m_kluch

First Name
Maryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
While I had my IM off I decided to look down the intake runners just to see how dirty the valves were. Car has 41K miles and hasnt had an oil catch can until recently. I did wipe the sides of the runners before shooting this video but not down by the valves where it splits off into two halves. Where I wiped it was pretty sooty and black but not really oily. The intake manifold on the other hand was pretty oily and dirty on the entire inside of it. I was surprised at how oily and dirty the intake manifold was. Valves look pretty clean to me.

xXoVrKiLLXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R ABM
Looks good man. Probably safe to say that with what little buildup/coking there is on the valve stems a OCC would cut any of that back dramatically.​

Augenauf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
would a catch can prevent this?

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
iirc the valve cover has an air/oil separator built in. some swear by OCCs but there are type Rs out there with high mileage (70k+) with no OCC and the valves still look OK.

At stock power levels, i dont think an OCC is necessary really. Might be something to consider making more power.

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R - Boost Blue; 2024 Civic Touring - SGP
Country flag
The intake manifold on the other hand was pretty oily and dirty on the entire inside of it. I was surprised at how oily and dirty the intake manifold was.
Do you have an oiled air filter? K&N or something?
Those often leave oil downstream from the filter.

haltamer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 (UK / RHD!)
Country flag
This sort of answers my thoughts on catch cans and intake cleaning - Seems Honda have done a decent job from the factory of ensuring they aren't coked up quickly, as I'd expect from them really.

As on a previous thread I raised; I think I'd rather go with light water methanol injection than catch cans - A constant washing effect for the full intake manifold and valves with the bonus of increased RON / decreased IAT.

I imagine a light misting of watermeth would make fairly quick work of that light oily residue and keep it fairly spotless.

engineering

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
That's insane how clean they are, Honda has really mastered direct injection without having to use a separate injector to clean them.

Chizzo

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic type r, 1996 civic ex
Country flag
I catch this much every oil change. Its thinner than 0-20 oil, almost water really. Better to be out than in. Mishimoto catch can is what i use with a turn knob drain for easy dumping. FBO w 340tq, 330hp and i hit vtec every single day more than i should.

Honda Civic 10th gen FK8 valves after 40K miles w/no oil catch can 20230201_133555

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
I catch this much every oil change. Its thinner than 0-20 oil, almost water really. Better to be out than in. Mishimoto catch can is what i use with a turn knob drain for easy dumping. FBO w 340tq, 330hp and i hit vtec every single day more than i should.

20230201_133555.jpg
Pretty similar to what I catch each oil change as well.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
Honda did well. I believe the OCC benefits those who do short commutes or running at the track. If you drive highways mostly than a lot of that condensation wouldnt be there in your can sample. Also there is the aspect of oil you are using. If it has the latest strict certs from manufacturers that have been in gdi arena for a while like mb and vw you should be good.
Sponsored