10thG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Not sure if new info:

The 1.5-litre VTEC turbo engine that will power the next Honda Civic has been revealed in Japan. It is the standard unit for the new Step WGN minivan.

The new direct injection engine features a small-diameter turbine and dual VTC, Honda notes, claiming that this improves the turbo effect in low rpm range. In the seven-seater Step WGN, this is said to enable the engine to "demonstrate power equivalent to that of a 2.4-litre engine even while driving with multiple passengers and on hilly roads".

All versions of the new, fifth generation minivan are powered by the 1.5 VTEC turbo. Both front- and all-wheel drive versions are offered in the Japanese market, with a CVT the sole transmission.

American Honda recently revealed a prototype of what will be its 2016MY Civic, an all-new model due for launch in North America later this year. The 1.5 VTEC turbo will be the main engine.
http://www.just-auto.com/news/first-details-of-future-honda-civic-15-vtec-turbo_id158190.aspx

That article says it'll be the main engine for the 2016 Civic, but I thought I read somewhere here that it'll be the engine for the upper trims while the lower trim models get a naturally aspirated 2.0L?
Sponsored

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I read the same thing. The base engine would be the N/A 2.0L while the 1.5T would be on upper trims (EX and above?) I'm wondering if the 2.0 will only be available on the sedan and they might just skip it on the coupe for sporty-sake. I'm also wondering if they'll do a more accord-like trim structure. The LX will be sedan only. While the coupe will start with a LX-S trim. They could then give the sedan an SE or Sport trim above the LX trim.

I'm guessing honda might do like what chevy does with their turbo models. Same basic HP as the N/A engine but the advantage of more torque and weight savings. Someone mentioned possibly 178 horsepower from the 1.5T and 191tq. Then the base 2.0 could make 175 horsepower and 145ish torque. If honda wasn't planning a pretty substantial bump in power across the board, why bother with new engines at all is my reasoning. I'd like to see no less than 160 hp make it into the base civics.