First look at turbo 2.0L for next Type R (and presumably Si)

Phosky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Civic DX
Country flag
Just eyeballing that pic, it appears as if they're employing an electric wastegate actuator. Curious though, this pic seems to be missing the turbo coolant lines from other shots, though they may have simply omitted them for the sake of aesthetics. I think I see an integrated blow-off valve too, right on the compressor housing. Whatever they're doing though, all reports claim that there's nearly zero turbo lag and feels like a variable nozzle (VNT) unit, but without the added complexity.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Ooh nice shot!
Some things I notice-
1. Oil filter at a strange point - all the way under the AC compressor. Should make for easier access, but isn't exactly the safest location if you ask me-
2. Integrated oil cooler - for transmission? I can't tell where the lines go but it looks to me like they're going to the transmission. Interesting!
3. Electronic power steering!
4. Looks like the downpipe and turbo flange are one piece...definitely possible to do a nice cat-delete (probably pick up 25+ hp!) but I don't see a way to make the wastegate external. I don't know that I'd want to anyway, just saying.
5. I see the integrated BOV. Looks like it's dumping charge gas just in front of the compressor inlet. I see the MAF in the 2nd pic so I guess an external BOV dump will require a little bit of tuning or trickery.

Exciting times!

Grambles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Civic Si
It is. Sans some actual components that are more vehicle specific and tuning. Same part numbers.

Cooling lines are removed. Most OEM turbos have to have forced cooling to satisfy the supplier needs. Think of it like a performance assurance.

If anyone is familiar with the EA888 TSI engine from VW they will see a lot of the similar foundation.

Atmospheric BOV is a waste of efficiency, which is why it is considered a diverted valve that equalizes the pressure difference off throttle. Usually a spacer off the compressor housing will satisfy most tuners, but it sounds like a bus sometimes.

I'm more interested about the PCV system. I've seen the engine up close and taken apart and it's quite interesting with baffling and separation unlike the old VW engine I'm familiar with. Hopefully it doesn't have near the carbon deposits during the life of the vehicle.

As always VTC and Exhaust VTEC are welcomed. This will be a tuners dream!

There's an external cooling for either trams or oil to the right lower portion of the engine. Interesting.

haztorks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 MSM EX-T
There's an external cooling for either trams or oil to the right lower portion of the engine. Interesting.
I'm out of my league here, but is it possible that this is part of a wet sump system?

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Atmospheric BOV is a waste of efficiency, which is why it is considered a diverted valve that equalizes the pressure difference off throttle. Usually a spacer off the compressor housing will satisfy most tuners, but it sounds like a bus sometimes.
I know but they're MadJDMCool SuperTyteYo!!! Hahaha!!!!

Seriously though if it sounds as nice as some of the ST's I hear running around here, I'll be good with that. You can hear the BOV vent back to the suction side of the turbo but it doesn't whistle like a HKS SS-BOV or RFL or anything like that. Sounds great! I wonder how it will be cat-less!

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic Si HFP, 2017 Golf R
Ooh nice shot!
Some things I notice-
1. Oil filter at a strange point - all the way under the AC compressor. Should make for easier access, but isn't exactly the safest location if you ask me-
2. Integrated oil cooler - for transmission? I can't tell where the lines go but it looks to me like they're going to the transmission. Interesting!
3. Electronic power steering!
4. Looks like the downpipe and turbo flange are one piece...definitely possible to do a nice cat-delete (probably pick up 25+ hp!) but I don't see a way to make the wastegate external. I don't know that I'd want to anyway, just saying.
5. I see the integrated BOV. Looks like it's dumping charge gas just in front of the compressor inlet. I see the MAF in the 2nd pic so I guess an external BOV dump will require a little bit of tuning or trickery.

Exciting times!
I am wondering why they did not switch the compressor and turbine positions so the intake piping does not need to run right above the turbine lol. A Cold air intake on this car might not do much....

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I am wondering why they did not switch the compressor and turbine positions so the intake piping does not need to run right above the turbine lol. A Cold air intake on this car might not do much....
I don't think CAI's on turbo cars generally do as much anyway. Once the air is compressed it heats up much more anyway. The temperature of the compressed air is about the same if the CAI only makes the intake air 20degF cooler... now if you can make it maybe 60 deg cooler then we're talking, but otherwise the true gains tend to be more from improved flow (at the cost of increased noise) more than the colder intake temps.
This is different in NA cars. In NA cars, the colder air isn't being heated by compression so it does do better to resist detonation. One problem - higher flowing intakes tend to have slightly more laminar flow which is NOT good for fuel evaporation- another reason a tuned car will use slightly more fuel.
I'm no expert by any means - I only took 1 class in Internal Combustion Engines and a good portion of that was spent calculating displacements and thermal efficiency in turbines or in closed systems, not necessarily how to get MAX POWER from our traditional 4 cycle engines.
Sponsored