Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GTI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My 2 cents:
  1. Tint, summer will be here soon.
  2. Wheels and tires: I went with 17" Motegi MR131 Bronze. If I do it again, I would go 18". As for tires, Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 is highly rated for all season tire.
  3. Tune: Ktuner with Vit. It beats all OTS maps when it comes power and how smooth it is.
Sponsored

Moopy62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic sport hatchback
Country flag
2018 sport hatch 6 sport manual here
I invested $800 for a Ktuner with Vitune running the tune. Performance 1000 % better than factory tune. It's literally is night and day and makes the car a little beastie. My mpg hardly effected.
You asked about warranty and yes it can effected warranty but you need to understand the dealership by law cannot void warranty at their whim. the item needing repair must be related to the aftermarket upgrade (e.g.a tune cannot void their responsibility for a bad wind shield wiper motor). Couple words of caution though...if you have emissions to pass it prolly won't BUT it's very easy 10 minutes to use the iTunes to revert to factory ( or use the ECO button as a 2nd tune which Vitune provides at the end of the tune). Also you'll need to have him tune for the cvt-the transmission can't take the same level of torque as the manual. As far as 'm concerned the tune is so effective that I see no need for other performance mods.

After that better grippy tires after you new ones wear. As far as suspension I will tighten it up eventually.

Last edited:

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
What tires would you recommend?
It almost doesn't matter what I could recommend right now, because your preferences could easily change after race school. If you start track driving, you'll want different tires than if you decided to do autocrossing.

And if you were living farther north than Texas, I'd say to get performance summer tires plus a second wheelset with dedicated winter tires.

Me -- after my stock tires wear down, I'd like to get some BFG G-Force Comps (I think that's what they're called). I had Dunlop SP Sport Maxx on my previous car, which were good, but I think they're discontinued now. I've got Pirelli Sottozeros for my winter tires on 16" steelies.

UnMass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 1.5T 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've been pretty conservative with my build so far. Mods I did in chronological order:

-Clear side markers (best cheap mod for looks Imo)
-35% ceramic tint all around (wanted 20-25% but it's technically illegal where I live)
-plasti-dipped my badges black
-"civic" and "sport" badge delete
-painted calipers (I went purple)
-led headlights
-type r rear sway bar
-interior leds for map/dome lights

Feel free to check out my garage. Wheels and tires are high on my list for the next mod, but I'm in no rush since the stock tires are still good. I'm also looking into mud flaps and a vinyl pinstripe on the lip kit of my Hb sport. Something I figured I'd mention too is that if you do some digging, so far it seems intakes/exhausts don't add much of a gain, if any right now. Good luck with the modding and congrats on the new car!

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
I am about to graduate high school and for college I got a 2018 Civic Hatchback Sport. Several people I know are enthusiasts and I want to start getting into stuff like performance and what not. I’ve been working and I also plan on working a lot in the summer. My car is not a manual transmission and I’ve seen a lot of people say that cvt cars are hard to modify. I was just wondering if I should even bother and if so, what a good started mod would be? Thank you all!
Racing school is expensive, but I would go for track days. Cars come and go but skills will last you a lifetime (or until self-driving cars). I would get track insurance as well. If this is not possible then I would go for autocross. With a CVT, it might be prudent to stick with autocross since overheating might be an issue.

I wouldn't really go for tires. Tires are for your pride and competition. If you can suck it up and accept slow-ass times then don't rely on the tire-crutch. Cheaper tires are actually sometimes better to learn on.

ECU will void your warranty for just about everything in the powertrain, but everyone on this forum seems willing to commit warranty fraud instead.

I would highly recommend against any lowering springs. If you must change your suspension, I believe bilstein now makes the b14 coilover set for the 10th gen civic, which is like the only reputable manufacturer so far. Even then I would chose the max ride-height.

ParkwayDrive13

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen Ralley Red SI
Country flag
That's painted with a very broad stroke my friend. It is up to the dealers to provide proof that said modifications were the cause of the failure. Just because a modification/tune as an example, was done, doesn't mean that the Engine/Powertrain warranty is now 100% void.

It certainly won't help your cause having those, and you'll absolutely have to fight tooth and nail, but I just thought I'd provide some clarity. Plus, I've handled a few warranty claims where customers have won that argument. Of course, not in all cases, but some.

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
http://lehtoslaw.com/will-modifications-void-new-car-warranty/

Increasing power basically will give them a perfectly legal valid reason to deny coverage on almost anything in the drivetrain. Whether you can sneak it by and get it repaired is a different question, and whether you can successfully perform warranty fraud is also a different issue, but flashing your ecu gives them a perfectly valid and legal reason to not repair like almost anything in the drivetrain.

"proof" is not that difficult.

ParkwayDrive13

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen Ralley Red SI
Country flag
http://lehtoslaw.com/will-modifications-void-new-car-warranty/

Increasing power basically will give them a perfectly legal valid reason to deny coverage on almost anything in the drivetrain. Whether you can sneak it by and get it repaired is a different question, and whether you can successfully perform warranty fraud is also a different issue, but flashing your ecu gives them a perfectly valid and legal reason to not repair like almost anything in the drivetrain.

"proof" is not that difficult.

I don't disagree, I just more so disagree with your terminology on it being warranty fraud. If the dealer fails to provide the manufacture proof that the modifications causes the failure, then the manufacturer is required to perform the repair.

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
I don't disagree, I just more so disagree with your terminology on it being warranty fraud. If the dealer fails to provide the manufacture proof that the modifications causes the failure, then the manufacturer is required to perform the repair.
I mean reflashing to stock before taking it in. Pretty sure that's warranty fraud.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't really go for tires. Tires are for your pride and competition. If you can suck it up and accept slow-ass times then don't rely on the tire-crutch. Cheaper tires are actually sometimes better to learn on.
Everything you said there is just so wrong. "Tires are for your pride and competition". Huh? How about tires are for safety and improved ride quality and handing. OEM tires are generally garbage. Better tires are one of the best investments you can make. I hope people take your tire advice with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

ParkwayDrive13

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen Ralley Red SI
Country flag
That in and of itself is. But having a tune, doesnt void your warranty like you originally stated.

They will absolutely have ammo against you, though. And if you can prove, or the dealership can prove that it wasn' the cause, then your good. Even with said modifications.

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
Everything you said there is just so wrong. "Tires are for your pride and competition". Huh? How about tires are for safety and improved ride quality and handing. OEM tires are generally garbage. Better tires are one of the best investments you can make. I hope people take your tire advice with a grain of salt.
I was thinking more in track terms. People usually recommend tires because they are by far the best value in improving track times. But they are kind of pointless because track times are kind of pointless for amateur drivers. What you should focus on is driving skill.

In terms of street use, maybe it's because I don't have the Firestones, but the OEM tires seem perfectly reasonable for daily driving. They have enough stopping power, they have good hydroplane resistance, and I can't imagine when you would exceed the lateral traction except by overdriving

bluecivicgurl

First Name
Jai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LexusISF and 18HBST
Country flag
I've been pretty conservative with my build so far. Mods I did in chronological order:

-Clear side markers (best cheap mod for looks Imo)
-35% ceramic tint all around (wanted 20-25% but it's technically illegal where I live)
-plasti-dipped my badges black
-"civic" and "sport" badge delete
-painted calipers (I went purple)
-led headlights
-type r rear sway bar
-interior leds for map/dome lights

Feel free to check out my garage. Wheels and tires are high on my list for the next mod, but I'm in no rush since the stock tires are still good. I'm also looking into mud flaps and a vinyl pinstripe on the lip kit of my Hb sport. Something I figured I'd mention too is that if you do some digging, so far it seems intakes/exhausts don't add much of a gain, if any right now. Good luck with the modding and congrats on the new car!

Nice mods, let’s see a pic.
Where did you purchased your type r sway bar?
My dealer quoted me 300+ for this part but I heard I can find it cheaper.

UnMass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 1.5T 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nice mods, let’s see a pic.
Where did you purchased your type r sway bar?
My dealer quoted me 300+ for this part but I heard I can find it cheaper.
I bought my parts from g2parts.com. I paid about $92.00 USD taxes in for the type r sway bar and brackets. I live up in Canada, so I just had it shipped to the border to save like $100 shipping.

Side note: my local dealer also quoted me about $300 cad, and they didn't even have an estimated delivery date. G2parts had it shipped to me in about a week or two.

Honda Civic 10th gen First mods?? IMG_20170919_084121~2

bluecivicgurl

First Name
Jai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LexusISF and 18HBST
Country flag
I bought my parts from g2parts.com. I paid about $92.00 USD taxes in for the type r sway bar and brackets. I live up in Canada, so I just had it shipped to the border to save like $100 shipping.

Side note: my local dealer also quoted me about $300 cad, and they didn't even have an estimated delivery date. G2parts had it shipped to me in about a week or two.

IMG_20170919_084121~2.jpg
Thank you, yes I am going to order the rear part today. I need to upgrade this handling ASAP. I’m also thinking about getting the front sway bar as well. I am use to driving an AWD ISFsport and the handling was superb. Do you have any other suggestions on upgrades for the HB? I love the purple calipers
Sponsored

Last edited: