First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback LX CVT
Country flag
Hey guys,

I finally changed my oil for the first time on my 2019 Civic LX Hatch. Got the car in spring 2019. The MM was at 15 % oil life, and at around 7600 KM. This was the original factory oil in the car and came out pretty black. Was an easy oil change and I like how they redesigned the protection cover with easier twist bolts. I also like the marker markings on the drain plug for tightness.

I put in 3.5 liters of Amsoil 0-20 synthetic and new FRAM synthetic filter. So far good levels and no gas smell.

I think for future oil changes I will just drain the oil and put 3.2 liters in and leave the filter as the filter is rated for 24,000 km? Good idea? Anyone do this or do you change the filter every time? I also have a mobil 1 filter extended drain as my next one.

Anyways impressed with the car, my last fuel tank got about 6 liters per 100/km fuel economy over almost 700 km.
Sponsored

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As you noticed, the 1.5T really makes the oil black. I’ve never had a car that has done this before, but this is also my first turbo.
I wouldn’t use the marks on the drain plug indicate proper torque.
My WAG is that the marks are to indicate that the bolt was tightened to spec during engine assembly.
Use a torque wrench to tighten to 25 ft/lb.
Also , just use a new filter for each oil change. The cost is really negligible.
For fuel economy, I’m at 6L/100km lifetime on trip counter A, which I’ve never reset since I bought the vehicle.
These cars are amazing on gas.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Also using Amsoil but OW-30, always have since 2002.

As for the oil filter, change it. I think it's more important than the oil itself. IDK $15 is nothing.

Edit. 700km?!? I gotta stop ripping her up. jk The most I got was over 500km and I use Premium too.

You gotta pay to play.

Last edited:

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I will not leave old filter with new oil change. It is full of dirt and may contaminate you new oil.

bembol il right.

IMO long life oil filter or oil is marketing if not " bullxxxt"

Pope

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Always use a new crush washer on the drain plug as well.

OP
OP
bumbobee

bumbobee

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Always use a new crush washer on the drain plug as well.
Where can I buy new crush washers? Only Honda or does anyone know the size here and I can get at home depot?

OP
OP
bumbobee

bumbobee

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Also using Amsoil but OW-30, always have since 2002.

As for the oil filter, change it. I think it's more important than the oil itself. IDK $15 is nothing.

Edit. 700km?!? I gotta stop ripping her up. jk The most I got was over 500km and I use Premium too.

You gotta pay to play.
Haha yea I drive conservatively but I did rip it once in a while just to blow through the system :) Got a 2018 BMW R 1200 GS motorcycle for real ripping ;)

Going to try 0-30 as well, I got a 0-30 penzoil ultra platinum oil on special at Canadian Tire for like $ 17 for 5 liters. I saw many threads here with people using 0-30 and good results.

OP
OP
bumbobee

bumbobee

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I will not leave old filter with new oil change. It is full of dirt and may contaminate you new oil.

bembol il right.

That's true didn't think of all the garbage in the filter, will change with regular ones. I still have all these extended interval synthetic media ones I got on special from my old 2014 civic.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Where can I buy new crush washers? Only Honda or does anyone know the size here and I can get at home depot?
I ask Honda parts if I could get a discount if I bought like 5 oil filters. He agreed and threw in the crush washers. BTW, 10% off.

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
Hey guys,

I finally changed my oil for the first time on my 2019 Civic LX Hatch. Got the car in spring 2019. The MM was at 15 % oil life, and at around 7600 KM. This was the original factory oil in the car and came out pretty black. Was an easy oil change and I like how they redesigned the protection cover with easier twist bolts. I also like the marker markings on the drain plug for tightness.

I put in 3.5 liters of Amsoil 0-20 synthetic and new FRAM synthetic filter. So far good levels and no gas smell.

I think for future oil changes I will just drain the oil and put 3.2 liters in and leave the filter as the filter is rated for 24,000 km? Good idea? Anyone do this or do you change the filter every time? I also have a mobil 1 filter extended drain as my next one.

Anyways impressed with the car, my last fuel tank got about 6 liters per 100/km fuel economy over almost 700 km.
I leave the filter. It is perfectly serviceable well past one oil change. Nothing wrong with changing it every time, but it is a waste of money. If it needed to be changed, Honda would recommend changing it.

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
What makes you think the filter is beyond capacity at one oil change interval? Do you have any data showing that to be the case? Used oil analysis after the second change showing a bunch of contamination?

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag

bembol il right.

Actually, it's the opposite. "Short life" cheaper filters advertised as only good for 3 or 5 or 7 kmiles is pure marketing bullshit. There is no such oil filter that would only be good for several thousand miles in a modern car gas engine. An engine producing that much junk in the filter would be a piece of junk itself.
I myself change my oil filter everytime, but I do realize it's irrational and is only motivated by "perfectionism". Like draining the oil to the last drop, which I do, just to be immaculate. Pure waste of time.

Btw., the washers also can be reused several times with no risk. But I also replace them every time irrationally, just to be perfect. Still, I saved the used ones and would not hesitate a second to reuse them if I ever run out of new ones. I used to use the same washer for the life of a car.....

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Auto parts stores may sell those washer. Home Depot may not have washer for a car, Il will not use what they sell.

I have few crush washer from Honda ;As pope post; 14 mm inside diameter and 22 mm outside diameter. I use torque wrench.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Actually, it's the opposite. "Short life" cheaper filters advertised as only good for 3 or 5 or 7 kmiles is pure marketing bullshit. There is no such oil filter that would only be good for several thousand miles in a modern car gas engine. An engine producing that much junk in the filter would be a piece of junk itself.
I myself change my oil filter everytime, but I do realize it's irrational and is only motivated by "perfectionism". Like draining the oil to the last drop, which I do, just to be immaculate. Pure waste of time.

Btw., the washers also can be reused several times with no risk. But I also replace them every time irrationally, just to be perfect. Still, I saved the used ones and would not hesitate a second to reuse them if I ever run out of new ones. I used to use the same washer for the life of a car.....

I never see or read filter advertised for 3 to 7K miles.
You may be right, crush washer may be good for several oil change, I don't know. For $0.36 new one cost nothing.

Oil change is so cheap if done by yourself, I do more often than less.
After all, Oil is the blood of the engine.
Sponsored