First time SI owner: what have you done with yours?

Pauleo1214

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si, 1974 MB 450SE, 1982 MB 300TD
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen First time SI owner: what have you done with yours? CSI

I realize many threads like this one preceded it, so I apologize. However, I do think my post is somewhat unique in that I am a late bloomer. As a 35-year-old, I've only ever driven a Civic LXs with automatic transmissions. I did not know how to use a manual until this summer when I borrowed my mother-in-law's Fit to teach myself.

Getting the hang of using a manual transmission was an eye-opening experience. Driving became much, much more engaging. The Fit was a blast to drive. It was not fast, but cornering was a sublime experience.

I looked at my 2013 LX with 143k miles and bid it a fond farewell after test driving a 2020 Civic SI at Carmax. My SI came with 16,994 miles on the odometer. Then, 800 miles later, the clutch went; Carmax verified the previous owner abused the hell out of it and replaced it at no expense. The only downside was I had to drive a very boring Hyundai Sonata while my Civic SI was in the shop.

Currently, she's bone stock except for a TSP Stage 1 + tune. I want to do more but I've seen many threads in which pushing the car to the 300whp spells doom for your clutch and engine.

Currently, I want to focus on mods that will improve the handling experience of this car; I have a Whiteline Sway Bar kit on order and will also likely order a front strut tower bar and performance breaks.

I have no dreams of adding a bigger turbo, given the horror stories I have read. I have the stage 1+ tune, which I read can damage the clutch if MAP3 in sport mode with regular use.

My question to those with more experience tuning Civics and the 10th gen platform is, would I be hurting anything by adding an Injen short ram intake, performance downpipe, and a PRL intercooler to keep heat soak and help the turbo spool faster? Should I keep everything stock and focus on handling mods instead? What do you think, and what have you done with your Civics to keep them reliable?

This car is my daily driver, and I am lucky I have been able to remote work the past two years to avoid putting on heavy mileage. My inner hooligan still dreams, though!

Thank you all, and apologies for the long post.
Sponsored

04sthemi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI, 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Country flag
As someome that’s boring an has kept there si pretty much stock I’m not much help for performance, but for handling I would def recommend some lighter(not hard w/the bricks from the factory) wheels an sticker tires.

Also welcome!

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My question to those with more experience tuning Civics and the 10th gen platform is, would I be hurting anything by adding an Injen short ram intake, performance downpipe, and a PRL intercooler to keep heat soak and help the turbo spool faster? Should I keep everything stock and focus on handling mods instead? What do you think, and what have you done with your Civics to keep them reliable?
Welcome!

Injen is crap; don't get it. Get your intake, downpipe, and intercooler from reputable companies like PRL, 27Won, MAPerformance, or Mishimoto. In fact, good thing you tuned first because all of those mods you want would be worth on the visual appeal without a tune. ? Now, you'll maximize the performance of those mods!

RE reliability: as long as you use well-engineered parts, and drive smartly, don't tach-out the engine all the time, then tuned reliability on these cars is fantastic. If you haven't already, check out, and please add your car, to GTman's tune thread.

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Welcome!

If your clutch is stock consider it a matter of time before its toast regardless of tune or map, they are known for giving out stock even. Injen is not that great for this platform.

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
like previous people have stated 27Won, PRL are the TOP options for performance parts for this platform. welcome to the gang, sorry you had to buy some Dbags abused Si, hopefully you dont run into further issues down the line.

OP
OP

Pauleo1214

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si, 1974 MB 450SE, 1982 MB 300TD
Country flag
Thanks for the replies so far everyone! It was really disconcerting to be stranded on a two lane highway with no shoulder during rush hour when the clutch gave out. Fortunately it was replaced at no cost but due to supply chain issues, I had to wait some 45 days for it to be replaced.

I hope there won't be furtherissues. My previous 2013 lx was solid with NO issues for 150k besides wear and tear. I expect that same quality but I read the clutch is a weak point. I will likely buy a performance kit to have on hand when this new one goes!
Sponsored