Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
the lesson to me is, don't use a tune, seems pretty simple,

i don't know why, or understand why, people go out of thier way to create their own problems
I don't see the problem lol
Sponsored

ATX_Si

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe (gone). 2018 Accord EX-L 1.5t (gone) 2020 Audi Q3 S-Line. 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
Country flag
the lesson to me is, don't use a tune, seems pretty simple,

i don't know why, or understand why, people go out of thier way to create their own problems
if anything I think the takeaway from this is don't use the MSD coils on our platform. check out the tuning survey from @gtman if you really want a look into how most of us tuned members are faring with our tuned vehicles before you start bashing tunes/tuners.

pumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018vic
Country flag
if anything I think the takeaway from this is don't use the MSD coils on our platform. check out the tuning survey from @gtman if you really want a look into how most of us tuned members are faring with our tuned vehicles before you start bashing tunes/tuners.
i have,

and i am not bashing anything,

i am stating simple facts,

you are far more likely to have CVT problems with a tune, as opposed to without,

that is not my opinion, its fact

if the CVT could safely handle more power, then honda would have done it themselves,

tuners are not any smarter than honda is,

the factory tune gives maximum power without compromising reliability,

honda cares about the long term reliability of your CVT,

tuners do not,

Last edited:

ATX_Si

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe (gone). 2018 Accord EX-L 1.5t (gone) 2020 Audi Q3 S-Line. 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
Country flag
i have,

and i am not bashing anything,

i am stating simple facts,

you are far more likely to have CVT problems with a tune, as opposed to without,

that is not my opinion, its fact
depending on the tune, the additional mods and driving habits then absolutely it could increase the likelihood of failure. same could be said for the clutches on the manuals like my si. there's always a certain level of risk but it doesn't make it all bad by nature. this guys issue was also not with his cvt. I don't wan to jack his thread, I just don't see the relevance of blaming a tune for an unrelated part failure.

pumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018vic
Country flag
depending on the tune, the additional mods and driving habits then absolutely it could increase the likelihood of failure. same could be said for the clutches on the manuals like my si. there's always a certain level of risk but it doesn't make it all bad by nature. this guys issue was also not with his cvt. I don't wan to jack his thread, I just don't see the relevance of blaming a tune for an unrelated part failure.

he is still creating his own problems though,

my original remark.....

would this problem be happening if his car was stock??.......NO

ATX_Si

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
he is still creating his own problems though,

my original remark.....

would this problem be happening if his car was stock??.......NO
modding is a part of honda culture and some of us enjoy that part of the culture. whether we want to squeeze just a little more fun out of our cars or we want to build a track day lap machine or a drag monster its a personal preference. maybe its not for you and I get that. to each their own...

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I've learned to tune out the tuning haters. I value the opinions and experience of actual tuned drivers. A base tune driven without abuse has proven quite reliable. More stress but these cars handle it well.

Ghostinnc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 black pearl Civic EX-T coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The MSD ignition coils have a greater voltage and gives a better spark to the spark plugs for better reliability (ironic as hell). I also figured it would help smooth the acceleration because of the better spark energy, and it actually did make the acceleration smoother by a noticeable margin (I tested the stock ones and compared just to be sure). Was it worth it? For the $300 I paid, prolly not, alot more mods out there that give you better bang for your buck.
Other than cosmetic Hondata flash was by far for me the best bang for the buck mod I made....Just turned 46000 today?

pumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018vic
Country flag
modding is a part of honda culture and some of us enjoy that part of the culture. whether we want to squeeze just a little more fun out of our cars or we want to build a track day lap machine or a drag monster its a personal preference. maybe its not for you and I get that. to each their own...
i just don't like when people bitch and complain about problems they are having, when those problems were the direct results of their own actions

if your running a tune, you have given up the right to complain about future engine/tranny/drivetrain issues

Last edited:

ZHFK7

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic HB Sport touring
Country flag
I've learned to tune out the tuning haters. I value the opinions and experience of actual tuned drivers. A base tune driven without abuse has proven quite reliable. More stress but these cars handle it well.
100% agree, i have the ktuner starter 21 set aggressively. Im just smooth with inputs and let everything heat up and cool down efficiently. Fuel quality plays a huge roll, i treat my car like a daily driven fun hatch, not a race car. These tunes wake up the car, Its up to the driver to respect it for what it is.

smokeelaa

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Nissan 370z
Country flag
I know this is an old thread, but I'm always perplexed by someone that posts in an enthusiast forum saying "tuning is bad, you're dumb for tuning". Like, why are you here?
Sponsored