First track event in a car! Interesting experience.

Chi_The_Process

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I had the pleasure of driving on a 1 mile local closed course yesterday. This is not a rack track. The event was held at a local college where several organizations (Motorcycle, Cars, Emergency Response Vehicles) conducts their training. I have ridden this course over a million times on my motorcycle when I was a riding instructor. However, this organization ran the course in reserve (kinda threw me off at first). The day was set up with 3x20 min session.

Coming from a motorcycle racing background this was quiet a different experience. I have never driven a car on the track prior to yesterday. The size of the car made it hard to gauge the distance to the curb during the first session. On the bike, you can visually see everything ahead of you. You know exactly how much tarmac you have available to use. The apex was a little off but I got use to that really quick. With the car, you’re using a point of reference on your hood to pin point where to place the nose of the car.

My car is stock except for the 27WON motor mount. I drove with the rev match on. I broke my right ankle in high school and I don’t have the range of motion compare to my left. This is my first time out, I just wanted to enjoy the experience and focus on cornering.

Handling: The car handled extremely well. The car has very quick steering response. It was quick in the tight change of direction until the tires faded. Small mistakes and mid corner adjustments was very forgiving. The rev match felt like my R6 slipper clutch. :) The rear end of the car was floating a bit under heavy braking but it was very stable.

Brakes: The stock Brembo pads held up well. I did notice the pedal started to get mushy when I was pushing it. This can be a number of things but I’ll swap out the brake fluid to Motul next time.

Tires: This is a very interesting area. Everything you read online is 100% true on the stock Continental Sport Contact 6. It got extremely greasy after 4-5 laps. You really had to rely on smooth braking and throttle control to assist with it.

I had a great comparison yesterday. Another Type R was there with the same mileage (1500). This was a great apples to apples comparison. I was running 39 front and 35 rear. He was running maybe 32-33 all around. This buddies with older gen Honda’s who are experienced recommended him to use that. They told me to lower it and I refused. I’ve done my research using stock 245/30 tires on the track. Both of us ran in the same group but I had a little bit quicker pace. After each session we inspected each other’s car. His tire was in rough shape after the second session. He had lost chunks of rubber on the edges on his front tire. He also had more wear on his side wall from the tire being rolled over.

I had inspect my tires this morning and it was not in great shape only after 3x20 min session. The tires are worn more in the inside due to the camber set up on the Type R.

Honda Civic 10th gen First track event in a car! Interesting experience. 4F83E4D8-2EB2-4D93-962F-FE8579C85D0A
Sponsored

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I had a similar tire experience as you at a 1.6 mile track in Florida this past week. Surprisingly, the Conti's did fine when I went to Daytona, but were shredded after the low speed track I went to. It's amazing how bad they are at tracking considering how well they grip initially.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Think it worth it with any new car to get a proper alignment. Most cars are setup poorly intentionally to have them swerve to the right if you fall asleep at the wheel. Makes for rough life for the tire if not corrected early.
Sponsored