colestrahle33

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Hi, I'm super new to the civic community as I'm just using my parents car to save us money for insurance and everything, but they allowed me to mod it however I want. I've been talking to some of my friends but its hard to get a solid answer because we are all generally new. I currently have a 2017 sport touring hatch. I'm not sure which modification I should do first though. I am deciding between either a cold air intake or a ktuner, most likely V1.2 as its much cheaper. I'm not sure if I need a tune if I get an intake first, so that's why I was considering a ktuner first. Also, I'm not really pushing for the highest horsepower I'm mostly gonna go for the cheaper but still reputable things.

*Mileage & years has already surpassed warranty limit
Sponsored

Last edited:

haltamer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 (UK / RHD!)
Country flag
Without trying to sound condescending, if it's your parents' car I'd be careful what you do in terms of tuning:- I expect they'd still like it to function reliably, and handle safely / comfortably if they're planning on using it!

I'd suggest starting with the CAI in that regard. Sounds good, doesn't particularly impinge on reliability / drivability - Doesn't need any tuning either.

Other than that, It depends what road you want to go down - cosmetic / performance / handling / exterior mods?

OP
OP
colestrahle33

colestrahle33

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Without trying to sound condescending, if it's your parents' car I'd be careful what you do in terms of tuning:- I expect they'd still like it to function reliably, and handle safely / comfortably if they're planning on using it!

I'd suggest starting with the CAI in that regard. Sounds good, doesn't particularly impinge on reliability / drivability - Doesn't need any tuning either.

Other than that, It depends what road you want to go down - cosmetic / performance / handling / exterior mods?
It's their car but we've talked it over and it's basically mine for multiple years. I've talked to them about what I was thinking about doing to it and they are completely fine with anything I want to do as long as I pay for it. If I were to get an intake, say K&N, would I need a tune for it to be functioning properly or can it be left without any tune?

OP
OP
colestrahle33

colestrahle33

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Tbh, if it's your parents car I'd leave it alone... If anything wrong were to happen, while I hope it doesn't, your warranty might come into question.
I've talked it over with them multiple times and explained what I would be adding and my dad actually encourages me to do it as well, so that shouldn't be any problem with them.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
Oem Asia Clear corners. don’t start with something a couple hundred dollars. Start with something under $100.

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
your parents car is still under warranty...if you flash the ECU and something happen with the engine (which can very likely happen) then you'll be in trouble...

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag
The safest bang for your buck "mod" is to save up and purchase your own car when you're financially ready. I will never modify my parents cars for warranty purposes. If you want to make your parents car look "cool" so you can take it for the weekend to impress your friends then I would get rid of the fishbowl, smoke or clear side markers, chrome delete, and dealer delete.

I wouldn't get an intake without consulting with your parents first. It's an easy mod, kind of pricey but you don't want your parents driving one day adding gas and be like "wtf is that noise" and start to panic

Kotaas

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you’re looking for power ktuner. You don’t need to tune your car if you get an intake unless specified (For example: PRL Cobra intake Race) but imo if you can ge the extra money for the v2 it’s worth it having the little screen is the best bang for your buck imo

OhMyItsKev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've talked it over with them multiple times and explained what I would be adding and my dad actually encourages me to do it as well, so that shouldn't be any problem with them.
Well if that's the case, there are a ton of options that you can do. The mod that will make the most amount of difference is a tune. I pretty much have the same car that you do, same trim, same year.

Here's a list of mods that I've done. Idk what color your Civic is but if you're curious as to how some mods looks like you can check out my profile.

KTuner V2
PRL Cobra CAI
J's Racing Style Front Grill
Suma Performance Side Markers
Suma Performance Side Mirrors
JDM Access Front and Rear H Emblem
Morimoto XB LED Fog Lights
2020 OEM Rear Diffuser
Caruse Design Aero Lip
Gloss Black Roof Wrap

ATX_Si

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe (gone). 2018 Accord EX-L 1.5t (gone) 2020 Audi Q3 S-Line. 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
Country flag
as awesome as the tunes make these cars I wouldn't bother right now. do your bolt ons and cosmetic upgrades until you reach a point where the car is out of warranty/you actually buy it or take it over from your parents. quick question, is it a CVT or MT?

Knappy17

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan Red
Country flag
I wouldn't go with a tune. Keep the car fun without going overboard and rewriting the code that makes the car work. If you want a bigger/more expensive project, do the CAI. don't do a K&N as there are much much better options available such as the PRL Cobra and 27Won. Cheaper but also fun things to consider are cosmetic mods, carbon fiber vinyl, different color side markers(a must need in my eyes). Rear sway bars are also a fun mod to the 10th gen.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
If it’s your parents car and they’ve given you consent on what parts you can install, then go ahead. Make sure that you just don’t go over the top and make sure it’s still okay with them when they drive it.

A simple drop-in filter and some headlight bulb upgrade (if halogen) with interior LED bulbs will be fine.
Sponsored