FK8 Type R - Minor cosmetic imperfections.

hellodrenick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R #836
I was just wondering if you have seen very minor cosmetic imperfections with your Type R? I noticed that my front right vent near the wheel is slightly off and bent, not noticeable but if you look closer you will see the imperfection of the plastic.
Sponsored

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #330, '17 Jeep GC Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There have been plenty complaints of paint issues where it looks like the factory found some defects, wet sanded, and the next person down the line didn't polish it. I spent an entire afternoon with a DA polisher doing my best to fix the dealership paint swirls and remove the two paint hazes I found in the clear coat. The haze spots were really easy to remove with an orange pad and some light compound, then polished with white and black pads. The damn swirls were harder to remove and I still need to go back and spot polish some more. By time the dealership called me to tell me about the arrival they already had it in detail.........

NT413

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My dealer also detailed mine, swirl marks they made did come out. I noticed what looked like really well done touch up paint on the front near a headlight. I hate to see that on a brand new car, but I'll probably make road chips on my own.

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My dealer also detailed mine, swirl marks they made did come out. I noticed what looked like really well done touch up paint on the front near a headlight. I hate to see that on a brand new car, but I'll probably make road chips on my own.
I already have two little chips on the hood from my weekend road trip.... I used a clear coat pen to keep it sealed for the time being. Will probably take it to a well known detail shop to wet sand it properly and apply the proper touch up paint. Shit happens and they aren't as big of a deal as people make it.

OP
OP

hellodrenick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R #836
I already have two little chips on the hood from my weekend road trip.... I used a clear coat pen to keep it sealed for the time being. Will probably take it to a well known detail shop to wet sand it properly and apply the proper touch up paint. Shit happens and they aren't as big of a deal as people make it.
I'm sorry to hear that brothers! I know cosmetic damages are part of the normal wear and tear process of a car but it's just disappointing to see some very minor imperfections from a brand new vehicle. I hope your issues will be resolved.

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm sorry to hear that brothers! I know cosmetic damages are part of the normal wear and tear process of a car but it's just disappointing to see some very minor imperfections from a brand new vehicle. I hope your issues will be resolved.
Yep, just a matter of time. Many people that ask me about the car ask why I don't put a clear bra on it, ceramic coat it, etc etc etc... I'd rather spend my money elsewhere. Rock chips will happen and they are not hard to fix. I even scratched one of the wheels in a parking lot because whoever designed the lot decided that putting a concrete median two feet past the plants at a forced 90° turn was a good idea. It made me furious, but even that is not hard to fix. Just looks like crap until it's done.

Rawklobster

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2017
I was just wondering if you have seen very minor cosmetic imperfections with your Type R? I noticed that my front right vent near the wheel is slightly off and bent, not noticeable but if you look closer you will see the imperfection of the plastic.
I too had at least a dozen of these swirls in the paint that were never buffed out. They looked awful when the car was in direct sunlight . Brought it back and the dealership half assed the re detailing. They only found and removed about half of them. Went to pick it up and found at least 4 spots they missed.
Just curious what colour all your cars were? Mine is black so they are quite noticeable.

NT413

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I too had at least a dozen of these swirls in the paint that were never buffed out. They looked awful when the car was in direct sunlight . Brought it back and the dealership half assed the re detailing. They only found and removed about half of them. Went to pick it up and found at least 4 spots they missed.
Just curious what colour all your cars were? Mine is black so they are quite noticeable.
Black.

VTECnR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Civic Type R
Country flag
Yep, just a matter of time. Many people that ask me about the car ask why I don't put a clear bra on it, ceramic coat it, etc etc etc... I'd rather spend my money elsewhere. Rock chips will happen and they are not hard to fix. I even scratched one of the wheels in a parking lot because whoever designed the lot decided that putting a concrete median two feet past the plants at a forced 90° turn was a good idea. It made me furious, but even that is not hard to fix. Just looks like crap until it's done.
I had deep buffer hooks in my roof along with a blend line... had 5" buffer burn circles in 3 places on the car too. Honda authorized the repainting of my roof and let me take it to the local Ferrari/Porsche/BMW warranty paint shop to get the work done. I just got it back and spent 2 days doing a full paint correction. It looks as it should now... flawless.

Honda Civic 10th gen FK8 Type R - Minor cosmetic imperfections. 20170827_202347
Honda Civic 10th gen FK8 Type R - Minor cosmetic imperfections. 20170828_231201

HondaReese23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 and EM1
You can never go wrong with black. That paint looks amazing! I already have a tough time maintaining my NHP EM1 so I had to go with CW on my Type R.
I will be doing a complete buff and ceramic coat this weekend so hopefully I will be happy with my results.

There were many dealer imperfections with mine as well.

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had deep buffer hooks in my roof along with a blend line... had 5" buffer burn circles in 3 places on the car too. Honda authorized the repainting of my roof and let me take it to the local Ferrari/Porsche/BMW warranty paint shop to get the work done. I just got it back and spent 2 days doing a full paint correction. It looks as it should now... flawless.

20170827_202347.jpg
20170828_231201.jpg
Uhm that looks much better than mine haha

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
The 'good' news is the hood is aluminum, so it won't really rust the way a steel hood would.

SnapOn_86

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Civic Si

20170827_202347.jpg
20170828_231201.jpg
Your car looks absolutely incredible dude, just wow.

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The 'good' news is the hood is aluminum, so it won't really rust the way a steel hood would.
Oh well damn then I wouldn't have used the clear coat pen because now I don't know the proper way to remove the clear coat on the chips to apply the touch up paint, wet sand, and polish. Any thoughts?
Sponsored