Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
via http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/14/five-signs-honda-cares-about-enthusiasts-again

Five signs Honda cares about enthusiasts, again
The New Civic Is Hot, The Hatchback Returns And Acura Doesn't Suck

It's a great time to be an enthusiast. From high-horsepower Hellcats to the purist BRZ, engaging automobiles are found in nearly every segment of the market. Everyone wants to join the performance parade. Everyone it seemed, but Honda.

The company that built some of Formula One's most successful engines, helped launch the tuner market and gave the world a seminal supercar, has watched competitors of all stripes surge by it for the hearts, minds and dollars of enthusiasts. Until now.

Honda put the rest of the auto world on notice at the New York Auto Show, revealing a jaw-dropping Civic concept, confirming the Type R will come to the United States and even adding a hatchback to the 2016 Civic line. Throw in the Acura NSX and much-improved ILX for Honda's luxury sibling, and it's undeniable the company is regaining its swagger. Once again, Honda is serious about performance, and here's five reasons why enthusiasts should believe.

The Honda Civic Concept Looks Great

We're psyched about the Civic concept, which was a surprise reveal earlier this month at the New York Auto Show. Clad in bright neon green, the concept edged out the Lincoln Continental for first place in our Editors' Choice awards at the show. As Editor-in-Chief Sharon Carty put it, "The color hurts so good."

Yes, the green is blinding, but you don't have to squint to see the 10th generation of the Civic. Honda's concepts are the real deal, and this is the car (mostly) that will launch this fall. It's attractive, with a long hood, curvaceous sides and a simple but sporty grille. The powertrain lineup will include a 1.5-liter VTEC turbo four-cylinder paired with a six-speed manual, which should be a treat for enthusiasts. With its fresh looks and intriguing mechanicals, the concept previews an everyday driver you can get excited about. Obviously, we are.

The Hatchback Returns

Yep, the Civic is getting a five-door hatch in the United States. It's been a while. Honda last offered a Civic hatch for a brief time in the mid-2000s, and only as the lower-volume Si model.

The new hatch will be produced at Honda's factory in the United Kingdom and imported to the United States. That's a win-win for Honda: it's using excess capacity in the UK to satiate a niche market for US buyers.

The annual hatch production is reportedly expected to be 30,000 to 40,000 units, which is a drop in the bucket for the Civic lineup and its massive though declining sales. Volume for the sedan and coupe was 325,981 units last year (down 3 percent) in the US market, and Honda has sold 66,722 Civics in America this year (down 6.2 percent). Apparently, US buyers are ready for a new Civic. Adding a hatchback certainly won't hurt. It's also another option for hatch fans, who can cross-shop the Civic hatch against the Volkswagen Golf, Ford Focus and Mazda3.

The Type R Is Coming To America

More good news for enthusiasts, the Type R is coming here. It's sort of like Honda thought to itself, "Hmm, why are we not bringing these things to the US?" And then just went for it. Makes sense to us.

The Type R was unveiled in March at the Geneva Motor Show, where it took third place in our Editors' Choice voting. It packs a turbo four pumping out 306 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque, which allows this racy Civic to run the Nürburgring in 7 minutes, 50.63 seconds. Whew. Honda is calling it a "racecar for the road." It certainly looks the part, with beefy Brembo brakes, a huge rear wing, a wide front splitter and deep side skirts. This is the Civic's performance flagship, slotting above the Si. We can't wait to push its limits.

The CR-Z Might Ditch The Hybrid

Finally, the CR-Z might become the sporting little hatch/fastback of our dreams. Maybe. Reports from Car and Driver and others that suggest Honda could swap the hybrid unit for a more traditional and potent four-cylinder. This would finally deliver on the promise of the CR-Z as a modern successor to the CRX.

Frankly, we like the current car. It's just underpowered. The two-seat layout is spot-on for enthusiasts, and the chassis is tight and sporty. Still, a new powertrain for the CR-Z is just a rumor, and since the reports initially surfaced, Honda has revealed plans for a refreshed Civic lineup that includes a hatch and the Type R. In our book, there's also room for a sporty two-seater in the company's portfolio. An S2000 is probably too much to ask.

The ILX Is Much Better, And Acura's Getting There

Hey, we need to devote at least one of our reasons to Acura's performance chops. Honda's upscale sister brand is in much better shape thanks to the fortified ILX. Acura dressed up the exterior with a nicer grille and LED headlights and a new rear fascia. The engine is now the well-liked 2.4-liter I4 with 201 horsepower, a major jump from the outgoing model's 150-hp 2.0-liter I4. It also swaps in a dual-clutch eight-speed transmission for the previous five-speed automatic. There's upgraded electronics, a stiffer chassis and a smarter interior. As Basem Wasef wrote in our first drive, "The 2016 Acura ILX's improvements in drivability and equipment deliver much-needed triage to this entry-level model, bringing the underdog sedan into relevancy in the face of compelling value propositions like the Audi A3 and Mercedes-Benz CLA."

So while Acura is getting its entry-level sedan right, it's also preparing to launch the much-anticipated NSX supercar. The Ohio-built speed demon launches Acura into rarified territory against some of the world's exotic carmakers. Clearly, Acura is trying to get back on the radar with enthusiasts. As Dave Marek, global creative director of Acura design, noted: "We need to say that Acura's a performance brand."

Acura is saying that loudly. And with its recent reveals in New York and Geneva, Honda is saying the same thing. Finally.
Sponsored

Backstrom

Threads
Reaction score
Honda is back baby! I can't wait to see what this 10th gen has in store for us. Already signs of good stuff to come at the tail end of the 9th gen.

martyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boring Accord family hauler
And if they bring back a S2000 inspired roadster (please just give us a more powerful version of the S660 roadster that Japan gets), it will be GAME ON! Still think Honda needs a proper RWD sports car to really bring back the sporty image.

CaptK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru XV Crosstek
And if they bring back a S2000 inspired roadster (please just give us a more powerful version of the S660 roadster that Japan gets), it will be GAME ON! Still think Honda needs a proper RWD sports car to really bring back the sporty image.
Agreed. It's the lack of a RWD platform that is holding back the possibly of any true sports car credibility IMO. If it's a cost issue they should just joint develop one with another company.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Agreed. It's the lack of a RWD platform that is holding back the possibly of any true sports car credibility IMO. If it's a cost issue they should just joint develop one with another company.
I don't see why Honda and Acura couldn't come up with a RWD platform and share it. Possibly do an S2000 successor for Honda and then for acura do an affordable sporty RWD coupe (Integra/RSX) that would serve the purpose of an entry level NSX sibling. Let honda do the smaller roadster and let acura do a larger coupe.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
I don't see why Honda and Acura couldn't come up with a RWD platform and share it. Possibly do an S2000 successor for Honda and then for acura do an affordable sporty RWD coupe (Integra/RSX) that would serve the purpose of an entry level NSX sibling. Let honda do the smaller roadster and let acura do a larger coupe.
I like this idea, but honestly I think that instead of doing coupes for both brands, they could do a coupe/roadster for Honda, and use the platform to do a 4 door RWD Acura. That would allow Honda to leverage the cost of platform development across a wider base. Also, it's be cool if they brought back the 5 cylinder engine for the 4 door.

C Note

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
--
I like this idea, but honestly I think that instead of doing coupes for both brands, they could do a coupe/roadster for Honda, and use the platform to do a 4 door RWD Acura. That would allow Honda to leverage the cost of platform development across a wider base. Also, it's be cool if they brought back the 5 cylinder engine for the 4 door.
I'd love to see a sports sedan from Acura to take on the 3 Series, A4 and C Class. That's a competitive segment but also huge sales so they could carve out a piece still with a competitive offering. And it would give the Acura brand some much needed credibility (aside from the NSX which is so far above the rest of the line up it might as well have its own separate badge).

CaptK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru XV Crosstek
I would love to see a new Integra. Unfortunately any plans would be way way out in the future. I would ideally want RWD soon, as in the Gen X Civic. In order for that to happen it seems the only hope is to look outside of the company to share costs, unless there are some very secret plans that they have kept completely under wraps.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well they've already got the RWD platform for the S660 (S1000) which for all intents and purposes could be stretched for an S2000 and even a civic sized sports coupe (since i have no idea if the new shared platform for civic and accord could be RWD compatible). Acura would make such a huge splash in the market with their new NSX and a new Integra/RSX style car. They'd just have to make sure to make it good enough to not get cross shopped with the Civic Si or Type R.

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
Well they've already got the RWD platform for the S660 (S1000) which for all intents and purposes could be stretched for an S2000 and even a civic sized sports coupe (since i have no idea if the new shared platform for civic and accord could be RWD compatible). Acura would make such a huge splash in the market with their new NSX and a new Integra/RSX style car. They'd just have to make sure to make it good enough to not get cross shopped with the Civic Si or Type R.
Isn't the S660 mid-engine? I'm all for a mid-engine "S2000", but when I think of a 'sport coupe' I think front-engine, rear-wheel drive.

H_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Si
Isn't the S660 mid-engine? I'm all for a mid-engine "S2000", but when I think of a 'sport coupe' I think front-engine, rear-wheel drive.
Yea FR setup is what I think of too when it comes to sporty coupes. Since the S660 is already reality they should just make it slightly bigger with a bigger engine and offer it in the US. The R&D costs for the car is already spent, so why not offer it in more markets to recoup the costs and profit even more.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From what i've ready honda is already heavily considering taking the S660 into Europe and even bringing it over here. Possibly with the larger 1.0 turbo engine that makes around 110hp. Give it a starting price around 20k and i think they'd have a popular little convertible city car.

Viet_Racer

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic EM1
Country flag
What they need is to place a Civic X model into the next Fast and Furious hah. I'm only half joking because the first F&F movie really made the Civic more popular at the time... but some would say with a bad crowd.

M1160

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots of Uber
Had a modified NSX pass me yesterday. Really brought me back to the days Honda was king of the sports imports - NSX, S2000, Prelude, Integra. Now that we have a sporty Civic (so they claim) coming, the NSX back, and the rumored baby NSX, good times definitely on horizon.

BigBang09

nsbryant09
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Former: 2004 Mustang V6, 2008 Civic LX)
What they need is to place a Civic X model into the next Fast and Furious hah. I'm only half joking because the first F&F movie really made the Civic more popular at the time... but some would say with a bad crowd.
But then you wouldn't be able to tell people that your VTEC just kicked in, "yo". Well, I guess you could, but it wouldn't be as funny. :p

Had a modified NSX pass me yesterday. Really brought me back to the days Honda was king of the sports imports - NSX, S2000, Prelude, Integra. Now that we have a sporty Civic (so they claim) coming, the NSX back, and the rumored baby NSX, good times definitely on horizon.
I like the direction Honda is going in, too. Don't forget about the turbo'd CRZ!
Sponsored