JayDee

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback 6MT & 1995 Honda Civic CX Hatchback
Country flag
So i have a 2018 civic Sport hatchback 6MT and ive been wanting to do a muffler delete but i also wanna be able to go back to quiet with the flip of a switch..... I have a picture of what my factory exhaust looks like and then a second picture which shows what i want to do to it and the third picture is what a typical exhaust cutout looks like.. (id be getting a cutout that can be switched with a remote/ or a switch on the dash, I’d be interested in the remote more so i could switch it from outside and get some nice cold start videos)

Self- drawn picture explanation:
-red is exhaust/muffler delete pipes
- blue is muffler pipe routing
-green is where the exhaust cutout would be

Would this work well? If i close the cutout valve, the exhaust will be forced to go around and into the mufflers, if i open the cutout valve, the exhaust will just flow straight out without going thru the mufflers..
I would like to do a catless downpipe after no matter what..

I have 3 questions:

would this work as well as i think it would?
2. What type of metal does the factory exhaust use? I have my own welder but it is a harbor freight flux core, i don’t think i can weld this metal type.
3. what size is the exhaust in everything pictured?

thanks everyone and anyone who helps with this...!

Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Sport Hatchback Exhaust Cutout 867F06B0-CB98-45B1-A32E-3CB5EB4FC3F0

Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Sport Hatchback Exhaust Cutout 699F7C66-A5FD-43D3-93BD-04C256754DA4

Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Sport Hatchback Exhaust Cutout DE67F818-F112-46FD-BD6C-E4C8E7C3BCE1

LightX

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Why not just leave the muffler alone and add a Y pipe where the green and red is? Same thing, beside, cutting into the muffler would defeat the purpose of it muffling.

If you don't want to add a Y pipe which would stick low... then cut off the pipe after the muffler and meet it with the bottom of the Y pipe. In theory, three pipe will meet up and split into 2 for aesthetic.

OP
OP
JayDee

JayDee

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Why not just leave the muffler alone and add a Y pipe where the green and red is? Same thing, beside, cutting into the muffler would defeat the purpose of it muffling.

If you don't want to add a Y pipe which would stick low... then cut off the pipe after the muffler and meet it with the bottom of the Y pipe. In theory, three pipe will meet up and split into 2 for aesthetic.
First of all thank you very much for responding, i just joined civicx yesterday as a member but have actually been using it for months... ANYWAY, I’m really a visual person, i kinda understand what you are saying; is this what you mean? It would be way simpler but the cuts that would have to be done to fit piping in their would have to be done by a real professional

*red is straight pipe
*blue is muffler routing
*green is cutout valve

So #1 or #2 ? #2 is even simpler, I’m just worried about the valve not working well or overheating

Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Sport Hatchback Exhaust Cutout 6629020C-B035-4875-8318-472171EBECD2

Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Sport Hatchback Exhaust Cutout 9120F2A4-739D-41B2-99B2-AA88A5224F05

Last edited:

Remm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Integra GSR, 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport, 2014 Accord LX
Country flag
Search gundo mod on the forums. It will sound like that. He used straight piping with mufflers still in place , so it should sound similar.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Sport Hatchback Exhaust Cutout IMG_1479.JPG

My DIY gundo mod.... Free. Effective. And sounds perfect.

Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Sport Hatchback Exhaust Cutout 1590613525110

Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Sport Hatchback Exhaust Cutout 1590613525349

Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Sport Hatchback Exhaust Cutout 1590613525562

LightX

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
First of all thank you very much for responding, i just joined civicx yesterday as a member but have actually been using it for months... ANYWAY, I’m really a visual person, i kinda understand what you are saying; is this what you mean? It would be way simpler but the cuts that would have to be done to fit piping in their would have to be done by a real professional

*red is straight pipe
*blue is muffler routing
*green is cutout valve

So #1 or #2 ? #2 is even simpler, I’m just worried about the valve not working well or overheating

6629020C-B035-4875-8318-472171EBECD2.jpeg

9120F2A4-739D-41B2-99B2-AA88A5224F05.jpeg
Both actually. Either add a Y pipe like #2 or cut and wield a Y pipe like #1.

OP
OP
JayDee

JayDee

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@Remm & @jtrader
Those are similar but i want to go all out and have a cutout so i can have a dash mounted button and i could switch between muffler delete and mufflers.

OP
OP
JayDee

JayDee

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Both actually. Either add a Y pipe like #2 or cut and wield a Y pipe like #1.
My logic is that the straight pipe part should be as “straight” as possible so that the exhaust gases have no trouble going directly out instead of getting caught into the mufflers. Makes sense right ?

attached i Have a picture of some guy that did a cutout on his ek hatch

Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Sport Hatchback Exhaust Cutout AF0DBE86-7D03-4CFD-8E89-E167023EEC00

Last edited:

LightX

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My logic is that the straight pipe part should be as “straight” as possible so that the exhaust gases have no trouble going directly out instead of getting caught into the mufflers. Makes sense right ?

attached i Have a picture of some guy that did a cutout on his ek hatch

AF0DBE86-7D03-4CFD-8E89-E167023EEC00.jpeg
Motor is too small and already have two path(muffler) for exhaust to escape. You’re doing it for the sound rather than gain, so it wouldn’t make a difference imo rather you add a Y pipe or replacing the pipe. Of course until you push power and/or constant full throttle, then straight out would make a difference.

OP
OP
JayDee

JayDee

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Motor is too small and already have two path(muffler) for exhaust to escape. You’re doing it for the sound rather than gain, so it wouldn’t make a difference imo rather you add a Y pipe or replacing the pipe. Of course until you push power and/or constant full throttle, then straight out would make a difference.
Oh yeah this is definitely for sound, i already have a HKS SSQV blow off valve and I’m working on a hack job cheap custom short ram intake.. after that last thing i wanna do is a catless downpipe to free up the exhaust a little... also do u know anyone that makes a driver side charge pipe with a blow off valve flange? Biggest reason i want a catless downpipe is bc the bov on stock position makes the car run rich and fuel is getting dumped into the cat and eventually it’ll be clogged up......... i wanted the type r but it was about double the cost of this, and it’s just my daily, i have a 95 hatch that I’m building with a k24 for my racecar..! :)

OP
OP
JayDee

JayDee

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'd just say do a muffler delete and don't even worry about the switch. Muffler delete on these cars is really quiet, all things considered
I thought about that but if you see what i said above i wanna go catless downpipe soon... even if i find a driver side charge pipe with a bov flange and get a @MAPerformance bpv block off plate, that way it’s not running rich and the cat isn’t getting clogged, i still would like the catless downpipe bc it would free up the exhaust, would make it a little louder, but my plan when i wanted to be quieter, would be kick the switch, exhaust is going thru mufflers now, it’ll be quieter but still have a good time... my 2000 civic coupe had a test pipe (cat delete) but had the muffler on, it sounded deep, but when i took off the muffler, that shit was loud as f*** ?

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't know the exact reasons, but blow off valves are frowned upon here at civicx it seems. Something to do with letting air escape the system which was accounted for via the MAF sensor.
Sponsored