majcoug

First Name
Maj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si '19
Country flag
Hey everyone! I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I've been lurking the past few weeks and finally decided to make a post! I got my brand new Si 4 D Sedan about 1.5 months ago and am in absolute LOVE! I've never owned a manual before and this car is extremely easy to drive. I was hoping to get some advice on winter tires mainly. I go to school in an area where it snows quite a bit for about 1-2 months during the winter and need to be able to get around. I've been doing some research and have found many people going with 17" tires with some cheap wheels like steelies. However, after looking at some basic research, it seems to me that buying a pair of 18" tires and just switching out my stock OEM wheels would be the best option for me financially. Since I am a student, I really need the most financially sound option available. I'm willing to spend on a decent amount of tires to be safe of course but after doing some basic research i'm now stuck as to go with 17" with steelies or 18" tires (which seems cheaper and I can get some good tires for around 800 from tire rack it seems like where as the 17" with steelies would cost me around 1000? from what I can tell) I could be totally off too so any help would be appreciated! Other then that, I would take any pointers on maintenance/how to keep the car running smooth and getting the most life. I'm already at around 5k miles and my oil life is still at 50% so it's making me a bit nervous since i'm used to an oil change every 3k-5k miles. Anyways, I look forward to meeting more of you and getting your thoughts!
Honda Civic 10th gen First Si and First Brand New Car! 67297401_427747177814086_6362741960213528576_n
Honda Civic 10th gen First Si and First Brand New Car! 67299413_2946249872267857_2915975892800897024_n
Honda Civic 10th gen First Si and First Brand New Car! 67230246_2427040844242542_9078806242285060096_n
Honda Civic 10th gen First Si and First Brand New Car! 66750681_535590280516606_5019063168236781568_n

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The cheapest route might be to find some good all-season tires with decent snow traction on Tirerack and sell your OE tires. That’s assuming you don’t want to or have a place to store a second set of wheels (summer or winter). You can find a used set 17” wheels (steel or alloy) for winter use on Craigslist or OfferUp but that’s not going to be the cheapest option. Good luck.

TheComebackKid

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MSM Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Speaking from experience I would avoid using the stock size tire for winter (235/40/18) with the stock wheels. I have a set of Micheline X-Ice XI3's and they are great winter tires but 40 is very low profile for the winter. As for the stock wheels they get pretty beat-up in the winter. This summer I ended up buying a set of the 18" Sport wheels for the summer and keeping the stock wheels for the winter.

The only reason why I got the 18" winter tires is because I'm in Quebec where winter tires are mandatory and most dealerships throw in the winter tires with the sale. If I would of thought about it before I would of asked for 17" tires with steel rims instead of the 18" tires.

So yeah If you definitely want to go with winter tires I would go with 225/50/17 tires on steel rims. Like mentioned above, check Craigslist, i remember with my first car I had found a set of winter tires with steel rims that were used for about 3000miles for half the price it would of costed new because the guy was moving to Cali and didn't need winter tires anymore.

Jay_Tech

First Name
Jarrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
The cheaper option in the long run of things is to go to a 17" winter if you don't have access to a shop to install the tires yourself. Costs of tire installation is more for swapping the tires off rims and having to rebalance each time, than if you just swap a set of pre built tires over. Where I am tire installation can run anywhere from $60-100(Canadian), to remove the all seasons, install the winters, and rebalance. And you have to do that each winter and spring. Where a set of winter tires on their own set of wheels, installation costs are about $20-40. Also if you had a set of winter tires and rims put together, you could also install them yourself in the drive way and save money all together.

OP
OP

majcoug

First Name
Maj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si '19
Country flag
The cheapest route might be to find some good all-season tires with decent snow traction on Tirerack and sell your OE tires. That’s assuming you don’t want to or have a place to store a second set of wheels (summer or winter). You can find a used set 17” wheels (steel or alloy) for winter use on Craigslist or OfferUp but that’s not going to be the cheapest option. Good luck.
Hey man, so I got stock GOODYEAR all season tires with my car from the dealer. I am only needing to survive 1 winter. So do you think since they are all season already that I would be okay with those tires? From the other couple of replies, I'm literally at the same point as I was before the post...I don't really see a consensus either ways. I don't really minding storing an extra pair of tires..the biggest factor for me is safety and cost.