jpt0186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
It depends..
Current wheel + tire specs
and what size wheel are you looking to go?
Let me rephrase my question I think I asked the wrong thing. What determines how flush your wheels are? Would it be the width? I have OEM tires/wheels currently. Sorry, I’m new car modding so I’m still kinda unfamiliar with the terms and everything.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jayy_swish

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Let me rephrase my question I think I asked the wrong thing. What determines how flush your wheels are? Would it be the width? I have OEM tires/wheels currently. Sorry, I’m new car modding so I’m still kinda unfamiliar with the terms and everything.
Width and offset both play a role in determining the placement of the wheel. Offset being more important. The lower the number the more the wheel will stick out, the higher the number the more the wheel will be inside the wheel well. It varies on the width what size offset you want to run. So with a wider wheel you’ll want a slightly smaller offset (bigger offset number) in order for the wheel too fit, without modifications to the suspension or fenders or camber. Ideal offset for this car does vary by what you want to run. If you want to lower the vehicle the tire will then need to be taken into account so that you are not rubbing. And the offset will dictate how far in or out the wheel will stick and that will determine if you need to roll your fenders or not to prevent side wall rubbing. So offset usually follows the wheel size and diameter (For example: 18x8.5 +30, the wheel size is 18’s, wheel width is 8.5, and +30 is the offset). Most popular size for this car being a 18x8.5 +35

jpt0186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Width and offset both play a role in determining the placement of the wheel. Offset being more important. The lower the number the more the wheel will stick out, the higher the number the more the wheel will be inside the wheel well. It varies on the width what size offset you want to run. So with a wider wheel you’ll want a slightly smaller offset (bigger offset number) in order for the wheel too fit, without modifications to the suspension or fenders or camber. Ideal offset for this car does vary by what you want to run. If you want to lower the vehicle the tire will then need to be taken into account so that you are not rubbing. And the offset will dictate how far in or out the wheel will stick and that will determine if you need to roll your fenders or not to prevent side wall rubbing. So offset usually follows the wheel size and diameter (For example: 18x8.5 +30, the wheel size is 18’s, wheel width is 8.5, and +30 is the offset). Most popular size for this car being a 18x8.5 +35
So a higher number offset means a smaller offset? That’s confusing. If I’m correct the OEM wheels have a +50 offset. So if I go to a +35 offset then the wheel should be inside the wheel well more then right? But you also said the lower the number the more the wheel sticks out.

OP
OP
jayy_swish

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So a higher number offset means a smaller offset? That’s confusing. If I’m correct the OEM wheels have a +50 offset. So if I go to a +35 offset then the wheel should be inside the wheel well more then right? But you also said the lower the number the more the wheel sticks out.
Sorry I worded that poorly,
The smaller the number the more poke you get, the bigger the number the deeper in the fender the wheel sits.
..so a +50 because it’s a bigger number it’s seated deeper in the fender, and that’s why there a good amount of room between the wheel and inside fender. A +35 will sit farther out of the fender. So a +35 will sit you flush with the fender in the 10th gen civic, not true for other cars. Here is a good website to use when wanted to know the difference the offset number makes. Stock wheel size and width will depend on what level trim you have.
https://www.willtheyfit.com/

Now in the case of a spacer (just going to generalize this discussion because spacers are its own discussion)...
When you add a spacer you are subtracting from your starting offset. You are subtracting because you are pushing the wheel further out, and when we push the wheel further out your offset is a smaller number For example your stock wheel has a +50 offset and say you want your stock wheels to sit flush with the fender, then you would get a 20mm spacer.
Quick math here:
• offset is measured in mm

Wheel offset - spacer size (in mm) = new offset

—> so,
+50 offset - 20mm spacer =
A new offset of: +30

jpt0186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Sorry I worded that poorly,
The smaller the number the more poke you get, the bigger the number the deeper in the fender the wheel sits.
..so a +50 because it’s a bigger number it’s seated deeper in the fender, and that’s why there a good amount of room between the wheel and inside fender. A +35 will sit farther out of the fender. So a +35 will sit you flush with the fender in the 10th gen civic, not true for other cars. Here is a good website to use when wanted to know the difference the offset number makes. Stock wheel size and width will depend on what level trim you have.
https://www.willtheyfit.com/

Now in the case of a spacer (just going to generalize this discussion because spacers are its own discussion)...
When you add a spacer you are subtracting from your starting offset. You are subtracting because you are pushing the wheel further out, and when we push the wheel further out your offset is a smaller number For example your stock wheel has a +50 offset and say you want your stock wheels to sit flush with the fender, then you would get a 20mm spacer.
Quick math here:
• offset is measured in mm

Wheel offset - spacer size (in mm) = new offset

—> so,
+50 offset - 20mm spacer =
A new offset of: +30
Okay it makes more sense when you put it that way. So I think I’ve figured out that a higher tire width = more low profile looking tires if that’s correct. My next question is how does the aspect ratio effect the way the wheels and tires look. Say for instance I want wheels that are 18/8.5 +35 and tires that are 245/45/R18. How would those tires differ from 245/40/R18 or 245/35/R18?

OP
OP
jayy_swish

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Okay it makes more sense when you put it that way. So I think I’ve figured out that a higher tire width = more low profile looking tires if that’s correct. My next question is how does the aspect ratio effect the way the wheels and tires look. Say for instance I want wheels that are 18/8.5 +35 and tires that are 245/45/R18. How would those tires differ from 245/40/R18 or 245/35/R18?
First number is the the tires width in mm, followed by the percentage of the width also in mm (Ex. 235/40r18 —> the side wall is 40% of 235), and then wheel size. Tire size plays a HUGE role. You want to keep the size as close to stock as possible or you will get a speedometer error. If your tire is bigger than your stock tire then it will make you travel faster than what your speedometer is reading. If your tire is smaller than your stock size then you will be traveling slower than your speedometer. When I say bigger or smaller I mean height-wise (the bigger the middle number the bigger the side wall - 235/40r18)

For example:
Stock on a Sport is 235/40r18 the tire I put on my aftermarket wheels is 255/35r18.
My reasons for selecting that tire were:
• wider tire than stock
• smaller side wall, low profile tire (because I was going to lower the car - which I did, I wanted the room to avoid rubbing)
• cost was cheaper than a 245/35
• kept the speedo error % low ( https://tiresize.com/calculator/ )

Aaron84221

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic hatch back sport
Country flag
Does anyone know if you can run 18/8.5 +35 with a 245/40/18 with sportlines without rubbing in the front

OP
OP
jayy_swish

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Does anyone know if you can run 18/8.5 +35 with a 245/40/18 with sportlines without rubbing in the front
Should be fine.. maybe some light scrapping with big dips or potholes, but I recommend a 255/35 since that’s less of a speedometer error%, but the Difference is slight

padthaipapi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Coupe LX-P
Country flag
looking to run 18x9.5 +38 on stock suspension and have been told to run a 255/35/18 tire. What do you guys think? I'd like to clear some wheel gap but also want no rub.

OP
OP
jayy_swish

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
looking to run 18x9.5 +38 on stock suspension and have been told to run a 255/35/18 tire. What do you guys think? I'd like to clear some wheel gap but also want no rub.
In terms of wheel fitment you will clear it. So no issues there. On stock suspension you can pretty much run anything fine, it’s when you lower the vehicle is where you go to watch out for fitment a little more. Tire fitment will fit the set up, again no issue there. Now depending on your stock tire you might encounter some speedometer speed errors, because of your tire either being taller or shorter compared to your stock tire set up. If it’s taller then it will read faster than what your speedometer is saying, if it’s shorter it will read slowing that what your speedometer is actually reading. We just have to take a look at the speedo error % to see if it’s a good overall fit. What is your stock tire size?

CVCTURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6M
Country flag
Last edited:

padthaipapi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Coupe LX-P
Country flag
In terms of wheel fitment you will clear it. So no issues there. On stock suspension you can pretty much run anything fine, it’s when you lower the vehicle is where you go to watch out for fitment a little more. Tire fitment will fit the set up, again no issue there. Now depending on your stock tire you might encounter some speedometer speed errors, because of your tire either being taller or shorter compared to your stock tire set up. If it’s taller then it will read faster than what your speedometer is saying, if it’s shorter it will read slowing that what your speedometer is actually reading. We just have to take a look at the speedo error % to see if it’s a good overall fit. What is your stock tire size?
my stocks are 215/55R16

OP
OP
jayy_swish

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
my stocks are 215/55R16
I’d recommend one of these two sizes as it has the smallest error % (you want to be as close to 0 as possible). Which ever fits your budget will be best but these are the 2 sizes I recommend choosing from: 235/40r18 or 255/35r18

Speedometer error %
• 235/40r18 = -0.36%
- At 60 mph it will read 59.8 mph
- At 75 mph it will read 75.0 mph
• 255/35r18 = 1.13%
- At 60 mph it will read 60.7 mph
- At 75 mph it will read 75.9 mph

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
just threw some 18x8 +35 with 235x40 tires. Debating lowering using eibach pro kit. I use this as my family car/grocery getter, so at times back will be carrying some weight... trying to avoid rub, without any body mods.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
just threw some 18x8 +35 with 235x40 tires. Debating lowering using eibach pro kit. I use this as my family car/grocery getter, so at times back will be carrying some weight... trying to avoid rub, without any body mods.
I would think you should be just fine. That's not a really aggressive fitment at all.
Sponsored

Last edited: