Alanb97

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Honda Accord lx
Country flag
So I recently got my 19 CTR and while it is pretty quick stock I feel there is always room for more!! What are the first bolt ons / mods I should get for my car??
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
If you're looking for power or setting up a weekend car: intercooler, tune, downpipe, then rims and tires (go lighter), and exhaust. If you're looking for a DD setup: rims/tires (smaller diameter and lighter), intercooler, tune, downpipe. Some might swap the order of the intercooler and tune.

Edit: if you're planning on track work then you're looking at: oil cooler (may require modded fake vent), radiator, intercooler, brakes, rims and tires (go lighter and smaller recommended), tune, downpipe. After that a better flowing grill and hood. Shifters are also very popular as well in just about any build.

Edit 2: if the brakes annoy you, it may be useful to swap out pads as well.

Last edited:

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
I also got a 2019. Coming from a FBO 18 si with ethanol, the CTR really shines in every department. I have no plans on any serious modding for quite a while. I wrapped the turbo inlet pipe in gold reflective tape and installed a dry flow air drop in filter.
If you want the best bang for your buck as far as horsepower goes, the obvious choice is hondata or ktuner .

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
With summer on the horizon an intercooler. While not needed right away, upgrading the charge pipes would be beneficial down the road especially if you run it hard as the stock rubber hoses will expand and contract a lot. PRL and mishimoto sell full intercooler kits under $1k. The stock intercooler is hot garbage and will heat soak after any back to back pulls when it's slightly warm out.
A tune is the only way to get any more power with this bosche ECU. That and octane are the biggest givers of increased power. Then a downpipe since the stock one is pretty constricting. An aftermarket downpipe either catless or high flow cat will enable you to run more ignition timing and have quicker spool up. Might as well do a full exhaust after the downpipe too, a bigger front pipe on will help the engine breath better plus it will give the car some much needed sound so it doesn't sound like a turbo Prius. While still on the subject of sound, a drop in filter (plus a silicone hose while you're at it) will give you that ever satisfying shhccoooo sound on wot let off, plus you can hear the air whistling during a pull. Or you can get an intake that is similar in design to the stock intake, as the stock unit is designed very well and better at keeping intake temps down better than most aftermarket intakes. I have the PRL HVI and am loving it. Sounds amazing and runs cool. I had the mishimoto intake prior and I grew to hate it not long after. It's made of metal and the way you put it together leaves gaps for engine bay heat to be sucked in. Ran very hot and heat soaked easy.

18" wheels and tires for better ride quality, tire choice, and handling due to the reduced weight

aldksgo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 R-24920, '14 FB2, '10 Impreza 2.5i
Country flag
I have no bolt-ons currently and opted to go Hondata w/ Basemap to start. The difference is pretty noticeable and is probably the best performance:$ ratio.

sleepingawake

First Name
Sleeping
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic RS
Country flag
If you're looking for power or setting up a weekend car: intercooler, tune, downpipe, then rims and tires (go lighter), and exhaust. If you're looking for a DD setup: rims/tires (smaller diameter and lighter), intercooler, tune, downpipe. Some might swap the order of the intercooler and tune.

Edit: if you're planning on track work then you're looking at: oil cooler (may require modded fake vent), radiator, intercooler, brakes, rims and tires (go lighter and smaller recommended), tune, downpipe. After that a better flowing grill and hood. Shifters are also very popular as well in just about any build.

Edit 2: if the brakes annoy you, it may be useful to swap out pads as well.
In our country, Turkey, cars must be investigated every 2 years for exhaust system, ana generally car. And downpipe is forbidden. How do you pass this step? You take these out once 2 years for inverstigation then plug in?

Isnt there any legal way to get more power from exhaust system?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
In our country, Turkey, cars must be investigated every 2 years for exhaust system, ana generally car. And downpipe is forbidden. How do you pass this step? You take these out once 2 years for inverstigation then plug in?

Isnt there any legal way to get more power from exhaust system?
You’d have to ask someone else. If you use a down pipe you’ll want to tune which hides the code that it throws, so that might get you past the smog test if it’s CEL based. That said if they actually look at the exhaust system they’d need to figure out what is and isn’t stock. If they catch you then you’d need to swap it out I guess and retest.

Edit: note that using a tune to hide the CEL that would normally occur is technically considered fraud.
Sponsored