First Oil Change

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Take over servicing you're own car. I've changed my oil 5 times now and I'm at 34,000kms. If I went through Honda it would have only been done 3 times so far I will say I listened to Honda and changed at 7242 miles and I regret it. I got the car with 350 miles on it so it was probably not treated so well before me by salesman (it was dealer traded 2 times before I bought it new). I did my second oil change at 10780 last month and I'm .
Sorry, I hit 'reply' on the wrong post.
Sponsored

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I will say I listened to Honda and changed at 7242 miles and I regret it. I got the car with 350 miles on it so it was probably not treated so well before me by salesman (it was dealer traded 2 times before I bought it new). I did my second oil change at 10780 last month and I'm at 14780 now, oil life still says 70% but I'm getting antsy
Just curious, what made you regret it? Was it because of the 350 miles that were already on the car?

Riggsy77

2020 Hatch Sport M/T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport Hatch 6spd
Country flag
Just curious, what made you regret it? Was it because of the 350 miles that were already on the car?
Because I knew when I bought the car that I should've done it early. And then I read a forum on here that changed that. My gut still told me to do it early but I didn't. Plus it's my ultimate goal to see 500k+ on this car!

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Because I knew when I bought the car that I should've done it early. And then I read a forum on here that changed that. My gut still told me to do it early but I didn't. Plus it's my ultimate goal to see 500k+ on this car!
I'm planning on replacing it after 4 years so I'll be the guinea pig and follow the maintenance minder. Will update the forum if any issues arise.

Riggsy77

2020 Hatch Sport M/T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm planning on replacing it after 4 years so I'll be the guinea pig and follow the maintenance minder. Will update the forum if any issues arise.
My civic is having two problems as of tonight. The transmission linkage may be off from what I suspect. And I suspect there is a vacuum leak as well. I can't get it to my local Honda dealer until Wednesday so I'm hoping my dad lets me put in the garage and use his volt until then since he's going out of town. I'm panicking I can't go without a car lmao it only has just under 15000 miles

Last edited:

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
My civic is having two problems as of tonight. The transmission linkage may be off from what I suspect. And I suspect there is a vacuum leak as well. I can't get it to my local Honda dealer until Wednesday so I'm hoping my dad lets me put in the garage and use his volt until then since he's going out of town. I'm panicking I can't go without a car lmao it only has just under 15000 miles
Ugh that sucks. The Volt is cool. I drove one for a week once. Charging was a bit of a hassle though, unless you have access to a 220 volt source. The new Civic definitely has had its issues, but still a very fun car to drive.

Riggsy77

2020 Hatch Sport M/T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ugh that sucks. The Volt is cool. I drove one for a week once. Charging was a bit of a hassle though, unless you have access to a 220 volt source. The new Civic definitely has had its issues, but still a very fun car to drive.
I absolutely love it. I'm just surprised that it's having issues so early, I think I may have jinxed it.... :( I just emailed the saleswoman who sold me it telling her how much I liked it, but I also complained about the plastic vibration issue. I'm just hoping this is an isolated incident. My 2012 Accord had no issues other than a blown fuse that was fixed when I bought it. Of course the 2012 was the last year of that accord and the 16 is the first year of this civic... whatever as long as it's under warranty and I don't have to pay. If the car continues to give issues after this I will trade for a new Accord (2017 not the new 18) but I dont see that happening. Volt is cool but it's not for me I drive to much. My civic can beat the mpg on the highway when they both run gas. My dad has a 10 mile daily commute so it's great for him, but he uses it when he travels. Our Prius is probably the least troublesome car we've ever had, 77000 miles and it's been perfect since it was brand new. Not so fun to drive but it's great for trips and very comfortable. When we replace it my mom wants the new one because she loves hers so much!

Last edited:

crossont

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX
I went in for my first oil change when I got down to about 10%. The service guy told me to ignore the maintenance reminder and to come in every 5000 miles. He was actually kinda rude about it and made me feel like I was an idiot and that I didn't know what I was talking about. All I remember was the salesman saying the car will tell me when it needs service, so I had been waiting for it. I'm assuming Honda knows the car THEY built better than they guy that just does oil changes on it. I guess he was trying to get more oil changes out of me, but they are free anyway... So i don't know what his angle was.

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 6mt, 2015 Highlander V6 AWD, 2017 Accord EX coupe 2.4 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I went in for my first oil change when I got down to about 10%. The service guy told me to ignore the maintenance reminder and to come in every 5000 miles. He was actually kinda rude about it and made me feel like I was an idiot and that I didn't know what I was talking about. All I remember was the salesman saying the car will tell me when it needs service, so I had been waiting for it. I'm assuming Honda knows the car THEY built better than they guy that just does oil changes on it. I guess he was trying to get more oil changes out of me, but they are free anyway... So i don't know what his angle was.
He actually wants what's best for your car. Honda just wants it to make it thru the warranty period, then come back and buy another. Listen to this guy. Change your oil. This isn't rocket science!

WNC_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean Blue Civic LX Coupe 6 speed manual ,2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 5 speed manual

When i bought mine the dealer put the oil change reminder on the inside of the windshield and verbally told me to change it at 5000 miles which i intend to do.

I am thinking my oil life will be at 70% when i hit 5000 miles

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 6mt, 2015 Highlander V6 AWD, 2017 Accord EX coupe 2.4 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
When i bought mine the dealer put the oil change reminder on the inside of the windshield and verbally told me to change it at 5000 miles which i intend to do.

I am thinking my oil life will be at 70% when i hit 5000 miles
I'm changing mine at 80%

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
You should check to make sure it's still free if you bring it in before 15%.

jackson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
Hey all, so the reminder on my 2016 Civic EX is telling me I need a oil change. First one since purchased.

So the grade of oil is 0w20 and the manual says you can do synthetic as well. However couple of concerns.

- I don't think anything BUT synthetic comes in that grade, 0w20.
- The reminder on the car is rated I am assuming to go approx. 10k-12k miles on one change of course it depends on driving style etc... So to me this sounds like it has to be synthetic oil as regular dyno oil is not recommended to go this sort of distance without being changed?

Basically, I'm wondering if I put in synethic are oil changes every 7.5k miles good enough even tho the reminder on the car might not tell you do change it.

I planned on doing, OEM Honda Filter and Mobil 0w20. Any issues with that?

bubbaleenc

Owning the country roads.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EX-T Sedan '01 4Runner '18 Suburban
Country flag
Hate to stir the pot, but there's a bit of misinformation in here and I'd hate for it to cause undue fear. I have a Chemistry degree, have been working on cars for 2 decades and have seen firsthand how car engines are made AND how other engines are built (locomotive, aircraft, and boat to be specific). Mass-produced car and boat engines today are NOT made in the same way as unit built engines in locomotives and aircraft.

First, the initial 0W20 "break-in" oil in the new car has been previously demonstrated to have higher Mo content which aids in curing the virgin metal in the engine. You want to keep that oil in the car until either 1) the filter reaches the limit of the load of particles it can filter (including micro shavings of engine production - which are quite few due to engine production processes today) or 2) the oil reaches the point where the chemical makeup will begin to change (aka, "shear", "breakdown" and similar terms). Removing the oil early will not likely cause long-term problems for the engine, but it won't help either since both the oil and filter still have a long way to go before reaching the end of their respective lives. Leaving it in until the Oil Monitor says change is ideal since it gives the engine the maximum exposure to the heavy MO content.

Second, subsequent oil changes with 0W20, API-rated fluid will have the same 2 considerations as above, except that there isn't additional MO since it is chemically unnecessary after the first 7,500 miles or so (the metal surfaces are sufficiently cured by that time). Changing more frequently than the oil monitor recommends will not cause any long-term problems for the engine.

Chemical analysis by API and countless others show that 0W20 oil is rated for "extended service" which means it does not exhibit chemical makeup changes described above for at least 10,000 miles of heavy use. Quality-branded oil filters have also been proven by API and countless others to show that they do not reach 50% particulate saturation in an otherwise well-maintained engine for at least 10,000 miles (and premium filters go beyond 20,000 miles now).

In short, you can change your oil as often as you want or can afford. But picking 5,000 or 3,000 mile intervals is physically and chemically as arbitrary as picking 500 mile intervals to change your oil. Changing your oil after your monitor goes under 0% will certainly introduce problems to your engine's longevity. As demonstrated by Honda, the monitor is not simply a glorified odometer but an output based on several sensors in the engine that are used to mathematically predict the timing of oil chemical change. Since quality filters outlast oil by significant margins (2:1 or more), the calculation only takes projected oil life into consideration.

Personally, I change my oil when the monitor says 10% (which is actually between 5% and 10% life remaining). Why not 0%? Because I know how life goes - I'll get caught up with family and career and end up driving 2,000 miles (which can be in a single month at times) before realizing it.

Honda sells too many extended warranties with "lifetime" engine coverage to give people a dishonest "planned obsolescence" number forcing one to buy a new car in 5 years. Not to mention the wretched PR and hit to brand loyalty and reputation such foolishness would create.

So change your oil at 500 mile intervals. Or at 0-5% life remaining on the monitor. Enjoy the drive either way! :)
Sponsored