Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
Have you ever had any oil analysis done on your oil to see what is really going on?
It's not necessary for a street vehicle. If the car is rated to use a specific type of oil for x-mileage, that's all you need. The engineers have already figured this out. Then, when you use an oil that is better than the minimum requirement, sending your oil for testing is a waste of time. There are only two factors you should need to consider and that is the cold-oil and hot-oil viscosity grades - or multigrades.

The climate range on oil is usually between -30°C to 40°C and if the coldest and hottest temperatures are within that range, you should never change the weight of the oil. Most people will never experience colder than -30°C so the cold-oil grade should always be 0-weight. This is the least amount of resistance / fastest circulating / most protection in all relative temperature ranges on start-up. If you live in a climate where the temperature does not exceed 40°C, you should never need to increase the hot-oil grade - you should always use 20-weight. For the purpose of these cars that specify 0w20 oil, this what and all you need for every day driving. You read it as 0-Winter Temperature / 20-Operational Temperature.

If you live in a hot climate that exceeds 40°C (usually in the summer), that is when you increase the hot-oil grade. In the the lower US states where it gets really hot in the summer, you could use 0w30 or 0w40 for higher hot-oil temperature protection.

As for tracking or racing your Civic, there is no relevant information here. The ambient air temperature, track temperature, engine temperature, type of racing and other factors determine what type of oil you should be using and for that, no one's opinion here matters at all.

I just wanted to add that your oil has to meet the manufacture's oil change intervals as well, even though that should go without saying.. ;)

And lastly, the minimum required Castrol oil that meets Honda's requirements is EDGE, and I'm using EDGE Extended Performance to meet the 24,000km per year regulation with better protection. It's estimated I will put 12,000-16,000 on the car each oil change by the maintenance minder's tracking.
Sponsored

Last edited:

NevadaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Furthermoer, some of the "good synthetic name brands" out there like Royal Purple and Mobil 1 make some products that should be absolutely avoided in turbo engines.
Would like to know the reasoning on why you say this. Could you please explain?
Been lurking the internet for the best oil for GDI turbos and carbon buildup and this is the first time I've seen this.

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
This is entirely wrong.

For the NC generation of the Mazda Miata, Mazda used the exact same engine worldwide, but stipulated four different oil weights, depending on region of the world, entirely based on climate. True story.
It’s entirely true. You are confusing hot viscosity (second number) and cold viscosity (first number). In your NC Miata example, the manual specifies 0W20 in the US and Canada or 5W20 in the rest of the world (if available). The lower cold viscosity (0 instead of 5 weight) is specified in colder climates because it reduces wear on cold startups. The hot viscosity (20 weight) is the same for both oils.

Cold viscosity absolutely should be selected based on climate, but hot viscosity of the oil is not selected based on climate (as an engine with a correctly functioning coolant system will reach the same internal temperature regardless of OAT).

I have to agree with what you are saying about 0W-20. It IS used for fuel economy purposes.

And for the doubters, yes, oil is used for cooling the engine also. A heavier weight oil apparently cools better. There’s a reason 0w-40 is a common oil used at the track.

Alvav isn’t lying. At all. Y’all can believe what you want otherwise though.
A 40 weight hot viscosity oil DOES NOT cool the engine better. The engine will run slightly hotter with 40 weight than if you use a 30 weight or 20 weight hot viscosity oil.

However, a 40 weight hot viscosity oil will protect engine components more effectively in extreme use (i.e. track use or prolonged very high elevation use).

This is why a 20 weight hot viscosity oil is a “fuel economy” oil. There is less friction on engine components because the oil is less viscous and thus does not cling to internal components as effectively.

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
And, if you reread my post, I clearly said that, in Vancouver, he e should be fine with 0W20. Then you throw in 50 and 60 weight oils to prove your point of more wear...where did this ever enter the discussion? And then, you say warm. I believe that 40C qualifies as hot. Stop twisting my words.
40C is warm in the context of an engine with 110-120C operating oil temperatures.

The difference between an OAT of 30C and 40C is entirely negligible once the car is “up to temp”. From a sitting outside in the sun perspective, yes, 40C is hot :).

No matter where you are with your CTR, you are fine with a 20 weight hot viscosity, fully synthetic oil. Might be a good idea (as previously stated) to move to a 0W30 or a 5W30 for track duty.

Vtisi4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si
Country flag
In the real world, in very hot temperatures the outcome is very different. 1.5 turbo 0 w20 after about 3000 miles checked deep stick and 1/2 quarter of oil was gone. Dealer said it was due to the dilution. Same engine VA weather no problems when checking deep stick. First hondas recommended oil 20 w 50, next 10w 40. 10w 30 .... now 0w 20 soon 0w 16 like the new Camrys.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
LOL if you ever want to over complicate something simple just come to a car forum and ask people's opinions LOL open cap insert recommended oil easy. Not on a forum, they will have you questioning everything , watching videos, recommendations, oil spreadsheets, climate changes, global warming, who bottles it, what color the bottle is, oil analysis .... they will have you afraid to even start the car with out a certified oil engineer present... just go to dealer get a oil change you will be fine. Its amazing all the cars from the 40s 50s 60s that are still running and never saw a drop of synthetic oil. because... they used the recommended for those types of engines. Man Honda built it tested it spent more money of tests for the civic line then any of us will see in a lifetime and here we are questioning their recommendations. All this for a car most of us won't keep 5 years anyway.

OneSickFK8

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM FK8
Country flag
LOL if you ever want to over complicate something simple just come to a car forum and ask people's opinions LOL open cap insert recommended oil easy. Not on a forum, they will have you questioning everything , watching videos, recommendations, oil spreadsheets, climate changes, global warming, who bottles it, what color the bottle is, oil analysis .... they will have you afraid to even start the car with out a certified oil engineer present... just go to dealer get a oil change you will be fine. Its amazing all the cars from the 40s 50s 60s that are still running and never saw a drop of synthetic oil. because... they used the recommended for those types of engines. Man Honda built it tested it spent more money of tests for the civic line then any of us will see in a lifetime and here we are questioning their recommendations. All this for a car most of us won't keep 5 years anyway.
"Climate change" :rofl:

Honda Civic 10th gen FK8 TYPE R SUGGESTED BRAND OIL TO USE FB_IMG_1572994474739

Japsw20

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR
Country flag
There are 3 things you do not speak about, religion, politics, or oil (specifically the cult of Amsoil). No easier way to get men swinging their purses at each other.

fk8mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
so ive read some post and some are on the fact that the honda does xxxxxxhours test/engineer well im a bit confused on that statement,,they dont do this on their transmission for sure

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
In the real world, in very hot temperatures the outcome is very different. 1.5 turbo 0 w20 after about 3000 miles checked deep stick and 1/2 quarter of oil was gone. Dealer said it was due to the dilution. Same engine VA weather no problems when checking deep stick. First hondas recommended oil 20 w 50, next 10w 40. 10w 30 .... now 0w 20 soon 0w 16 like the new Camrys.
A half quarter? It's not weed man - it's oil. It's called one eighth. :p
(yes, I know in the US a half q is still called an eighth but in the North, it's referred to as a "half quarter")

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A half quarter? It's not weed man - it's oil. It's called one eighth. :p
(yes, I know in the US a half q is still called an eighth but in the North, it's referred to as a "half quarter")
I'm pretty sure he meant 1/2 quart. You see, in the US, we use proven measuring units (ounce, quart, gallon) since the Stone Age. Unlike the rest of the world that uses those newfangled units (gram, mL, and Liter) that nobody understands. What's good enough for the cavemen is good enough for us (US).

ThunderJAG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Hi Folks,
Thanks for clarifying different grade of motor oil. May I ask what brand name 0W-20 Full Synthetic (mobil, honda, valvoline, castrol, pennzoil, etc...) would anyone suggest and why for my 2019 Civic Type R? Thanks in advance.
Happy New Year everyone!!! :p Cheer!!!

Deleted member 31314

Whatever you like, now and days most good synthetics are all the same. I like AMSOIL personally.