Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I went by Walmart to use the john making sure I don't get eye to eye with these john Q public, get it. wink,wink, nod nod and high-tail scampered over to the oil section to see what offering of 0w-20s they had for the Civic. Granted, I have 3 free oil changes and they will most likely use the semi-synthetics. Anyone else balking and have no notion to use the free oil changes that use the semi-syn and tip your cap to a proper fully synthetics? Even if I have to pay out of pocket for the Honda full syn or even the toyota 0w-20. These oil changes use the semi or synthetic blend right? And not the fully synthetic 0w-20? Wasn't there some news that Honda was ridding itself of the full syn and now they only use the semi-syn? The Wall world selections were decent.. I didn't see any of the heavy hitter 0w-20s especially the Pennzoil Ultra 0w-20 or even Quaker State 0w-20 but had plenty in the 5w-30 and 10w-30s. Looking for high psi oil, if you know what I mean, wink wink nod nod. I scurried out of WM with the quickness buying nothing.
Not sure about high PSI, But once this first oil is done I look forward to refilling it with 0W-20 Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil since that way I do not need to worry about oil changes for at least a year with my driving habits it seems.
Sponsored

Mattman1206

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring
I went by Walmart to use the john making sure I don't get eye to eye with these john Q public, get it. wink,wink, nod nod and high-tail scampered over to the oil section to see what offering of 0w-20s they had for the Civic. Granted, I have 3 free oil changes and they will most likely use the semi-synthetics. Anyone else balking and have no notion to use the free oil changes that use the semi-syn and tip your cap to a proper fully synthetics? Even if I have to pay out of pocket for the Honda full syn or even the toyota 0w-20. These oil changes use the semi or synthetic blend right? And not the fully synthetic 0w-20? Wasn't there some news that Honda was ridding itself of the full syn and now they only use the semi-syn? The Wall world selections were decent.. I didn't see any of the heavy hitter 0w-20s especially the Pennzoil Ultra 0w-20 or even Quaker State 0w-20 but had plenty in the 5w-30 and 10w-30s. Looking for high psi oil, if you know what I mean, wink wink nod nod. I scurried out of WM with the quickness buying nothing.
I bought Penzoil full synthetic at Wal-Mart. Five quarts for about $26.

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
I recently bought a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 0W-20 Full Synthetic at Walmart for $23 with a $12 rebate.

Some Walmarts have a bigger oil selection than others. My local one has at least five different options for 0W-20.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Are you guys sure your dealerships aren't using full synthetic? Have you asked, or looked up the part number?

arhncmh

It's not my fault, really.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Sedan CVT
Country flag
Free or not, it doesn't matter to me. I always planned on doing my own oil change. Heat of summer, dead of winter, my ass is crawling under my cars and getting it done. Maybe I have trust issues. Maybe I really like the work. Maybe it's just how I'm wired.

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Civic was washed away in Houston Harvey maelstrom
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
Free or not, it doesn't matter to me. I always planned on doing my own oil change. Heat of summer, dead of winter, my ass is crawling under my cars and getting it done. Maybe I have trust issues. Maybe I really like the work. Maybe it's just how I'm wired.
^same 110% mindset. this car is too special and i do a decent job of making scuffs already, I don't need any more help, don't want it anymore. Your trust issue have been validated by tons of evidence that car gets driven hard and even abused by techs who call it joyriding, at these service departments.

arhncmh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Sedan CVT
Country flag
^same 110% mindset. this car is too special and i do a decent job of making scuffs already, I don't need any more help, don't want it anymore. Your trust issue have been validated by tons of evidence that car gets driven hard and even abused by techs who call it joyriding, at these service departments.
My paranoia is more centered on someone f'ing around with my sh!t under there than joyriding, which I never even considered. Now you've gone and made it worse for me...er...them.

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
My paranoia is more centered on someone f'ing around with my sh!t under there than joyriding, which I never even considered. Now you've gone and made it worse for me...er...them.
make sure you record your mileage before you go for service, free or paid, at any service department. also, record your ODO and gas level on your phone so you have a visual as well in case the tech tries to joy ride your car. I refused to fill out my survey for the sales guy on my sales experience because it was either my salesman and the tint guy or both who joyrided my car and I found out cause the gas needle went down and I'm not happy about it. Don't even need to go back to these idiots for free oil changes, would rather pay extra or in this case, no extra charge to go to a nearby dealer and bring my own damn elite oil. (gotta find out if each dealer is using Honda full syn or the weaker syn blend) I trust oil out of quart bottles that I can see being poured in and not bulk oil where you have no clue if the oil was even changed. Also, the honda filters suck compared to a Fram Ultra.

arhncmh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Sedan CVT
Country flag
My solution? Never go back to the dealer for anything except parts I'm going to install myself. If I do (here's hoping my record stays clean), I'll be sure to follow your recommendations.

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
My solution? Never go back to the dealer for anything except parts I'm going to install myself. If I do (here's hoping my record stays clean), I'll be sure to follow your recommendations.
Now, I'm thinking of cancelling the free oil changes at my original dealer and cut my liabilities on the free oil changes for joyriding my vehicle. I might go to a nearby stealer or closer dealer but they can forget about joyriding my car, unprofessional idiots. Not happy about this situation but overall loved my dealers inventory abundance and willingness to sell LX Hatch with Honda Sensing in a decent color in PMM without price gauging me so it was worth it overall even if they joyrided it cause the price was fabulous. They even let me keep my old car on their lot for a few weeks and I picked up the 500 cash I needed on the same day my plates came in. My salesman was surprised the plates came in cause he probably abuses everyones car and was probably disappointed I wasn't gonna make an extra trip. kidding but my paranoia corroborated, substantiated and is justified.

Last edited:

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
I had 3yrs of free oil changes with the car (2per year) but buying my oil and doing it myself. Doesn't hurt much to spend 50$ and make it right. Just my 2.5cents
Ummm...I think you mean "Just my $200+tax"! ;) :)

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
me too. I took my car in for service once and immediately regretted it. They looked at my MT. I said the shifting was notchy. When I got it back the shifting was the same. I don't think they know what they're doing. And now I have no idea what they did. They drained the trans and refilled it. Wish I never let them touch it.

Mattman1206

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring
If the "free" oil changes are like mine, they aren't free anyway. They were part of a "protection package" that definitely wasn't free. It came with the all-weather floor mats, mud guards, and the oil changes.

arhncmh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Sedan CVT
Country flag
F
me too. I took my car in for service once and immediately regretted it. They looked at my MT. I said the shifting was notchy. When I got it back the shifting was the same. I don't think they know what they're doing. And now I have no idea what they did. They drained the trans and refilled it. Wish I never let them touch it.
FWIW, I had a similar issue on my 8th Gen LX Sedan. It was really difficult to get it into 1st when it was cold out. The dealer said they fixed it (under Warranty), but TBH it was the same afterward. Complaining to them is like yelling at a wall. I had better results refilling the trans with Redline MTF.

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
I had 3yrs of free oil changes with the car (2per year) but buying my oil and doing it myself. Doesn't hurt much to spend 50$ and make it right. Just my 2.5cents
Yeah, I concur wholeheartedly, I too would bring my SOPUS or Pennzoil product in and finally, the mighty and venerable Quaker State 10w-30. The challenge now is finding it in 0w-20. Don't need the cleaning abiities of a Pennzoil Ultra, I don't think anyway, on a brand new car. I still think the Honda Motorcraft is decent but not for a 7k OCI, maybe 5k. Being as we or I am on the factory fill, I am going to let it go to fruition and it is going to be 7k+. I could easily go 12k on the Quaker state 10w-30 or Pennzoil full synthetic version, be it the Ultra or the Platinum (like I said, I don't think I need the cleaning prowess of these just yet) This is why I am so high on the Quaker State for these 7k OCIs cause it is a performer 1st and a cleaner second which is what a brand new car yearns for really. Another thing is the Fuel Dilution, in which case a 5w-30 might suffice but would it be too thick being that it calls for 0w-20.
Sponsored