Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Long time forum member here. Sold my 2018 Civic Hatchback EX-L a while back and bought into a 2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD, and wanted to offer a comparison.
I loved my Civic, but the Stinger definitely scratches a lot more of the itch for performance I have. Two totally different cars for different people, but worth comparing IMO. They are both rather similar, and very different at the same time, and I have a few categories to compare them by.

Practicality
So, both cars are 4 door "hatchbacks" that have tons of rear hatch space for cargo and whatnot. Google claims the Civic EX-L has 25.7 cubic feet worth of usable trunk space, whereas the Stinger only has 23.3 cubic feet worth of space, but I can't say that's correct. Both are very spacious and can hold dressers, wheels and tires, lots of junk, everything you need, and then some. Both allow you to fold the 2nd row seats down, gaining you another 20 cubic feet of space for the Civic, and another 17.6 cubic feet according to Google, but again I do not think that's right. The Stinger has a LOT more room with it's rear seats folded down than my Civic did, and it rivals that of a SUV imo. Not that the Civic didn't have a lot of space, of course.
Also, the Civic did have plenty of 2nd row space for passengers if you were short-medium height in the front, but the Stinger has much more rear leg room than the Civic does, and it's rather noticeable. Back seat space is more comfortable as well.

Performance:
Both an easy, and hard comparison to make here. Stinger has the 3.3L twin turbo v6 making 365hp and 370tq at the crank (models dyno 320-330awhp and 370-380tq), whereas my Civic had the worse-off 1.5L turbo i4, the inferior to the L15B7, making 174hp and 169tq stock (my Ktuner-Phearable 1.5R tune making 230whp and nearly 280tq). My Stinger weighs almost 4,000lb exactly, whereas the Civic, after modifications, weighed closer to 2,800lb, which is a huge difference in weight despite the same difference in power. With that said, the Stinger is definitely the faster, more responsive car, stock vs modded Civic. Tuned Stinger is even scarier, with e30 putting me about 400awhp and over 500tq, and 93 not that far behind. However, HP and weight aren't all there is to performance. The Civic handles significantly better in the corners than the Stinger does, not that the Stinger handles bad but the AWD system can only do so much for the 4,000lb car. The Civic definitely has weight on its side and it shows, in how nimble and quick the car is. Straight-line power is where the Stinger shines, as it's AWD system propels me off the line to 60mph in 4 seconds, versus the near 7 seconds the Civic took. I can do 60-130mph in 8 seconds, which takes an additional 5-6 seconds in the Civic, and that's if you can hit 130mph. The Stinger definitely was made to be abused and to take it all day everyday, whereas the CVT Civics are great commuter cars that can pack a punch when necessary. Sidenote: Top speed I ever hit (on a closed course OR out in Mexico, if not both šŸ˜) was 135mph on the Civic, and that was downhill over the span of 2 miles. I've already cracked 160mph on the Stinger, on much less road, not going down hill. Stinger is electronically limited to 167mph, but if one were to remove the restriction I dare say the car would go 180+ easily. Civic was at it's limits at 120+.

Aftermarket: Both cars have surprisingly good aftermarket, though there are some learning curves going from the Civic to the Stinger. Parts are cheap, build-paths are pretty similar, but here on the Civic forums Piggyback units like RaceChip (or more specially JB4) are discouraged, but for the Stinger it's either $600 for JB4 or $2500 for ECU tune AFTER you've gone FBO with the car, with no chances of reflashing unless you pay again. JB4 gives you 7 maps to choose from, the team there is super cool and always looking to add and improve their tunes, and to an extent you can do some custom tuning. Just not as versatile as what Ktuner provides for Civic's. Also, where WMI may be strongly discouraged on these forums unless you're a Type R or opened and built L15B7 Si, WMI is $5-600 and provides TONs of HP and benefit to the Stingers. JB4+ WMI+Intakes = nearly maxing the turbos on this car, at 500awhp and nearly 600tq. These 3.3TTs also react very well to ethanol, with even e30 providing a MASSIVE difference in power over quality 93.

Maintenance: Rather short segment, but of course the Stinger will require more maintenance than the Civic might, given it's comparing a Sports car vs a fun, sporty fuel economy car. I bought my Stinger at 39,900 miles and I've already changed the oil (7.3 qts of 5w30), oil filter (cartridge style which required me to buy a special tool), and spark plugs. I did a lot less to my Civic.

Fuel Economy: Another short segment but worth mentioning. The day I bought the Stinger, a 150 mile trip I averaged 30mpg in the Stinger, hypermilling at 75mph (sounds counter intuitive, I know- but I used hypermilling techniques is what I mean), whereas my Civic might've hit 37-40mpg, and the family's 2018 Accord 1.5T averaged 37mpg both ways on the trip. I average 24-27mpgin the Stinger with my driving, whereas I consistently was 32-38 in the Civic, and near the end of my time I averaged 40+ a tank going 55mph. The Stinger can go 85+mph on the interstate and see 25-28mpg easily, but the Civic would also see about 28mpg going 85 on the interstate, which is rather crazy to me.

Insurance Costs: Despite the Stinger being a much more powerful and fast car, insurance was only a few more $ a month than my Civic. I paid $104 for full coverage a month on my Civic, and it's a bit more than that now for the Stinger. Of course, this will vary on year model, trim, age, driving record, state, etc. so it will vary for everyone.

Interior: There is absolutely ZERO contest. The Civic did not have a bad interior for the money or kind of car it was, but it's the difference between a Chevy W/T and a Cadillac Escalade fully loaded. Heated AND Cooled seats, heated steering wheel, infotainment is a lot cleaner and responsive, 15 speaker sound system vs the 8 speakers in the Civic, HD-res backup camera in the Stinger, HUD in the Stinger, adjustable bolstering seats, mostly touch button climate control, leather-like soft touch dash, minimal use of piano black plastics, etc. With that said, there are a few things the Civic has that the Stinger doesn't. Stinger does not have remote-start for the 2018 year model, no lane-watch camera, and no cap-less fuel tank. Not deal breakers for me by any means considering how much of a step up it is to the Stinger, but a few things to keep in mind. Civic definitely has some more convenience and is driver-focused, but the Stinger does have the nicer interior, better for road trips.

Bottom Line: Civic was $20k, Stinger was $38,000. Which car is better? Objectively, my opinion falls on the Stinger. With that said, Honda really has a compelling car in the Civics, even for 10th generation. Both are great, but are two different classes of car and is not fair to compare fully. I still see Type R's on the road from time to time and my heart jumps a little, the Type R in particular is a car I'd love to own on the side with the Stinger as my daily driver. Who knows, maybe one day I will get lucky!

P.S. if anybody has questions, would like me to expand on anything said here, or have a category I ought to explore, please feel free to comment and let me know.

Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 vs Stinger GT2... 20220516_200105

Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 vs Stinger GT2... stingergt

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Let me know how that kia holds up in a few years. They might have changed the logo and got better at reliability but it's still a kia. It's right there killed in action.

RetroRacer1980

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Civic Sport Sedan(sold)ā€™12 Camaro SS/RS ā€˜23WRX
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I do like the Stingers but weary of their long term reliability .
I bought my 2020 Civic Sport Sedan with a 6 speed manual transmission and 2.0L naturally aspirated port injected engine as it was BY FAR the most reliable way to buy a modern civic. Didnā€™t want a 1.5L direct injection turbo civic especially with a CVT transmission for a daily driver.

My weekend fun car is my 2012 Camaro SS/RS 6 speed manual. Supercharged , Cam, e85 LS3 engine making 667 whp at the wheels. Car has been fun to build the last 9 years, and only has 50k miles on it.

Iā€™m getting the itch to build another project so I think a C8 Corvette is next for me, will sell the Camaro but my Civic is staying. I honestly believe their are more SI and Type R civics than there are sport sedans with the K20 and manual transmission.

Canā€™t drive my Camaro to a movie etc without worrying about it, thatā€™s what awesome about the Civic nobody even looks at it.

My friend has a Kia K5 GT line I believe itā€™s called, and nephew has a Veloster N, but Iā€™ve only driven the stinger a few years ago so it was not the most recent model. Still a fun drive for sure though, youā€™ll enjoy it šŸ‘šŸ»

Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 vs Stinger GT2... 733A143A-CC7E-49DE-8ECD-D337E1145BEE
Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 vs Stinger GT2... 774FB17C-E83E-4F2D-B27C-8A9E68497A52

19CivicSportNH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Sport
Sweet ride! I always liked Stingers when they launched. Though the rise of the crossover may have its days numbered. Any mod plans?

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
Nice comparison, the stinger is on my short list of cars if I ever want a nicer car with an auto

OP
OP
rwk226

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Let me know how that kia holds up in a few years. They might have changed the logo and got better at reliability but it's still a kia. It's right there killed in action.
I sure hope my Stinger lasts. I'm already at 43,000 miles w/o issues and hoping for many more. I haven't seen catastrophic failure on the Stinger forums, but there also isn't a thread like what Gtman's done for us, compiling tuning data and such. Maybe something for me to carry the tradition of forward...

I do like the Stingers but weary of their long term reliability .
I bought my 2020 Civic Sport Sedan with a 6 speed manual transmission and 2.0L naturally aspirated port injected engine as it was BY FAR the most reliable way to buy a modern civic. Didnā€™t want a 1.5L direct injection turbo civic especially with a CVT transmission for a daily driver.

My weekend fun car is my 2012 Camaro SS/RS 6 speed manual. Supercharged , Cam, e85 LS3 engine making 667 whp at the wheels. Car has been fun to build the last 9 years, and only has 50k miles on it.

Iā€™m getting the itch to build another project so I think a C8 Corvette is next for me, will sell the Camaro but my Civic is staying. I honestly believe their are more SI and Type R civics than there are sport sedans with the K20 and manual transmission.

Canā€™t drive my Camaro to a movie etc without worrying about it, thatā€™s what awesome about the Civic nobody even looks at it.

My friend has a Kia K5 GT line I believe itā€™s called, and nephew has a Veloster N, but Iā€™ve only driven the stinger a few years ago so it was not the most recent model. Still a fun drive for sure though, youā€™ll enjoy it šŸ‘šŸ»

733A143A-CC7E-49DE-8ECD-D337E1145BEE.jpeg
774FB17C-E83E-4F2D-B27C-8A9E68497A52.jpeg
I hope my Stinger lasts as well, I'm sure with good care it'll last.
Love your Camaro!!! Very pretty car, I was considering a 2018 Camaro 2SS but the prices were just too high for me to justify buying one... A C8 would be a great project car to have if you could find one. Once I get my Stinger paid off, I really want to buy a 10th Gen Civic Type R. I still see those on the road occasionally and, maybe it's the young 20s getting to me, but I cannot get over how cool the Type R is.

Sweet ride! I always liked Stingers when they launched. Though the rise of the crossover may have its days numbered. Any mod plans?
Sadly, these cars are already discontinued, but the powerplant lives on in the Genesis lineup, and hopefully in future Hyundai / Kia cars. I just hope they prove to last. I am already JB4 tuned, and have seen significant power increase, even on 93. On e30, it's outright scary how fast this car is. I want to find a good exhaust system (not straight piping it like I did the Civic :rofl: ), do catback + midpipes, intakes, and either Flex fuel kit or WMI. All of that will be good for nearly 500awhp, which is the limits of the stock turbos on this car. Since I bought the AWD model, it may be the limit of the transfer case as well, so if I decide to go further I would have to look into that... not that I need to, even 400awhp is enough to punch me in the gut. Can't imagine how 500awhp will feel!

Nice comparison, the stinger is on my short list of cars if I ever want a nicer car with an auto
Thank you! I wanted a manual car, but the Stinger was just too good of an offer to pass up. I'm sure the DCT in the Stinger doesn't compare to more "Exotic" sportcar auto's, but it has not failed me yet. Paddles leave some to be desired, but I only ever use them to set RPMs up for a roll race. otherwise, the transmission shifts very quickly on its own. The interior is a huge selling point for the car as well. It is nice, but it isn't overly extravagant. You feel good in it, but you aren't afraid of actually using it, either.

Appreciate all the love and comments this has gotten.

19CivicSportNH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Sport
When the car launched, I used to lurk the forums back then, lol. Though a small correction (or call me an a**, but whatever), the Stingers are regular torque converted automatics. Weirdly, on videos I've seen on YouTube, with JB4, during hard launches, it "farts" like a DCT.

As for exhausts, I think the Borla S-Type sounds good.

Arguably, the best sounding "Stinger" is this DeLorean with a Stinger heart.

OP
OP
rwk226

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When the car launched, I used to lurk the forums back then, lol. Though a small correction (or call me an a**, but whatever), the Stingers are regular torque converted automatics. Weirdly, on videos I've seen on YouTube, with JB4, during hard launches, it "farts" like a DCT.

As for exhausts, I think the Borla S-Type sounds good.

Arguably, the best sounding "Stinger" is this DeLorean with a Stinger heart.

Thanks for the correction! I could've swore they were DCTs, but you're right, just typical 8 speed auto. But dang, for it not being DCT it sure does shift fast and smoothly. Very impressive imo.
I like the Borla Type S Exhaust as well, but man is it expensive. At least compared to what we had for our Civics.

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I sure hope my Stinger lasts. I'm already at 43,000 miles w/o issues and hoping for many more. I haven't seen catastrophic failure on the Stinger forums, but there also isn't a thread like what Gtman's done for us, compiling tuning data and such. Maybe something for me to carry the tradition of forward...

I hope my Stinger lasts as well, I'm sure with good care it'll last.
Love your Camaro!!! Very pretty car, I was considering a 2018 Camaro 2SS but the prices were just too high for me to justify buying one... A C8 would be a great project car to have if you could find one. Once I get my Stinger paid off, I really want to buy a 10th Gen Civic Type R. I still see those on the road occasionally and, maybe it's the young 20s getting to me, but I cannot get over how cool the Type R is.

Sadly, these cars are already discontinued, but the powerplant lives on in the Genesis lineup, and hopefully in future Hyundai / Kia cars. I just hope they prove to last. I am already JB4 tuned, and have seen significant power increase, even on 93. On e30, it's outright scary how fast this car is. I want to find a good exhaust system (not straight piping it like I did the Civic :rofl: ), do catback + midpipes, intakes, and either Flex fuel kit or WMI. All of that will be good for nearly 500awhp, which is the limits of the stock turbos on this car. Since I bought the AWD model, it may be the limit of the transfer case as well, so if I decide to go further I would have to look into that... not that I need to, even 400awhp is enough to punch me in the gut. Can't imagine how 500awhp will feel!

Thank you! I wanted a manual car, but the Stinger was just too good of an offer to pass up. I'm sure the DCT in the Stinger doesn't compare to more "Exotic" sportcar auto's, but it has not failed me yet. Paddles leave some to be desired, but I only ever use them to set RPMs up for a roll race. otherwise, the transmission shifts very quickly on its own. The interior is a huge selling point for the car as well. It is nice, but it isn't overly extravagant. You feel good in it, but you aren't afraid of actually using it, either.

Appreciate all the love and comments this has gotten.
Yep not wishing any ill will just heard some bad things in past. Heck it took Honda a few years to finally earn reputation of reliability.

They are discounting the Stinger right? Hopefully in future parts aren't too hard to come by. That's one good thing about civics is that you know there are a shit ton of parts because they still sell a lot.

OP
OP
rwk226

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yep not wishing any ill will just heard some bad things in past. Heck it took Honda a few years to finally earn reputation of reliability.

They are discounting the Stinger right? Hopefully in future parts aren't too hard to come by. That's one good thing about civics is that you know there are a shit ton of parts because they still sell a lot.
Of course, I understand. Kia seems to have turned things around in recent years, and I sure hope it has.

Yes, the Stinger has been discontinued, however the motor and transmission are the same found in the Genesis g70, g80, and g90 (pre-3.5L V6). Hopefully that means parts will be rather plentiful or at least easy to come by.

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nice ride! I had a V6tt AWD Stinger a rental last weekend and it definitely does have some kick! The interior is very nice and roomy, but my only gripe was the rear visibilty.
Don't look back in a Si coupe.

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
OP
OP
rwk226

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nice ride! I had a V6tt AWD Stinger a rental last weekend and it definitely does have some kick! The interior is very nice and roomy, but my only gripe was the rear visibilty.
Yes, the interior is nice but I hate the rear visibility quite a bit. I can always lower my seat down to be able to see out the rear window better, but if I do that I lose the HUD display due to how short I am. Can't seem to win on that front, but otherwise it isn't the worst ever. Camaro SS I rode in was a lot worse.
Sponsored