First Track Day in the Type R at Watkins Glen

Rmbrady

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 type r
Country flag
Had my first chance to take my 2021 out to the track. Wanted to take the car as stock as possible, so I could get an idea of improvements from future mods. So aside from the AWE touring exhaust, the car was stock down to the pads and fluid.

Everything held up amazingly, never had any overheating issues, it ranged from the mid 50s to high 70s throughout the weekend. It was my first time driving a FWD car at the track and I was impressed. Only issue I had was not having enough pressure in the tires for the first run and getting a ton of rollover on the driver's front. Second day the track was wet and I think I was the fastest car in my run group as everyone else was in RWD and hesitant to get on the throttle.

Overall I am extremely pleased with the performance of the car and can't wait til next season. I think for the next time out, I'll get some harnesses, track pads, fluid, and a set of 18" wheels and tires.

Included the data from my fastest lap of the weekend.
Honda Civic 10th gen First Track Day in the Type R at Watkins Glen Screenshot_20211004-084145
Honda Civic 10th gen First Track Day in the Type R at Watkins Glen Screenshot_20211004-084158

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
What data software are you using?

OP
OP

Rmbrady

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 type r
Country flag
I use the Racebox, the screenshots are from the app. Last year they were often on sale for around $250, I've been pretty happy with the purchase.

I used Harry's Lap timer for years, which I was pretty happy with, but the results seemed to be slightly more erratic (not that big of a deal, as I'm not a pro racer), I never really went back to watch the video from my laps, and sometimes it just would flake out on me, probably due to some Android issue.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Good stuff i would have loved to see the faces of everyone you ran with when you pulled up on a TypeR getting those good times for a FWD car.

Cranium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Glad you had fun! I'm also in Buffalo (Orchard Park), but have never tracked my R. My good friend Scott is a part of the BMW Club (has an E46 M3) that he takes to the Glen at least a couple of times a year for events like this. Cheers! :)

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R - Boost Blue; 2024 Civic Touring - SGP
Country flag
Looks quick. Were there any other Type R there?
The good news is that I think with a little more time on the track you'll go even quicker.

I see from your data trace that your max braking is into the heel of the boot and into turn 1. Those are both downhill braking areas. You should be able to match that braking easily into the uphill bus stop.

The 129 MPH top speed is more that I would have expected. There's no throttle trace, but I can see a slight bobble in the acceleration trace exiting turn 1. Get rid of that and your speed on the straight will improve, too.

Good job.

OP
OP

Rmbrady

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 type r
Country flag
Looks quick. Were there any other Type R there?
The good news is that I think with a little more time on the track you'll go even quicker.

I see from your data trace that your max braking is into the heel of the boot and into turn 1. Those are both downhill braking areas. You should be able to match that braking easily into the uphill bus stop.

The 129 MPH top speed is more that I would have expected. There's no throttle trace, but I can see a slight bobble in the acceleration trace exiting turn 1. Get rid of that and your speed on the straight will improve, too.

Good job.

I suspect there are at least 6 seconds to be had with a really good run on a warm surface.

RTC975

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Type-R
Country flag
Had my first chance to take my 2021 out to the track. Wanted to take the car as stock as possible, so I could get an idea of improvements from future mods. So aside from the AWE touring exhaust, the car was stock down to the pads and fluid.

Everything held up amazingly, never had any overheating issues, it ranged from the mid 50s to high 70s throughout the weekend. It was my first time driving a FWD car at the track and I was impressed. Only issue I had was not having enough pressure in the tires for the first run and getting a ton of rollover on the driver's front. Second day the track was wet and I think I was the fastest car in my run group as everyone else was in RWD and hesitant to get on the throttle.

Overall I am extremely pleased with the performance of the car and can't wait til next season. I think for the next time out, I'll get some harnesses, track pads, fluid, and a set of 18" wheels and tires.

Included the data from my fastest lap of the weekend.
Screenshot_20211004-084145.jpg
Screenshot_20211004-084158.jpg
Watkins is a blast in these cars. I live an hour away from The Glen & have many, many laps there on my 19. Nothing like blasting out of 1, up the hill through the esses, down the back straight in to the bus stop. Toe of the boot is awesome as well, hitting that at speed. The elevation changes there are incredible. Nice to see a fellow R driver go turn a few laps.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Looks awesome glad the car held up so well!
Sponsored