Glassjaw121986

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda civic si
Country flag
I still have it's around 40 to ship. I also have a new redesigned PTP Intake blanket for sale V2. 20 bucks off of retail price.

Screenshot_20200905-163700_Facebook.jpg
Just a quick question and I'm not being a smart ass. This has always confused me. Turbo blankets keep heat in, Downpipe blankets keep heat in. Why would you put a blanket on the inlet pipe? Genuinely curious. PRL found a few of their Coated Titanium inlet pipe's last week and I ordered one. It will be here today. I've looked at the inlet blanket since I got my R but still don't fully understand why you want it. Thanks in advance

Glassjaw121986

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda civic si
Country flag
From what I've read a couple times on the forum, you generally don't want to wrap the pipe. Especially the titanium ones, cant speak to OEM. The titaniums job is to dissipate the heat as quickly as possible and wrapping in a blanket prevents that. It looks like it could also keep heat in once things start to heat up under the hood, which again, is bad for an inlet where you want the coolest air possible. IMO, don't wrap inlets, wrap the rest.

I personally wrapped a portion of mine in heat reflective tape, which made more sense in my head. Reflect the heat away, don't trap it in.
Awesome thanks for the reply. That was my exact thoughts. It may possibly keep the temp readings more stable for a short period of time but once it really heats up its going to stay hotter longer. I'm hoping the coating on the PRL helps a little more with heat soak. I only bought that option since the regular one's are out of stock everywhere and I happened to check the site the day they added 5 coated ones they had found in the back of the warehouse. They were sold out the next morning again. I'm definitely not wrapping it but I'm going to use the gold reflective tape as well. As long as I can make it look somewhat presentable lol

Glassjaw121986

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda civic si
Country flag
I had the coated one from them and still decided to wrap it. It's a fairly thin coat and had some spots that weren't completely covered, so decided to just heat tape it.
Awesome that's exactly what my plan is. I've experimented with that tape enough to know it does work. It's not a magic fix but it definitely helps

nYdGeo

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
Just an FYI...the two characteristics of titanium that make it desirable for an inlet pipe are 1) the light weight, and 2) the rather unique thermal properties. Titanium has extremely poor thermal conductivity, as in it is very poor and absorbing or transferring heat energy. This is why the titanium brake pad backing plates are popular as the prevent heat transfer from the pads to the caliper and fluid. This also makes it ideal for inlet pipes as the titanium inlets absorb less heat from the engine compartment and transfer less heat to the intake charge.

A proper ceramic coating can improve upon those characteristics, but the greatest impact I've observed made by ceramic coating is on downpipes and exhaust headers, where they can measurably lower the amount of heat transferred from the hot exhaust gases to the engine compartment by quite a bit.

Thermal blankets keep heat in turbos and downpipes by doing the same thing, by not transferring the heat energy to the engine compartment. Therefore, on an inlet pipe in a hot engine compartment, an inlet pipe blanket should be able to keep heat off of/out of the inlet pipe. It may be easier to think of it in reverse, with the inlet pipe heat blanket working by keeping the heat in the engine compartment and not allowing it to leave via absorption into the inlet pipe.

The only crisis I've observed involving thermal blankets is if we have one on the turbo, we might not want to have one on the inlet pipe IF they cannot be prevented from touching. Saw a case where the two blankets were touching and IAT's were going through the roof under load. Removed the inlet pipe blanket and left the turbo blanket on, and IAT's were excellent. It was determined that the two blankets touching caused a direct, physical transfer of heat. They wrapped the inlet pipe with the tape instead, making sure it was tight and not in contact with the turbo blanket, and the issue didn't return.