First new car in 13 years - I feel like Rip Van Winkle

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX Sedan, 2006 Element AWD
Country flag
My last new car was a 2006 Element (which I still own). My new Civic LX sedan is my first new car since then.

The Element has a CD player, Sirius/XM radio, subwoofer, aux/MP3 jack and rudimentary controls on the steering wheel. That's it.

My wife and I don't have kids and we have shared the Element since it was new. I work at home, thus no commute, and I literally have not driven any other car made since 2006 except for perhaps a minute or two in a rental or a family member's car in the driveway (well, my rich brother-in-law let me drive his Porsche Carrera for few miles about 7 years ago).

Thus, I truly have had no concept of the changes in the driving experience in cars since 2006.

This morning I got in the car to go to the gym and the radio synced with my phone without having to plug anything in or even take the phone out of my backpack. The song on iTunes picked up right where it left off yesterday. After my workout, the same thing. On the drive home, I listened to local radio for a few minutes, then switched back to iTunes. Again, it picked up where I left off.

I realize everybody else on this board has been doing this for years - at least since Bluetooth became common early in this decade. And I see why people get their shorts in a knot when the Bluetooth connection craps out because of a software update. It's all just supposed to just work like this.

It struck me that this must be pretty novel experience, so I thought it might be worth mentioning here.
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Technology is a wonderful thing, most of the time. :)

Yanagapa

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic LX
Country flag
My last new car was a 2006 Element (which I still own). My new Civic LX sedan is my first new car since then.

The Element has a CD player, Sirius/XM radio, subwoofer, aux/MP3 jack and rudimentary controls on the steering wheel. That's it.

My wife and I don't have kids and we have shared the Element since it was new. I work at home, thus no commute, and I literally have not driven any other car made since 2006 except for perhaps a minute or two in a rental or a family member's car in the driveway (well, my rich brother-in-law let me drive his Porsche Carrera for few miles about 7 years ago).

Thus, I truly have had no concept of the changes in the driving experience in cars since 2006.

This morning I got in the car to go to the gym and the radio synced with my phone without having to plug anything in or even take the phone out of my backpack. The song on iTunes picked up right where it left off yesterday. After my workout, the same thing. On the drive home, I listened to local radio for a few minutes, then switched back to iTunes. Again, it picked up where I left off.

I realize everybody else on this board has been doing this for years - at least since Bluetooth became common early in this decade. And I see why people get their shorts in a knot when the Bluetooth connection craps out because of a software update. It's all just supposed to just work like this.

It struck me that this must be pretty novel experience, so I thought it might be worth mentioning here.
Iā€™m pretty much in the same boat. Had a ā€˜07 G6 from new, and just jumped into a ā€˜19 LX sedan. Exciting times. LoL

Driver56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI coupe
Country flag
Same here, my last car before my '18 SI was a base trim 2005 Toyota Matrix (Corolla hatchback). I installed an aftermarket radio, amp and sub right after purchase, so all that was from 2005 but it had an iPod cable so I used that for all my music needs. I had to pull over in an empty parking lot driving my Civic home because I couldn't figure out the climate control. A cop actually pulled up and asked if I was alright, lol. I don't think I could go back to a car without proximity keyless, though.

OP
OP
TomMangan2019lx
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX Sedan, 2006 Element AWD
Country flag
Yep. The first time my windshield fogged over I just about freaked!

Yesterday I was driving down out of the mountains and realized the automatic transmission will do engine braking automatically if you tap the brakes just right while going downhill. I was like "why is the tach at 3500" and that's when I realized the onboard computer had shifted into a lower gear to ease the strain on the brakes. This seems to work better when it's not in economy mode.

I bought mine in November and still have not used the air conditioning. I hope it works :)

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2017 GTI SE DSG
Country flag
Wait till you connect it to CarPlay or Android Auto. Youā€™ll fall over and die.:D

Honda Civic 10th gen First new car in 13 years - I feel like Rip Van Winkle A432DF8C-01AF-4101-B524-7698DF582E93

Honda Civic 10th gen First new car in 13 years - I feel like Rip Van Winkle E2C539B6-0CF9-4847-9B58-AF45987147F0

Yanagapa

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic LX
Country flag
Wait till you connect it to CarPlay or Android Auto. Youā€™ll fall over and die.:D

A432DF8C-01AF-4101-B524-7698DF582E93.png

E2C539B6-0CF9-4847-9B58-AF45987147F0.png
CarPlay was the feature that had me locked in on the civic. Although my wifeā€™s ā€˜18 Ford Escape does wireless CarPlay to perfection, Iā€™m learning to love wired CarPlay for the fast charge. And my Civic doesnā€™t have a CD player. Lmao. Thatā€™s ok. All my music is on Apple Music anyways. Making drive playlists like I do workout playlists.

Driver56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI coupe
Country flag
I actually just started with Android auto a few months ago, I was still using my iPod up until then. Once Apple said they were moving away from iTunes, and my iPod was over 10 years old, I decided to join the modern world with Spotify since I have an Android phone.

Homer2556

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Touring sedan (mine), '12 Ody Touring Elite (the wife's)
Country flag
I bought mine in November and still have not used the air conditioning. I hope it works :)
You must be up in the mountains. It was 74 in Charlotte yesterday. Had to turn the temp up because the vents were so cold
Sponsored