First time buying a car, 2017 Coupe Touring $23,000

MD19

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Hello all. I finally went to a dealership nearby my home yesterday after close to a month of research. Before I left work I checked on Edmunds as well as some forums to get an idea of what I should reasonably expect. The prices I had researched as well as the prices I received when I walked in and spoke with the sales rep and manager were as follows:

EX-L
  • MSRP: 24,400
  • Low: 20,832
  • Invoice: 22,729
  • High: 24,000
  • Initial Offer: 22,500 base, 24,538.13 OTD + plate fees
Touring
  • MSRP: 27,100
  • Low: 23,000
  • Invoice: 25,000
  • High: 27,000
  • Initial Offer: 25,000 base, 27,253.75 OTD + plate fees
I thought that these were okay prices, but I left and told them I would be in contact if I decided to use them after contacting another dealer I had spoken with, at which point they gave me the OTD costs. I ended up going to Edmunds to compare at home.

I received on offer via Edmunds of 22,429 for the EX-L and 24,745 for the Touring. After this I planned to contact other dealers but not step back into the dealership until it is time to buy.

Earlier today I spoke with a handful of dealers who said they could and would beat the initial offer I got on both cars. I took down a few numbers and finally decided to push to see what the absolute lowest I could get. I had seen in another thread someone considered 23,000 for a touring a steal so I texted one of the salesmen I had spoken with earlier and offered 25,100 OTD and said if he could make that number work I would be in the following morning. To my surprise, he texted me back a few hours later saying he had spoken with his manager and accepted the offer. Without TTL, I am getting the car for 23,000.

I am based out of Long Island, NY and plan to finance at 1.9% for 60 months through Honda with a 4-5k down payment. This is my first time buying a new car, but I should absolutely jump on the Touring at this price, right? I thought about shopping this price, but I don't believe being greedy will benefit me in any way. What do you think?
Sponsored

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
That's right at 15% off MSRP and, IMO, that's right where you should be on a Honda. You could probably still get another few hundred off of that, but it may not be worth the hassle.

I'd go for it, but absolutely be ready to walk out of the door if they try to hit you with any extra fees once you get there. That's a common tactic since they know most people won't be able to stop themselves once they have it in their mind "I'm going to buy this car today".

OP
OP
MD19

MD19

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
That's right at 15% off MSRP and, IMO, that's right where you should be on a Honda. You could probably still get another few hundred off of that, but it may not be worth the hassle.

I'd go for it, but absolutely be ready to walk out of the door if they try to hit you with any extra fees once you get there. That's a common tactic since they know most people won't be able to stop themselves once they have it in their mind "I'm going to buy this car today".
That's what I was thinking too. 15% off on my first time buying (and considering that in my area the average is 24,500) I feel like it's good. I'm going to go back to the first dealer because I told him I would come to him with the offer I received (and it's closer to my house) to see if they will beat it but worst case it's only a 35 minute drive to the other.

I was very specific with my request and told him that I would be doing 25,100 OTD with everything besides plates included in that cost so if they try to pull that I will not hesitate to leave. Given the manager at the first dealership was steadfast to not go below invoice (and I didn't really feel like pushing) I think I can count the $2100 drop (around 6 months worth of payments) as a success. I initially only wanted the EX-L w/Sensing but that trim doesn't come with it in the coupes so the Touring price seems fair.

OP
OP
MD19

MD19

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
And to the surprise of no one they're trying to bait and switch. I asked for OTD pricing and they came back with 25,100, then this morning when I went to confirm before driving over they said 25,100 was the sale price and it would be hard to do a Touring at that price with fees and taxes included. I'm willing to go as high as 26,000 OTD but even that sounds like it's too much. The first dealer I went to said it was impossible and that going so far below invoice they would be losing money he didn't understand how even with holdovers being 6-700. The second salesman told me they had a meeting this morning to "Push civics" so he knows he can get me a good deal, and that he wasn't trying to be a salesman.
Sponsored