Dc5fc1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic 4dr si. 2002 Acura rsx type s. 2004 subaru baja
Country flag
how is it going people. Just had a question. I need to know if the type r springs will fit the struts on a 4dr si. I've searched the forums and got no definite answer. Please help.
Sponsored

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
how is it going people. Just had a question. I need to know if the type r springs will fit the struts on a 4dr si. I've searched the forums and got no definite answer. Please help.
Any updates?

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They will fit but the springs are much stiffer.
I looked into maybe buying them and installing them but didn't do it in the end.

This is what i've gathered from oem SI springs and oem FK8 springs.

OEM Si springs
Front 2.67K , Length= 28cm (11")
Rear 3.81K , Length=28.5cm (11.2")

Oem FK8 Springs
Front 4.7K , Length= 24cm ( 9.44")
Rear 4.2K , Length= 28.5cm (11.2")

The rear springs are the same length but because of the higher spring rate will most likely raise the car height.
The front Spring are much shorter , but because of the much higher spring rate they will most likely be the same height or slightly higher then stock SI.
Keeping in mind that these springs are Lineair front and back i can almost certainly guess the front springs are going to be too stiff and the rears are going to be fine.

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They will fit but the springs are much stiffer.
I looked into maybe buying them and installing them but didn't do it in the end.

This is what i've gathered from oem SI springs and oem FK8 springs.

OEM Si springs
Front 2.67K , Length= 28cm (11")
Rear 3.81K , Length=28.5cm (11.2")

Oem FK8 Springs
Front 4.7K , Length= 24cm ( 9.44")
Rear 4.2K , Length= 28.5cm (11.2")

The rear springs are the same length but because of the higher spring rate will most likely raise the car height.
The front Spring are much shorter , but because of the much higher spring rate they will most likely be the same height or slightly higher then stock SI.
Keeping in mind that these springs are Lineair front and back i can almost certainly guess the front springs are going to be too stiff and the rears are going to be fine.
The Whiteline 10th gen front springs are 4.5kg so very close to the oem FK8 fronts. I would actually welcome the added spring rate without any drop. A user on the 11th gen boards actually put FK8 front springs on his 11th gen Si while retaining the oem rear springs. He stated that the front actually raised a tiny bit but expected it to settle back down to original height.

https://www.civicxi.com/forum/threa...tr-front-springs-installed.50738/#post-823650

What surprised me is that the 11th Si rear springs are about 5.6kg the same as 10th Swift rears.

My thoughts are can a 10th Si use the same hybrid setup of FK8 front and FE1 rear and keep the ride height at or very near oem levels? The spring rates would essentially be a mix of Whiteline front and Swift rear. Going one step even further does the FE1 dampers work on 10th gens minus the ADS?

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Whiteline 10th gen front springs are 4.5kg so very close to the oem FK8 fronts. I would actually welcome the added spring rate without any drop. A user on the 11th gen boards actually put FK8 front springs on his 11th gen Si while retaining the oem rear springs. He stated that the front actually raised a tiny bit but expected it to settle back down to original height.

https://www.civicxi.com/forum/threa...tr-front-springs-installed.50738/#post-823650

What surprised me is that the 11th Si rear springs are about 5.6kg the same as 10th Swift rears.

My thoughts are can a 10th Si use the same hybrid setup of FK8 front and FE1 rear and keep the ride height at or very near oem levels? The spring rates would essentially be a mix of Whiteline front and Swift rear. Going one step even further does the FE1 dampers work on 10th gens minus the ADS?

That's why I said keep in mind oem springs are linear front and back .Most aftermarket ones are not.
Whiteline and swift are dual rate springs it has a softer part and a stiffer part.(Actually the whiteline front ones might be linear,but the rear are definitely dual rate )
For example my ST X coilovers have linear rear springs of 5K.The front are progressive and are between 5K - 6K.
Going from that linear springs in the rear will not be a big problem up until 5k with good dampers.The front will most likely get uncomfortable .

I haven't seen pictures of the 11thgen springs but they are most likely also linear..

A 4.5K Linear spring is always 4.5K whatever amount it get compressed.
Dual rate springs have 2 springs combined into 1.Most likely a softer spring of aprox. 2K which will get compressed fully when the stiffer spring of 4.5K will take over.
The biggest problem will be the shocks ,if they can handle the higher spring rate .
Swift updated their springs in the end and went from 3.8K front / 5.5K rear up to 4.1K front and 5.7K rear.Using the FK8 fronts and FE1 rears will be on the max the stock shocks can handle i guess..

Honda Civic 10th gen Fk8 springs on fc1 SPRING-TYPES-1

Honda Civic 10th gen Fk8 springs on fc1 IMG_20190306_143902

Honda Civic 10th gen Fk8 springs on fc1 IMG_3338.JPG

Last edited:

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Using the FK8 fronts and FE1 rears will be on the max the stock shocks can handle i guess..
I have the whitelines sitting in my garage since those have a very mild drop but if there’s an oem solution with no drop that would be best. The ability of the stock dampers to withstand the higher rates long term is a concern of mine too so I’ve been holding out with the hopes of aftermarket dampers like Koni emerging. But sadly i don’t think it’s happening.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the whitelines sitting in my garage since those have a very mild drop but if there’s an oem solution with no drop that would be best. The ability of the stock dampers to withstand the higher rates long term is a concern of mine too so I’ve been holding out with the hopes of aftermarket dampers like Koni emerging. But sadly i don’t think it’s happening.
Koni allready list them in europe but they are still not available to buy .They have 2 version 52mm and 50.5mm shocks. I don't know which one the adaptive dampers are .My EUDM Sedan uses 52mm shocks and are not adaptive.

Just looked onto the koni usa website and they are also listed there ,only the rears are available the fronts are expected in summer 2022. koni usa
Sponsored