Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Here's your first look at the actual 2017 Civic Type R 5-door hatchback prototype! We caught this while it was making its testing laps on the Nurburgring. This confirms that until now, we have previously been looking at chassis testing mules. But, this time around the prototype clearly shows a production-bound body.

This 5-door Type R showcases a massive rear wing, rear tailgate glass reminiscent of the European Civic 5-door, aggressive front bumper with additional cooling, Brembo brakes and center mounted triple exhaust. Like the 2015 Type R, the front quarter fender panel features outlet vents above the wheels to assist in channeling out hot air from the engine bay and assist in cooling.

The Civic Type R based on the 10th gen Civic hatchback will be powered by the same power plant as the current Type R, a 2.0L turbo 4 which currently outputs 306 HP.

This prototype also gives us a first preview at what the 10th gen hatchback will look like, minus all the Type R bits, of course.

Honda Civic 10th gen First look at 2017 Civic Type R Hatchback Prototype! Spy pics 5D2_7467
Honda Civic 10th gen First look at 2017 Civic Type R Hatchback Prototype! Spy pics 5D2_7471
Honda Civic 10th gen First look at 2017 Civic Type R Hatchback Prototype! Spy pics 5D2_7475
Honda Civic 10th gen First look at 2017 Civic Type R Hatchback Prototype! Spy pics 5D2_7477
Honda Civic 10th gen First look at 2017 Civic Type R Hatchback Prototype! Spy pics 5D2_7479
Honda Civic 10th gen First look at 2017 Civic Type R Hatchback Prototype! Spy pics 5D2_7483
Honda Civic 10th gen First look at 2017 Civic Type R Hatchback Prototype! Spy pics 5D2_7487
Honda Civic 10th gen First look at 2017 Civic Type R Hatchback Prototype! Spy pics 5D2_7491
Honda Civic 10th gen First look at 2017 Civic Type R Hatchback Prototype! Spy pics 5D2_7497
Honda Civic 10th gen First look at 2017 Civic Type R Hatchback Prototype! Spy pics 5D2_7500
Honda Civic 10th gen First look at 2017 Civic Type R Hatchback Prototype! Spy pics 5D2_7501
Honda Civic 10th gen First look at 2017 Civic Type R Hatchback Prototype! Spy pics 5D2_7502
Honda Civic 10th gen First look at 2017 Civic Type R Hatchback Prototype! Spy pics 5D2_7504
Honda Civic 10th gen First look at 2017 Civic Type R Hatchback Prototype! Spy pics 5D2_7506
Honda Civic 10th gen First look at 2017 Civic Type R Hatchback Prototype! Spy pics 5D2_7508

G26okie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
Wow great pics. Definitely a production body. Has the 2016 civic grill, and non-led projector headlights plus the same body lines as the 2016 sedan (except for the rear of course). So this might be a clear picture of what the hatch back in the U.S. is going to look like when it debuts before the type R. Also very surprised they kept the triple exhaust from the test mule.

AndreaCristiano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT RS
it better bring some beef as the focus RS has just dropped the hammer

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBR600RR
^That's exactly what I was thinking. Maybe Honda staged this in response to the Focus RS power numbers that just came out yesterday. To remind us all who will still be king at the ring :)

AndreaCristiano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT RS
^That's exactly what I was thinking. Maybe Honda staged this in response to the Focus RS power numbers that just came out yesterday. To remind us all who will still be king at the ring :)
I honestly do not see that happening can't see anyone dethroning the RS

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This will be the reason honda doesn't go AWD for the Type R... to keep it in a different league from the RS... so that they can still claim fastest FWD around the 'ring.

On a side note.... styling looks good, looks like honda is sticking with the split rear window design seen on the current hatch. Under all that camo i'm a bid disappointed to see that yet again it looks like they just glued on all the extra sporty bits which i think is what makes the current car look a bit boy racer... but obviously that could change before the production model lands... was just hoping for a more integrated sporty look.

Surprised they kept the triple exhaust, at least the pipes look slightly closer in size than the ones on the test mules did. Doesn't look as odd.

Kind of surprised it doesn't get the LED headlights (unless they're an option)... considering this is a 30k civic, i'd expect certain features for that amount of money. Again, things can/will change before production version.

Overall looks pretty good. A bit bummed looks like the tail lights are copy paste from the sedan instead of being full width like on the coupe.

AndreaCristiano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT RS
It could just be that this prototype doesn't have the led but I would venture that the actual type r will

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBR600RR
In terms of what? power/specs? ring times? do we even know what kind of times the Focus RS is capable of? No doubt it will be a monster on the track but I wouldn't count the Type R out just yet.

hothatchi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf Mark5
Very aggressive! Can someone photoshop out the Type R parts so we can have a better look at what the standard hatchback will look like? I know, first time ever someone has asked for a decontented rendering :D

Bubb2521

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 135i, TT RS
I like it. Are we thinking this will come out late 2016 as a '17, or come out in 2017 as an '18? I'm getting mixed singles.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I like it. Are we thinking this will come out late 2016 as a '17, or come out in 2017 as an '18? I'm getting mixed singles.
Best guess on what we've heard, it'll debut at the end of 2016... possibly start production and sales early 2017... so it could be badged as a 17 model... That's assuming europe is only going to run the refreshed 9th gen hatch for 1 year.

H_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Si
Surprised they kept the triple exhaust, at least the pipes look slightly closer in size than the ones on the test mules did. Doesn't look as odd.

Kind of surprised it doesn't get the LED headlights (unless they're an option)... considering this is a 30k civic, i'd expect certain features for that amount of money. Again, things can/will change before production version.

Overall looks pretty good. A bit bummed looks like the tail lights are copy paste from the sedan instead of being full width like on the coupe.
Looks like the connected tail lights will be a coupe only feature.

LED headlights can easily be fitted later or offered as an option. They're not necessary on the prototype anyway for high performance testing on the track. Would be surprised if it got standard head lights only while lesser expensive models got LED as standard or option.

I'm glad they kept the 3 tail pipe exhaust. Looks very unique.

martyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boring Accord family hauler
HOT! Can we get some video clips. Would like to hear the triple tipped exhaust.

G26okie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
To add, since this does appear to be the production hatchback body, I gotta say I like the rear roof line of the sedan much much better.