pep Boys spoiler. Makes no sense.
HEH now! Some of us "older crowd"(72yo here) love the FK8 styling and think the FL5 is taxi cab style with a Boi Racer wing hung on the back.
Sponsored