Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wunderladenracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
I realized I never posted up about some other stuff I had done while the car was apart. I noticed the frame rails showed signs of rubbing from the front tires, the fronts are a 255 on a 10.5" wheel so it's not unexpected. I'm not big on using the frame rails as a steering stop and I didn't want to shred the new liners I had just installed so I added some nylon washers between the factory rack stop and the inner ball joint, effectively making the rack stop longer and thus making the wheel stop before hitting the frame rail :)

Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products stop 1

Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products stop 2

I also wanted to make sure that the liner wouldn't get rubbed at the top of the wheel well. I had noticed that there were also rub marks there, which told me the bumpstops on the dampers weren't doing their job effectively. After getting the dampers apart it was easy to see why, they were too short! So the wheel travel was being stopped by the chassis, not the bumpstop; that's no bueno for performance or comfort.

The factory BC bumpstops are nothing special, made from a very hard foam so they barely compress when pressed on. I spent a fair amount of time looking for a taller bumpstop and ended up choosing to go with some that my friends over at Professional Awesome offer. Not only are they a fair bit taller, but they are also a much more progressive rate. So they ease into compression and slowly add extra spring rate vs just stopping the damper in short notice.

I spent a bit of time to dial in where everything needed to be to maximize compression travel without having the liner get rubbed. I was also able to adjust the damper to gain over an extra inch of droop travel! I did have to add a helper spring to accommodate for this but everything ended up working great. After NCM I checked the wheel wells and there were no rubs anywhere and the car felt great going over curbing at 80mph!

Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products bump 1

Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products bump 2

Have a test day tomorrow at Gingerman. Weather is looking good so far so hoping that it holds out!

OP
OP
Austin@Wunderladen Racing
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
I love this car!
I followed the build!
I wanted something similar but I went through the mode budget build hehe
Thanks! I love sharing my trials, if it helps even just one person with figuring out something on their car then I'm happy. This car is modified uniquely in some areas for sure but overall I don't think these cars need anything crazy done to them to be very capable performers :)

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm glad this car found a home where it'll continue to be used for it's built purpose. Thanks for sharing

Also, looking forward to the bbk

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Didn't the car have an accusump and like 275s on those 10.5 wheels? Good luck on the journey, I'll stay tuned!

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Didn't the car have an accusump and like 275s on those 10.5 wheels? Good luck on the journey, I'll stay tuned!
I believe it was something like that. Accusumps work well when there's no other solution for oiling but they're kind of a pain to live with. An oil pan baffle with some nice trap doors is on our prospective product list and one that I'm highly interested in doing.

It's really funny to say the car has a 255 on a 10.5" wheel but these RT660s run wide, they're almost as wide as the 275 Maxxis RC1 on one of my other cars!

I'm super excited to see where we can take this little Civic, thanks for following along :D

On another note, I forgot to mention I installed a PRL flex fuel kit and the car now has a Phearable 2.5 tune on it. It is for sure significantly faster. We're going to toss the car on the dyno soon and get some numbers to see how much was gained. I know these tunes are usually pretty consistent in gains but we still like to quantify things when we can!

phearable

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Tuner
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.phearable.net
Vehicle(s)
Tuner
Country flag
I believe it was something like that. Accusumps work well when there's no other solution for oiling but they're kind of a pain to live with. An oil pan baffle with some nice trap doors is on our prospective product list and one that I'm highly interested in doing.

It's really funny to say the car has a 255 on a 10.5" wheel but these RT660s run wide, they're almost as wide as the 275 Maxxis RC1 on one of my other cars!

I'm super excited to see where we can take this little Civic, thanks for following along :D

On another note, I forgot to mention I installed a PRL flex fuel kit and the car now has a Phearable 2.5 tune on it. It is for sure significantly faster. We're going to toss the car on the dyno soon and get some numbers to see how much was gained. I know these tunes are usually pretty consistent in gains but we still like to quantify things when we can!
Nice build. Thanks for sharing!

Glad to hear your using our stage 2.5 tune.

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Nice build. Thanks for sharing!

Glad to hear your using our stage 2.5 tune.
Thanks for providing an array of awesome tunes to the community!

I had a test day at Gingerman Raceway today and it went well-ish. The bad news is the clutch is slipping on the medium and high boost settings. Still kind of scratching my head on this one, there is no reason a twin disc should be slipping on a stock turbo. Going to ride it out on low boost for now, too many other things going on to drop the trans. The good news is that I think I've finally eliminated the source of the limp mode. First session out it went into limp mode, so I knew it wasn't because of the stock tune it had before. I had read here that some people had limp mode issues with gas pedal spacers, and there was one on the car when I bought it, so I took it off after the first session and no more limp mode for the rest of the day!

But the best news is even on the low boost setting the car is showing some really promising pace. Had a friend jump in the car with his Aim lap timer and take it for a couple laps and he managed a 1:44 with being stuck in traffic for a few corners. He looked at some predictive data and the car could potentially have a sub 40 in it which is amazing given how fairly simple the car is.

Gingerman is a home track for me and there's nothing to hit if you go off so I'm much more comfortable pushing here than I was at NCM. I did notice the car is porpoising through a few of the corners. I have yet to touch anything in the rear of the car so I'm thinking it's time to look things over back there to figure out if the source of the bouncing lies in something there.

I've got one more test day at Gingerman before Midwest Fest in the beginning of June and I'm hoping to have the new brakes on the car by then, these "upgraded" DC5 brakes are barely adequate, I'd consider them mediocre, my friend who drove the car called them hot garbage haha...

Car is also a tad snappy in some areas of the track :)

Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products driiift

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Getting the car ready for the next test day on May 25th at Gingerman Raceway. At the last day which I previously posted about I skipped the last session of the day because the rear brakes had begun making some less than pleasant noises, but was able to get the car home without issue. Ordered up some new rear pads and rotors and got that stuff swapped out for Powerstop rotors and their Trackday pads. I've run the Trackday pads on a few cars and while they're not comparable to a proper race pad, they are the best track capable pad that can be used on the street for the price they cost. The car was on the original pads and rotors so I can't be upset for how long they lasted but the rear brakes for sure leave performance to be desired, a stock pad does not create enough friction to lock up the rear tires, which explains why the car would rarely ever hit ABS. I also noticed a decent bit of tapered wear on the pads, we have a solution coming to solve this soon!

Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products pad 1

While doing the brakes I also swapped out the toe arms for our prototype toe arms. The toe arms that were on the car worked fine but spherical joints always work better than bonded rubber and the NVH gain is imperceptible when the car already has stiff coilovers and more rigid engine mounts. Not only are our arms more rigid because of the spherical rod ends, but they're also lighter, over a pound per arm lighter than the arms that came off! Also they're made from billet aluminum, so they won't rust like the old arms were after the paint had chipped off. Once we've tested these toe arms they'll be for sale on our site! I'm super excited for more of the brake and suspension upgrades we have coming for the 10th gen :)

Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products toe 1
Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products toe 2

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Happy to finally share our solution for better rear brake performance and wear! We'll be announcing these in our subforum and on our site for purchase later this week.

I was able to determine that the source for the poor pad taper on the rear brakes was because of the very soft rubber slide pin bushings in the caliper. Our solution is a replacement slide pin bushings made from bronze. These slide into the caliper in place of the factory rubber ones. They feature an integrated o ring and high temp silicone cap to keep grease in and dust out. Caliper flex is largely minimized to improve brake pedal feeback and improve pad and rotor wear!

Will be able to give a direct comparison on track tomorrow at my test day at Gingerman Raceway :)

Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products 1
Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products 2 pin
Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products 3

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Went to Gingerman this past Wednesday to shake the car down a bit more. Weather was great but had to take a break for lightning. Only around 15 cars showed up so had plenty of space!

Clutch is still slipping if I put ethanol in the tank but still holds on 93 so sticking to gas until I can drop the trans to look over the clutch. Overall things went okay, the car still has a bit of porpoising in it but it's better now that the rear roll center is a bit higher. Still waiting on the AP calipers to show up, the front brakes are definitely not confidence inspiring in their current form but the rears felt noticeably better thanks to the more aggressive pad compound and the slide pin bushings. Unfortunately it's not looking hopeful that the AP stuff will be here by next Wednesday though :(

Here's a couple laps where I was having some fun. Not my fastest laps but I enjoyed trying some slight changes to my normal line. Ended the day on a 1:44.0. I know the car can go faster, we've seen down to a high 41 on predicted time before. I have a tough time trusting these front brakes to go that far though 😅 . Gridlife is next week, I'm debating getting some new front tires before the event, the fronts are really starting to show some wear, but they're still useable.

Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products la

st4xor

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
the rears felt noticeably better thanks to the more aggressive pad compound and the slide pin bushings.
Do you feel you have enough confidence in the rear slide pins after this initial outing to sell to a customer?

I'm trying to find some more confidence in my stock Si braking system (stock power, novice group w/ instructor) with a new front pad compound for my next time out. I would be interested in removing whatever vagueness I can out of the rears with the solid slide pins if you think you'll have them on offer in the next week or so.

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Do you feel you have enough confidence in the rear slide pins after this initial outing to sell to a customer?

I'm trying to find some more confidence in my stock Si braking system (stock power, novice group w/ instructor) with a new front pad compound for my next time out. I would be interested in removing whatever vagueness I can out of the rears with the solid slide pins if you think you'll have them on offer in the next week or so.
Absolutely. We've sold similar bronze pin bushings for other vehicles so this isn't our first rodeo with this particular part. I'm finishing up the product listing for the site and once I'm done they'll be up there. We'll be announcing them first thing on Monday and they'll be available for order!

Pad compounds also make a huge difference for braking confidence on track. For just doing open track days, I'm a very big fan of Powerstop's Track Day and Track Day Spec compounds. The TD can be driven on the street without issue, though they can be a bit grabby for regular driving. The TDS is not recommended for street use. Both make a lot of dust but they both can handle a ton of heat before fading (TDS more than TD). They're not comparable to a race compound, but they're also 1/3rd the price of most race compounds. They're my go to and I recommend them for anyone just getting into doing track days, you will be amazed at how much better the car will stop compared to a street focused compound. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

st4xor

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Absolutely. We've sold similar bronze pin bushings for other vehicles so this isn't our first rodeo with this particular part. I'm finishing up the product listing for the site and once I'm done they'll be up there. We'll be announcing them first thing on Monday and they'll be available for order!

Pad compounds also make a huge difference for braking confidence on track. For just doing open track days, I'm a very big fan of Powerstop's Track Day and Track Day Spec compounds. The TD can be driven on the street without issue, though they can be a bit grabby for regular driving. The TDS is not recommended for street use. Both make a lot of dust but they both can handle a ton of heat before fading (TDS more than TD). They're not comparable to a race compound, but they're also 1/3rd the price of most race compounds. They're my go to and I recommend them for anyone just getting into doing track days, you will be amazed at how much better the car will stop compared to a street focused compound. If you have any questions feel free to ask!
Agreed on the Power stop TD compound as a first step. Great price. I had what I would consider to be a "successful" first track day with PST TD front and rear. I dumped my notes here. I _think_ I was experiencing pad fade from the front, though I've not got any other real life experience against which to compare.

Unfortunately the more capable TDS compound does not appear to be available for the stock Si front caliper (FMSI 1697), which is a bit of a red headed stepchild caliper--not a lot of mainstream compound choices. So I'm going to continue to run the Powerstop TD compound at rear (same reasons as you), and I've got some Carbotech XP8 pads for the fronts for my next time out.

I'm hoping the XP8 will be enough brake for my skill level but not melt the dust boots/seals in the front caliper. Also hoping that if I still have dust boots/seals left, that maybe front pad change plus bronze bushings rear is enough brake for me for now. And If not, I'll be looking for other options for next year.

Are you planning to run the AP Racing calipers in snow/salt next winter? I guess the nice thing about the AP caliper using stock lines is that I could switch back to my stock caliper for the winter months. Si will be my daily for a good number of years still.
Sponsored