First Oil Change

ahto42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB sport navi plus 1.5T, 2011 Nissan X-trail 2.0 diesel
Country flag

A video about oil in a new engine. For me, after seeing this, It confirmed my knowledge about the fresh engine, that parts wear in and metal pieces travel in oil.
Sponsored

Jervic

First Name
Jeramy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport hatchback
Country flag
2019 civic sport at 3100 miles at 30% oil monitor,done first oil change DIY.Short trip.city driving.Average 27 MPG.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Changing mine this weekend, 3000 miles. 50% MM and all commuting miles, maybe 600 a month at worst. No hooning. Gonna get that break-in metal dust out of there as well as bits and pieces from when they manufactured the engine.
It's all in there.
Mobil 1 0w/20 and genuine Honda filter.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
this image is from the inside of my oil filter from my 2009 370Z at about 45,000 miles not burning oil, clean tailpipe, everything stable. This is normal engine metal wear.
I imagine it’s a little more wear on a “breaking in/seating parts” engine.

Huh ?

this ain't the 70's anymore
Honda Civic 10th gen First Oil Change 89887599-987D-4CA1-A16F-886D63B5389C

manualSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm at ~2700 miles and somehow maintenance minder came on recently saying I'm at 15%, I checked the dipstick and it looks like this:

For the most part, I only do short trips to work each day. How is my oil so low and so bad this quickly? Should I be concerned?
Honda Civic 10th gen First Oil Change JS8COKi

manualSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
why have you not been checking your oil on a regular basis?

was your oil full when you bought the car?

what date was your car built on?

the MM will recommend oil change one year from the date the car was built, are you at that point?
Haven't been checking regularly cause I'm an idiot. I didn't check when I first bought it (new) cause I assumed that was done as part of their bullshit 30 point inspection or whatever at the dealership. Lessons learned for sure.

Yeah, my car was manufactured one year ago from when the MM first came on (October).

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm at ~2700 miles and somehow maintenance minder came on recently saying I'm at 15%, I checked the dipstick and it looks like this:

For the most part, I only do short trips to work each day. How is my oil so low and so bad this quickly? Should I be concerned?
JS8COKi.jpg
It is a good idea to keep an eye on your oil periodically, especially if you do lots of city driving and have a spirited right foot. Cold engines and boost is a recipe for blow by.

Your oil is probably just fine at 2700 miles, but feel free to change it. I've noticed the oil is pretty darn dark when I change it compared to my other cars, but my oil analysis reports (and everybody else's reports) does not show any issues. I'm using AMSOIL SS 0w20 and I change at 10k. It's black as night, but I could run it to 12k with no issues.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
honda recommends changing the oil once a year, regardless of what the MM says, or mileage,

his oil should be changed, its been a year, thats why the MM is down to 15%
Missed the part where he said it's a year old. For sure change it.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
My oil got changed this weekend by me, at 3100 miles and it was coal black but on that DAMN HONDA TOY DIPSTICK I could hardly tell what the level was, even with the oil as dirty as it was. I'm going to take that orange off there.
Our Santa Fe dipstick has some kind of finish/treatment on the end of the dipstick, and it's fantastically easy to tell the oil level at a glance.
Oh well. I put my 5.7 quarts in and have to trust the quantity because even with a bright flashlight and paper towel I could only see that there was oil on the dipstick, not marking any level on that joke of an oil dipstick. I know that if it's wet then the level is probably ok.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My oil got changed this weekend by me, at 3100 miles and it was coal black but on that DAMN HONDA TOY DIPSTICK I could hardly tell what the level was, even with the oil as dirty as it was. I'm going to take that orange off there.
Our Santa Fe dipstick has some kind of finish/treatment on the end of the dipstick, and it's fantastically easy to tell the oil level at a glance.
Oh well. I put my 5.7 quarts in and have to trust the quantity because even with a bright flashlight and paper towel I could only see that there was oil on the dipstick, not marking any level on that joke of an oil dipstick. I know that if it's wet then the level is probably ok.
If you really put 5.7qts in there.... Enjoy your milkshake.
**EDIT** Just saw you have a CTR. You're good.

Also, the two indents on the orange dip stick very clearly show where the oil is. Clean out the indents. If it's over the first one, you're good.
Honda Civic 10th gen First Oil Change upload_2019-11-11_14-25-8

Last edited:

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
If you really put 5.7qts in there.... Enjoy your milkshake.
**EDIT** Just saw you have a CTR. You're good.

Also, the two indents on the orange dip stick very clearly show where the oil is. Clean out the indents. If it's over the first one, you're good.
upload_2019-11-11_14-25-8.png
Yeah I carefully cleaned and still, even under a bright light it's not easy to discern where the top of the oil stops on that dipstick. I understand that the indents are recessed to avoid getting oil on them on insertion. As I said earlier as long as I can see oil on there and I put the required amount in I'm good.
I'm accustomed to having a real dipstick. Although soon automakers will lock the crankcase and force you to go to the dealer to have the oil changed.
Some makers on the automatic transmissions have removed the dipstick with "lifetime" oil, lol. And, Porsche has an electronic oil gauge.....

manualSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Yeah, the orange dipstick is super annoying. It seems fundamentally flawed with the indents. I really don't get it.

Just had my oil changed at a Honda shop, and even afterwards I still don't feel very certain about my oil levels. Fresh oil basically blends in with the orange! And the shape of the dipstick basically forces the oil down and into the holes. wtf
Honda Civic 10th gen First Oil Change mrBDbMw

EDIT: On second thought, maybe I'm just stupid and you only need to check if the little indents are wet or not :hide:
Sponsored