CW_CTR

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2009 RDX, 2007 Accord
Country flag
So wider tires and newer rubber makes the fl5 faster around a track. But slower in a straight line.
tire and wheel swap, which is common on our platform negates fl5 advantages.
your basically paying for new looks and infotainment. Not worth the adm.
Truth, but still the FK8 infotainment is legend-level awful. And a Civic shouldn't look grown up, it's been the gag since the EA.

ADM is an entirely separate, shitty subject
Sponsored

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Idc if it’s 2 seconds faster on the track, it is a stylistic abomination and someone should be held criminally liable for putting a wing on an Accord and calling it the new Type R
Honda Civic 10th gen FK8 vs FL5 interesting result giphy

VashTheStampede

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8, FK7, EG2
Country flag
Y’all keep mentioning FL5 and FK8 lap times at the Ring and endurance on track, but I haven’t heard anyone actually mention anything about aerodynamics - which, IMO, is one of the huge factors in why the FL5 isn’t setting lap records. One of the huge design elements for the FL5 was to move it to a more mainstream design and away from the FK8 - that compromise had to have certain costs. This is probably why they’re so proud of setting records on short tracks and staying silent on the long high speed ones.

Also, why hasn’t anyone posted a top speed for the FL5?

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
Y’all keep mentioning FL5 and FK8 lap times at the Ring and endurance on track, but I haven’t heard anyone actually mention anything about aerodynamics - which, IMO, is one of the huge factors in why the FL5 isn’t setting lap records. One of the huge design elements for the FL5 was to move it to a more mainstream design and away from the FK8 - that compromise had to have certain costs. This is probably why they’re so proud of setting records on short tracks and staying silent on the long high speed ones.

Also, why hasn’t anyone posted a top speed for the FL5?
I, like many remember all the aero graphs of the fk8. The design was purposefully built. Thats why so many honda heads were having a conniption over the design. The fl5 rights the course for those fragile heads and went back to 00s in its soft and safe design.

the shorter tracks benefit the fl5 in wider and newer tire tech imo. I cant help but wonder if the fk8 was the fwd goldilock zone (not too fast, not too expensive, just right)until hybrid or ev tech comes along.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
FL5 has those graphs too boys. It’s got better underbody aero which is why the wing is smaller.

gxl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R PMM
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm gonna need to ask where that is because I like me some technical writing. I mentioned it in a post somewhere, don't remember where, but the FK8 has a drag coefficient of .26 compared to something like an EV of a certain brand at .20. Was very curious to see if there is anything dramatic for the FL5.

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan, 2015 Acura MDX Elite
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
FL5 has those graphs too boys. It’s got better underbody aero which is why the wing is smaller.
Do you have a link to them? I remember watching a technical about the FL5 where someone stated what you said but I’d like to see the actual data and wind tunnel testing. I find that stuff so interesting.

VashTheStampede

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8, FK7, EG2
Country flag
Do you have a link to them? I remember watching a technical about the FL5 where someone stated what you said but I’d like to see the actual data and wind tunnel testing. I find that stuff so interesting.
What’s also interesting about these graphs and numbers, is that if you watch, for example, Savagegeese’s video, he includes slides on design improvements for the FL5 from Honda. Look closely at those graphs and you’ll see Honda, once again, playing a shell game as all FL5 “improvements” are compared to the 2017 FK8, not the 2020. It makes a little more sense as to why Throttle House’s 2020 FK8 did some “things” in their video.
Honda Civic 10th gen FK8 vs FL5 interesting result 584298F7-069B-4D0E-A49F-C30013EAD275

Last edited:

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I, like many remember all the aero graphs of the fk8. The design was purposefully built. Thats why so many honda heads were having a conniption over the design. The fl5 rights the course for those fragile heads and went back to 00s in its soft and safe design.

the shorter tracks benefit the fl5 in wider and newer tire tech imo. I cant help but wonder if the fk8 was the fwd goldilock zone (not too fast, not too expensive, just right)until hybrid or ev tech comes along.
I think you're 100% correct with this assessment. Car is silly balanced and capable - and I think the Aero very functional esp at high speed.
Sponsored