First Oil Change

sdg7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
I may be mis-understanding what you're saying, but it sounds like you're looking at a screen that says "50% A1" all on the same thing? If so what you're seeing is the maintenance minder telling you that you are 50% of the way to needing an A1 service. Not that you need to do an A1 service right now.
I see what youre saying. Just for clarification, I attached a picture of the minder. The A 1 at the bottom is new

Honda Civic 10th gen First Oil Change 20160924_141533
Sponsored

logan

New Civic Blood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda CIVIC EX-T
My oil life is currently at 10%. It just turned. I think i'm like about 6.7k miles. I took it to the dealer and he said honda recommends it to change at 5% because it's the first break in oil. I just drove 1 hour to them and now not sure if I want to come back when it drops down that low and what if I don't have time. Should I just get it changed right now? Please answer quick if you can, i think they are closing soon.

PS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
My oil life is currently at 10%. It just turned. I think i'm like about 6.7k miles. I took it to the dealer and he said honda recommends it to change at 5% because it's the first break in oil. I just drove 1 hour to them and now not sure if I want to come back when it drops down that low and what if I don't have time. Should I just get it changed right now? Please answer quick if you can, i think they are closing soon.
Do it now - won't hurt a thing. Most dealerships change it at 15%.

Hassan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic exl 2016
I had my first oil change today. Oil life was 20% and 4436 miles but the oil was terrible dirty. Guys don't trust that percentage.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I had my first oil change today. Oil life was 20% and 4436 miles but the oil was terrible dirty. Guys don't trust that percentage.
I'd trust that percentage before I'd trust what the oil "looks like".

Mistahoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 GS350, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Accord Touring
I'd trust that percentage before I'd trust what the oil "looks like".
Percentage displayed on the car is set based on mileage that gives you a numerical visual to remind you to change your oil. Based on your driving conditions and how you drive your car could cause your oil to look differently. Obviously worse driving conditions and harsh driving will yield you, what "looks like", dirtier oil which in that case you'd want to change that oil sooner than the percentage shown. Visual of your oil > visual of a number. With that being said, it's much more convenient to look at the percentage than to pop open the hood and pull the dipstick to see how dirty or low your oil is. I'd much rather go by visual of what the oil looks like to gauge oil changes as I would want the cleanest oil going into the car, but being that I'm lazy, I'm gonna go by the percentage.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Percentage displayed on the car is set based on mileage that gives you a numerical visual to remind you to change your oil.
It's abundantly clear from what Honda documents, and from user reports, that the MM is based on an awful lot more than mileage. If looking at the oil proved anything, then somebody would have invented an optical sensor to use in place of the algorithms behind all the different maintenance minder style technologies shipped by various manufacturers. I've never heard of any of them being optically sensed.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's abundantly clear from what Honda documents, and from user reports, that the MM is based on an awful lot more than mileage. If looking at the oil proved anything, then somebody would have invented an optical sensor to use in place of the algorithms behind all the different maintenance minder style technologies shipped by various manufacturers. I've never heard of any of them being optically sensed.
I have to agree, I'm at 7068 miles and only down to 40% on the oil life. At least 85% has been highway. The oil is just now starting to turn a dark brown and it has not used a drop.

pwschuh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6-speed
Country flag
Your immediate response to the dealer should have been "Thanks for the lecture, now be a dear and change the oil like I asked you to."

Civic_Honey627

Can't hide from the cops in this one!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L Coupe Energy Green!!!
Country flag
I'm ready for my first oil change, just wanted to know if $80 is typical for an A1 oil change????

Civic_Honey627

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Full synthetic or no? Mine were $45 after tax but I brought my own oil.
Ummmm....I don't know the difference between synthetic oil or whatever the opposite is lol. I'm trying to actually be proactive in taking care of this car but I'm clueless on this.
Why did you bring your own oil? What does it do?

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ummmm....I don't know the difference between synthetic oil or whatever the opposite is lol. I'm trying to actually be proactive in taking care of this car but I'm clueless on this.
Why did you bring your own oil? What does it do?
I just bought it online from Amazon cheaper, theyou had a rebate making it $10 for 5 quarts (we only need 3.7 tho). Dealer would have charged $60 for the oil change alone if I didn't bring my own stuff.

Either synthetic blend or full synthetic. Full will protect the engine a little more and is recommended by Honda and is better for the turbo.

Civic_Honey627

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just bought it online from Amazon cheaper, theyou had a rebate making it $10 for 5 quarts (we only need 3.7 tho). Dealer would have charged $60 for the oil change alone if I didn't bring my own stuff.

Either synthetic blend or full synthetic. Full will protect the engine a little more and is recommended by Honda and is better for the turbo.
Awesome, thanks!!! :D:):drive:

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I would never go more than 6000 miles without changing my oil and I would NEVER change my oil without changing the filter. To do either of those things is just plain stupid. I don't care what the maintenance minder says. I changed my oil myself today for 35 dollars. Used Mobile 1 extended service 0W20. Got the filter and washer from my Honda dealer. My car had 4500 miles on it and the MM said 30%.
Sponsored