First Track Day Streets of Willow

LampRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Going to streets of willow mid September, this will be my first track day. About 20 of us rented out the track for half the day. Just wanted to know what I should do to prepare as most of us going are inexperienced. I'm going to do a oil change before and maybe a transmission fluid change as well. It it worth changing the brake fluids as well to high temp and getting new rotors/pads. With the current brakes they fade/warp when I push a little hard in the canyons. I'm not tuned so I don't believe ill need a intercooler but it will be a hot day.
Sponsored

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Going to streets of willow mid September, this will be my first track day. About 20 of us rented out the track for half the day. Just wanted to know what I should do to prepare as most of us going are inexperienced. I'm going to do a oil change before and maybe a transmission fluid change as well. It it worth changing the brake fluids as well to high temp and getting new rotors/pads. With the current brakes they fade/warp when I push a little hard in the canyons. I'm not tuned so I don't believe ill need a intercooler but it will be a hot day.
without a doubt, your number 1 priority should be making sure your car is able to withstand track abuse and that includes being able to stop.

Fluid and pads are at the top of my list for recommendations. Nothing like boiling your fluid and going into a wall on your first track day. You can probably leave your rotors on there but if you beat them up too much youll probably have to replace them afterwards.

aside from that, I say fresh oil and youre fine.

Kotaas

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Like another member said make sure your car is able to withstand the abuse you’re ganna put it in

Definitely do oil change, gear oil, better brake fluid and pads.

I just had my first track day last month my biggest problem were my brakes they got hot asf first session 3 laps in and they went soft on me I definitely regret not upgrading them when I had the chance besides that I did everything I said above + new tires

OP
OP
LampRod

LampRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Thanks for the replies, ill definitely be looking into getting better pads, rotors, and a fluid change.

RHMS

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SPB(2x), 350z, Si
Yes, change your fluids. Also if you do change to more aggressive pad I would recommend changing the rotors aswell. The car should have no heating issues on stock tune/stock IC. Enjoy, WSIR is a fun track.

If track days are going to become a thing you do and if you are looking for pad recommendations I found the Gloc R8 to be a solid pad for this platform. Long lasting and good bite through a wide temp range. The fronts get alittle noisy at around 50% life.

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
Not strictly necessary but since you need to upgrade to high temp brake fluid you might as well do stainless steel brake lines as well at the same time. I just did my fronts recently with goodridge and I definitely felt an improvement in stiffer pedal feel like others have said. It will be a welcome addition when your stomping on that pedal. Also if you are having a bit of trouble doing down shift rev match look into a pedal relocator like acuity. That helped me tremendously as the stock position was not ideal.

OP
OP
LampRod

LampRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Not strictly necessary but since you need to upgrade to high temp brake fluid you might as well do stainless steel brake lines as well at the same time. I just did my fronts recently with goodridge and I definitely felt an improvement in stiffer pedal feel like others have said. It will be a welcome addition when your stomping on that pedal. Also if you are having a bit of trouble doing down shift rev match look into a pedal relocator like acuity. That helped me tremendously as the stock position was not ideal.
Ya I have the pedal relocator but I still haven't been able to do a nice heel toe. Still feels unnatural. I should probably practice it more before the track day.

CivXHBS2Si

First Name
"Kong"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Si coupe, 15 Ford Explorer Sport
Country flag
Yo when is this happening? Is it too late for me to tag along??

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oil change for sure. I'd possibly look into going 0w-30 considering the amount of abuse it's going to take at streets, and how hot its going to be. Remember the oil will take more abuse considering it's also running through the turbo.

Dot 4 brake fluid and better pads should do fine as well. Transmission fluid I'd change if it's near the time to change anyway

Bring a wheel chock with you and don't enable the EPD after a session, let the car sit on wheel chock and don't apply brakes. (my dumbass did exactly this on my first session and I basically welded the pads to the rotors lol)

Last edited:

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Here's something to consider. Use higher gears. I mean if you can get through a turn and accelerate out reasonably, don't downshift. There is a lot of torque below the redline. My current plan for the next track day is to minimize downshifting and focus instead on maintaining momentum through turns so that I will be thinking of highest speed all through the turn and learning the limits. Especially if you can't do the heel-toe thing without thinking about it. One less thing to think about in a turn you don't have to shift down for. I don't know that track.
On the other hand, upshift early in the straights. Car relaxes, you relax, and as I say there is a lot of torque below the redlne.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LampRod

LampRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
So in the end I was not able to take my car on track do to the axle being broken. I guess the outer joint boot ripped during the coilover install and it didn't break till a few days before the track day. Leaked all the grease and is clicking now when I turn. Still got to take a ride in a M4 GTS, Audi RS5, and got to drive my friends M2 so still got some track experience. Here's a couple videos.

Attachments