FK8 competitiveness in STU?

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag
How would a fully STU spec'd FK8 fare against its major rivals in the class? e.g. M3s, EVOs/STIs, 350/370Zs. I haven't seen too many FK8s competing in local events (LI New York Region / Northern NJ), let alone in STU. The top STU cars in those region is a 2016 STI and a 2007 Porsche Cayman, respectively.

I thought about de-modifying my car to meet DS rules but it would be a major PITA to remove and sell all the parts I currently have installed. Not to mention, I love the way my car looks at the moment:D
Sponsored

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Fully-spec'd means, for example:
- serious coilovers with digressive shocks;
- lightweight seats mean losing airbags, a Darwin move on a street-driven car. Ditto steering wheel;
- the Type R looks weird with just the rear wing removed (IMO);
- not being able to trim fenders - only being able to roll the inside lip - may limit wheel fitment. I'm pretty sure that custom wheel offsets would be needed to fit 285's on 18x11" rims, if they'd fit at all ...;
- at least floating(ish) brake rotors with Aluminium hats are available;
- smaller/lighter front calipers are available with mount fabrication, but you're still stuck with stock-sized rotors;
- the suspension and subframe mount bushing allowances don't seem to cover rigid collars;
- no mods to intercooler combined with the CAI's currently available means vicious amounts of heat soak between runs given an aggressive tune (for the moment, and depending on the event, weather, having a co-driver, etc.);
- I don't think that turbo blankets or ceramic-coating the turbo is STU-legal - but somebody please tell me that I'm wrong ...
- at least STU-legal downpipes/cats/etc. are widely available at reasonable cost;
- I can use my ACUITY shifter (I think ...);

All and all, STU is fun, but DS is the place to be if you want to compete. People have been doing quite well in DS (to put it mildly) - and doing well nationally without having to spend $$$ on shocks seems to be unusual in Street ...

OP
OP
iLovePho

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag
Fully-spec'd means, for example:
- serious coilovers with digressive shocks;
- lightweight seats mean losing airbags, a Darwin move on a street-driven car. Ditto steering wheel;
- the Type R looks weird with just the rear wing removed (IMO);
- not being able to trim fenders - only being able to roll the inside lip - may limit wheel fitment. I'm pretty sure that custom wheel offsets would be needed to fit 285's on 18x11" rims, if they'd fit at all ...;
- at least floating(ish) brake rotors with Aluminium hats are available;
- smaller/lighter front calipers are available with mount fabrication, but you're still stuck with stock-sized rotors;
- the suspension and subframe mount bushing allowances don't seem to cover rigid collars;
- no mods to intercooler combined with the CAI's currently available means vicious amounts of heat soak between runs given an aggressive tune (for the moment, and depending on the event, weather, having a co-driver, etc.);
- I don't think that turbo blankets or ceramic-coating the turbo is STU-legal - but somebody please tell me that I'm wrong ...
- at least STU-legal downpipes/cats/etc. are widely available at reasonable cost;
- I can use my ACUITY shifter (I think ...);

All and all, STU is fun, but DS is the place to be if you want to compete. People have been doing quite well in DS (to put it mildly) - and doing well nationally without having to spend $$$ on shocks seems to be unusual in Street ...
I'm far from being a competitive driver, so most of the high end stuff you mentioned (coilovers, seats) will be moot for me;) I just want to build a somewhat competitive car that can achieve 9/10 and can hang closely with the local competition.

On intercoolers, I currently have a PRL, which means I may have to put the stock one back on unless the SCCA comes to their senses and opens all ST classes to it (besides STH).

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Are they legal in DS? I don't see any legitimate reason why a turbo blanket would not fly...

I'm far from being a competitive driver, so most of the high end stuff you mentioned (coilovers, seats) will be moot for me;) I just want to build a somewhat competitive car that can achieve 9/10 and can hang closely with the local competition.

On intercoolers, I currently have a PRL, which means I may have to put the stock one back on unless the SCCA comes to their senses and opens all ST classes to it (besides STH).
Sounds like you've got some work to get into DS-spec and start seeing how quick you can go. That's what I'm doing for next season :thumbsup:

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Are they legal in DS? I don't see any legitimate reason why a turbo blanket would not fly...
My reading is turbo blankets are not allowed in Street (13.10.C) or ST (14.10.D) but are allowed in SP (15.10.B) (Ceramic coatings are not allowed in SP 15.10.C.4). I hope to be corrected, of course.
Be careful what you wish for. In STU, FoRS's and, STI's (and LanEvo's?, and Golf R's?) will also benefit, even if the restrictive STH wording is carried over. The Focus RS can take a pretty good intercooler while meeting the STH restrictions.

apexit53

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 23 Integra aspec MT
Country flag
street has taken a turn in the last few years. people don't want to spend lots of cash on shocks, also the type r doesn't need them. not once this year did I feel I needed to tune my car with adjusting the shocks.

I have looked into STU myself. I would need a down pipe, a tune, coilovers, and wheels. I felt I drove the best I have ever driven at nationals this year. my time would have been good enough for 6th in stu. I think it can be competitive and you never know what happens in ST classes. Part of me wants to try and stu build, but with the car competitive in DS I personally don't want to spend the money on trying.

OP
OP
iLovePho

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag
street has taken a turn in the last few years. people don't want to spend lots of cash on shocks, also the type r doesn't need them. not once this year did I feel I needed to tune my car with adjusting the shocks.

I have looked into STU myself. I would need a down pipe, a tune, coilovers, and wheels. I felt I drove the best I have ever driven at nationals this year. my time would have been good enough for 6th in stu. I think it can be competitive and you never know what happens in ST classes. Part of me wants to try and stu build, but with the car competitive in DS I personally don't want to spend the money on trying.
Yeah you would've trophied in STU, that's amazing. I'm wondering if the laws of diminishing returns apply when going from DS to STU for our cars. Driver skills being equal, could those parts really close the gap to the quickest STU time (64.896)? Over a second on an auto-x course is pretty significant.

apexit53

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 23 Integra aspec MT
Country flag
Yeah you would've trophied in STU, that's amazing. I'm wondering if the laws of diminishing returns apply when going from DS to STU for our cars. Driver skills being equal, could those parts really close the gap to the quickest STU time (64.896)? Over a second on an auto-x course is pretty significant.
A lot depends with the added power(that would be amazing fun on the street) with the extra tire if you can put both to use. The car has wheel spin issues as it is let alone adding another 40hp?

The car handles really well and is amazingly nimble. Yes, I feel it can be competitive but someone has to want to do it. For me the added cost of parts isnt worth it assuming i keep the car. Its competitive in DS, thats where its highest value to me is.

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My reading is turbo blankets are not allowed in Street (13.10.C) or ST (14.10.D) but are allowed in SP (15.10.B) (Ceramic coatings are not allowed in SP 15.10.C.4). I hope to be corrected, of course.
13.10.C: Any part of the exhaust system beyond (downstream from) the last catalytic converter, if so equipped, may be substituted or removed provided the system exits the car in the original location and meets the requirements of Section 3.3.3.B.16, Section 3.5 and Appendix I where applicable. Vehicles equipped with exhausts that exit in multiple locations may change to a single outlet in any of the original locations. Stainless steel heat exchangers are permitted only if the physical dimensions and configuration remain unchanged

Modifications of any type, including additions to or removal of, the catalytic converters, thermal reactors, or any other pollution control devices in the exhaust system are not allowed and the system must be operable. Replacement catalytic converters must be OE if the vehicle has not exceeded the warranty period as mandated by the EPA. Converters must be of the same type and size and used in the same loca- tion as the original equipment converter(s). This does not allow for a high performance unit. If the vehicle has exceeded the warranty period, replacement catalytic converters must be OE-type as per Section 13.0. Exhaust hangers which are bolted or welded on the car are considered part of the body and may not be changed or removed.

No where in here does it mention anything about the turbo, simply mentions any part of the exhaust system, PAST the cat can be changed.

14.10.D: Exhaust manifolds, headers, downpipes, and associated EGR tubes may be replaced with alternate units. Exhaust exit may be relocated provided it meets Section 3.3.3.B.16. Relocation of the oxygen sensor on the header is permitted. Exhaust heat shields which cover only, and attach solely to, these parts may also be replaced, removed, or modified. All other exhaust heat shields may be modified the minimum amount necessary to accommodate allowed alternate exhaust components. Mounting brackets/hardware which serve no other purpose are considered part of the exhaust components.

This specifically says "heat shields which cover only, and attach solely to, these parts may also be replaced, removed, or modified". So this clearly says you can change them for ST.

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
The 2020 Type R has a better rad, and a more open front grill/rubber, than the 2017-2019's. I know that aftermarket rads (of sufficient size) are allowed in ST, but I wonder about the 2020 grill/rubber. If the Type R line in the STU rule becomes 2017-2020, then would use of all of the relevant 2020 parts in a 2017 be okay in ST?

Z3papa

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2011 BMW M3
Country flag
There is no update/backdate in ST categories. Unless the ST allowances permit the modification of the existing part, you may still be prevented from using 2020 parts on the earlier cars.
Sponsored