Vitamin_R

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 2005 C230K
Country flag
Has anyone attempted to make an Eco Tune for an FK8?

I'm tuned for 93 with a few bolt ons and I'm getting 30mpg highway. That's totally great but it would make me happy to push it a little higher for road trips. I do know that it won't make a financial difference but I want more efficiency anyway. It's like trying to get a highscore. My previous best was in a Subaru, 42mpg instead of 33mpg per EPA. No tune.

Currently, my plan is to simply adjust the 6th gear comfort settings to be very insensitive

Any other ideas to increase efficiency?
Sponsored

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
Try to not get too much boost. Best tune for efficiency for me would be very fast throttle response with lower boost targets, and ultimately your right foot control...

OP
OP

Vitamin_R

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 2005 C230K
Country flag
Try to not get too much boost. Best tune for efficiency for me would be very fast throttle response with lower boost targets, and ultimately your right foot control...
I'm used to hypermiling techniques so no problem with control. It seems your idea is opposite of mine. Before doing any other research, I'm going to try making the first 75% throttle position very numb. Just enough power to go up a medium hill.

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
buy a Si.
LMAO

This is a first, it's always "jUsT bUy A tYpE r"

In all seriousness, stock tune with intake nets me like 28mpg if I really try. Stock Si's can consistently average like 42mpg... I just don't see it being too feasible to get much more than 30 on the Type R. Not saying it's impossible but you might be approaching a point of diminishing returns as far as the time you spend trying to dial in that "Eco" tune. Judging from your post I don't think that matters to you though... so I would say your next bet is to look at aerodynamics. Reducing drag would help your efficiency for sure. For example, is there a benefit to MPG if you take the wing off? :hmm:

madchiller

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Reducing drag would help your efficiency for sure. For example, is there a benefit to MPG if you take the wing off? :hmm:
i had an aeroflap on my car for a few months and it dropped me 5-6 mpgs. so im sure it could make a difference depending on how well it actually works. but a R without a wing is just a hatchback and nobody wants JuSt a hATcHbAcK. haha

SpenAfon

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
LMAO

This is a first, it's always "jUsT bUy A tYpE r"

In all seriousness, stock tune with intake nets me like 28mpg if I really try. Stock Si's can consistently average like 42mpg... I just don't see it being too feasible to get much more than 30 on the Type R. Not saying it's impossible but you might be approaching a point of diminishing returns as far as the time you spend trying to dial in that "Eco" tune. Judging from your post I don't think that matters to you though... so I would say your next bet is to look at aerodynamics. Reducing drag would help your efficiency for sure. For example, is there a benefit to MPG if you take the wing off? :hmm:
Idk I've had my hatch since 2019 and have only heard that I should have bought an si. It gets annoying telling people I wanted a hatch and also that It is my decision regardless

disgraced.fk8

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i had an aeroflap on my car for a few months and it dropped me 5-6 mpgs. so im sure it could make a difference depending on how well it actually works. but a R without a wing is just a hatchback and nobody wants JuSt a hATcHbAcK. haha
Sleeper mode man ;)

Not for me though. I put a GT wing on everything lol.

Idk I've had my hatch since 2019 and have only heard that I should have bought an si. It gets annoying telling people I wanted a hatch and also that It is my decision regardless
I had a touring hatch for a year and a half, believe me I heard this as well haha. It drove me nuts that the only way you could get a non base hatch was to get a Type R. I wanted one since the day they came out though so I made it a priority to get one. Slap an Si badge on and tell them it's your custom Si hatch :headbang:

disgraced.fk8

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh and when I slapped the GT wing on my Touring hatch, I lost about 3-4 mpg, which cost me about $5/day on my 140 mile round trip commute. ...And that was before the sky high gas prices o_O

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
car will always target stoich under cruising conditions so theres really no such thing as an "eco" tune. maybe you can tone down the throttle sensitivity so any change in input wont get you into boost but thats about it.

SpenAfon

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had a touring hatch for a year and a half, believe me I heard this as well haha. It drove me nuts that the only way you could get a non base hatch was to get a Type R. I wanted one since the day they came out though so I made it a priority to get one. Slap an Si badge on and tell them it's your custom Si hatch :headbang:
Yeah I was a big fan of your fk7 actually. It was the whole reason I got AV06’s

madchiller

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
car will always target stoich under cruising conditions so theres really no such thing as an "eco" tune. maybe you can tone down the throttle sensitivity so any change in input wont get you into boost but thats about it.
im some extreme cases you see people tuning to run slightly lean to save gas, using a low roll resistance tire, and improving aerodynamics (honda insight R conversion anyone?). obviously none of those belong on a R.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
im some extreme cases you see people tuning to run slightly lean to save gas, using a low roll resistance tire, and improving aerodynamics (honda insight R conversion anyone?). obviously none of those belong on a R.
yeah ive seen ppl do that also but its really not worth it unless your really hypermiling lol.
low rolling resistance tires like you said would make more of a difference than that.

disgraced.fk8

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah I was a big fan of your fk7 actually. It was the whole reason I got AV06’s
Damn thanks man!! Definitely a ton of work lol. Took me about 24 hours total to part it out. I miss that car some days, but not too hard to get over due to the replacement. I think the worst part is living in the northeast I tucked away the car for the winter this year and driving the beater every day is so boring!

OP
OP

Vitamin_R

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 2005 C230K
Country flag
The wing is my picnic table, I'm keeping it lol
Sponsored