Subaru
Country flag

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Isn't the thermoswitch does the job of when to turn on the fan and for the thermostat to regulate the flow of coolant?

OP
OP

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Isn't the thermoswitch does the job of when to turn on the fan and for the thermostat to regulate the flow of coolant?
It looks like they sell a low temp thermostat but does that also trigger when the fan turns on? I think the ECU setting is there to serve as a backup in case the switch fails?

OP
OP

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
I feel like running the fans above let's say 40mph+ vehicle speed won't do anything to aid in cooling. And that it's really to aid in situations where the car is parked or moving below 20mph.

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In serious track situations, this wont help. Once the car gets heat soaked, you need to do a cool down lap regardless. The lower temp thermostat also won't help.

As identified by many already here, the only solution to help slow the heatsoak, and lower temps quickly are:

- Radiator
- Oil Cooler
- Vented hood
- Higher flowing grill

Edit: Also running heater on max.

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In serious track situations, this wont help. Once the car gets heat soaked, you need to do a cool down lap regardless. The lower temp thermostat also won't help.

As identified by many already here, the only solution to help slow the heatsoak, and lower temps quickly are:

- Radiator
- Oil Cooler
- Vented hood
- Higher flowing grill

Agreed on all points. I have all the cooling mods, during the end of my hotlap I shift early around 5k rpm. I immediately begin a cool down afterwards, otherwise 1/4 of the way into the second hotlap my temps rise to 250F+ (monitored via my oil temp gauge).

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag

- Radiator
- Oil Cooler
- Vented hood
- Higher flowing grill

I ran Thunderhill West in 100F+ ambient temps and didn't need to blast the heater to keep temps at bay. This is thanks to the C&R / PWR track rad. I did need to do a cool down half way through my 20 minute session. This is just good practice regardless to help prolong tires and brakes.

I still have some thermal headroom so to speak since I was running an overly large intercooler. The C&R IC should help with consistent IATs as well as reduce overall ECTs.

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I ran Thunderhill West in 100F+ ambient temps and didn't need to blast the heater to keep temps at bay. This is thanks to the C&R / PWR track rad. I did need to do a cool down half way through my 20 minute session. This is just good practice regardless to help prolong tires and brakes.

I still have some thermal headroom so to speak since I was running an overly large intercooler. The C&R IC should help with consistent IATs as well as reduce overall ECTs.
What’s your track time for thunder hill?

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
1:28 with passenger on dead RS4 tires.
Got it. I don’t think you were going fast enough to overheat, no offense Specially with those tires.

I’ll just post these quotes from fast track guys:
Honda Civic 10th gen FK8 radiator fan 1FEA6DEC-8D5A-4460-BF19-F29F05DF1C91

And a reply from someone who got the race version of the radiator and t
Honda Civic 10th gen FK8 radiator fan 351DF60B-DA6C-4732-A621-B197C37C0D4B

Honda Civic 10th gen FK8 radiator fan 415FF88D-9183-4E06-90EC-9653E176F8F5

In conclusion, a radiator does not fix the issue.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Got it. I don’t think you were going fast enough to overheat, no offense Specially with those tires.

I’ll just post these quotes from fast track guys:
1FEA6DEC-8D5A-4460-BF19-F29F05DF1C91.jpeg

And a reply from someone who got the race version of the radiator and t
351DF60B-DA6C-4732-A621-B197C37C0D4B.jpeg

415FF88D-9183-4E06-90EC-9653E176F8F5.jpeg

In conclusion, a radiator does not fix the issue.
LMFAO. Okay bud.

the8rotor

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R
Country flag
I ordered my C&R track radiator and FMIC from Cory just a bit ago. He sent me some information on the track and street radiator, along with their oil cooler that will be coming to market soon.

Their are too many factors that play in to overheating in our cars. Driver skill, mods, and ambient air temperatures to name the most obvious ones. We also know not one product is a cure all for overheating. I really believe a lot of the issues for overheating stem from engine modifications. I'm not saying a stock fk8 won't overheat... because they will. But, I believe the C&R track radiator is the best platform to build a more track reliable cooling system off of.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I ordered my C&R track radiator and FMIC from Cory just a bit ago. He sent me some information on the track and street radiator, along with their oil cooler that will be coming to market soon.

Their are too many factors that play in to overheating in our cars. Driver skill, mods, and ambient air temperatures to name the most obvious ones. We also know not one product is a cure all for overheating. I really believe a lot of the issues for overheating stem from engine modifications. I'm not saying a stock fk8 won't overheat... because they will. But, I believe the C&R track radiator is the best platform to build a more track reliable cooling system off of.
My friend Will just sent in the HKS oil cooler for them to scan and to create a core upgrade for those that have the HKS kit already.

Forget trying to explain to this guy. Dude doesn't realize that Dave and Baxi are personal friends. Baxi who commented, "waiting on a couple of people to test" was in reference to Will and myself.

the8rotor

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R
Country flag
My friend Will just sent in the HKS oil cooler for them to scan and to create a core upgrade for those that have the HKS kit already.

Forget trying to explain to this guy. Dude doesn't realize that Dave and Baxi are personal friends. Baxi who commented, "waiting on a couple of people to test" was in reference to Will and myself.
Figured you had more to the story haha. I mean no offense, you aren't quick enough lol

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Lust I was going to ask also what times you were running, and how hard were you pushing? 10/10ths?

Because you really need to be pushing hard, along with added power to get this car to overheat in the conditions we are talking about.

I ran Buttonwillow CW13 back in December with ambient temps around 70 (Unfortunately didn't datalog & didn't have my AIM SOLO yet), but in the first 9am session, I could only get 6 laps before a cool down. 2nd session got 8 laps before cool down, and i went into limp mode here. Lap time was a 2:05:191

Was pushing 9/10ths. Stock radiator, stock intercooler, high flow grill, Hondata OTS tune.
Sponsored