First CVT Tuned broke-Replaced Under Warranty

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
UPDATE: The dealer is replacing the CVT under warranty. No we don't know what actually happened or what is broke as the dealer is not going to open up the CVT. Once they got the CVT speed sensor code they decided to replace it and sent the request to the tech line where it was approved.

ORIGINAL: Over on a popular facebook group there is a guy whose transmission wouldnt shift today. He is a CVT with the +6 Hondata Tune on it. I dont know details like if he power braked it or messed with the tune but he took it in and they told him it needs a new transmission and valve body. here is a screenshot

Honda Civic 10th gen First CVT Tuned broke-Replaced Under Warranty upload_2017-9-25_19-49-55
Honda Civic 10th gen First CVT Tuned broke-Replaced Under Warranty upload_2017-9-25_19-51-15

Be interesting to see what they say tomorrow

Last edited:

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
me and you are running 25+ psi with no problem.

need some background to his story

OP
OP
dallasjhawk

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
me and you are running a lot of boost with no problem
yep, these things are always YMMV ( your mileage may vary) he said he beat the crap out of his with lots of full throttle dig races but no power braking. He may have a legit CVT issue that has nothing to do with being tuned, but we wont really ever know. I honestly never launch hard unless data logging. I do most of my hammering down on rolls. Its just too much fun....

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
yep, these things are always YMMV ( your mileage may vary) he said he beat the crap out of his with lots of full throttle dig races but no power braking. He may have a legit CVT issue that has nothing to do with being tuned, but we wont really ever know. I honestly never launch hard unless data logging. I do most of my hammering down on rolls. Its just too much fun....
i probably done over 150-200 0-60 but never launched it

but like you said you could of just had a bad cvt from the start

Last edited:

richd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic sport
Country flag
i probably done over 150-200 0-60 but never launched it

but like you said you could of just had a bad cvt from the start
I keep reading about power braking being very bad, but when I've done that the engine management just rolls back power to protect the cvt. I painted my calipers and wanted to burn off the overspray on the rotors. Driving and power braking it nearly stopped the car. It doesn't seem to help launching it any either, the ecu and or the cvt ecu dials everything back so I doubt that power braking will hurt anything, or help launching.
I just hit 20k miles, probably 15k at 6psi Hondata basemap.

OP
OP
dallasjhawk

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I keep reading about power braking being very bad, but when I've done that the engine management just rolls back power to protect the cvt. I painted my calipers and wanted to burn off the overspray on the rotors. Driving and power braking it nearly stopped the car. It doesn't seem to help launching it any either, the ecu and or the cvt ecu dials everything back so I doubt that power braking will hurt anything, or help launching.
I just hit 20k miles, probably 15k at 6psi Hondata basemap.
I mean, HONDATA is the one who said don't do and I would assume they know what they are talking about. It obviously works in some cases because people keep doing it. If the whole idea is to keep the torque/power off the cvt on the low end, why even try this then?

richd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic sport
Country flag
I mean, HONDATA is the one who said don't do and I would assume they know what they are talking about. It obviously works in some cases because people keep doing it. If the whole idea is to keep the torque/power off the cvt on the low end, why even try this then?
I don't anymore why chance it and it doesn't help with launching but the ecu management is very pronounced. I mean just left foot the brake while driving 20-30 mph while giving it gas and you'll see what I mean , the car all but dies.

Naruske

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I feel like the people that this has happened to are messing around with the tune and calibrating them completely wrong. So far each story has been so sketchy and hard to believe.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
I don't anymore why chance it and it doesn't help with launching but the ecu management is very pronounced. I mean just left foot the brake while driving 20-30 mph while giving it gas and you'll see what I mean , the car all but dies.
thats brake boosting to build up boost from a roll. power braking is from a dead stop.
also the reason it kills the throttle when you are trying to brake boost. it's a safety feature in case the E-throttle plate malfunction. Think they started to do it when a few Prius got stuck WOT and crashed

OP
OP
dallasjhawk

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I feel like the people that this has happened to are messing around with the tune and calibrating them completely wrong. So far each story has been so sketchy and hard to believe.
this guy said he is running the +6 as is out of the box. Said he never launched it by holding the brake but drove it hard and did lots of 0-60 pulls. Let's be honest here, no one really knows where the line is for too much torque or boost. Every situation is different but we know too much heat lessens the protection of the fluid in the CVT and being too cold can hurt it as well. Its each users own risk when you modify anything from stock. Im running a custom tune at 25.5 psi and it seems fine but if I blow my tranny up, Im not going to blame my tuner. I rack it up to the risk I took modifying my car. Everyone always says they want to mod but do it safely. Well sorry, there is no full proof modding. Once you mess with one little part on the car, you've taken it out of spec for how it was built to be warrantied by honda and now you assume the risk and liability

OP
OP
dallasjhawk

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
thats brake boosting to build up boost from a roll. power braking is from a dead stop.
also the reason it kills the throttle when you are trying to brake boost. it's a safety feature in case the E-throttle plate malfunction. Think they started to do it when a few Prius got stuck WOT and crashed
What DC said, two different things. You can feel the turbo spool and boost build if you hold your foot on the brake and gas while at a stoplight. That is definitely not good

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
this guy said he is running the +6 as is out of the box. Said he never launched it by holding the brake but drove it hard and did lots of 0-60 pulls. Let's be honest here, no one really knows where the line is for too much torque or boost. Every situation is different but we know too much heat lessens the protection of the fluid in the CVT and being too cold can hurt it as well. Its each users own risk when you modify anything from stock. Im running a custom tune at 25.5 psi and it seems fine but if I blow my tranny up, Im not going to blame my tuner. I rack it up to the risk I took modifying my car. Everyone always says they want to mod but do it safely. Well sorry, there is no full proof modding. Once you mess with one little part on the car, you've taken it out of spec for how it was built to be warrantied by honda and now you assume the risk and liability
yup
My first gear only see 21psi and the rest 26.9psi. I'm sure weight plays a factory too. If you have 5 people in the car and flooring it. its going to be stressing out that belt. Luckily for me, I have a few junkyard with the CVT in stock for under a grand. Also have a lift too, so it wont be as dreadful to install it

Last edited:

richd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic sport
Country flag
What DC said, two different things. You can feel the turbo spool and boost build if you hold your foot on the brake and gas while at a stoplight. That is definitely not good
I haven't tried any 0-60 runs in a while because it seems like a waste with the variability that seems to be ecu/cvt intervening. I never torqued it past 2500 though before flooring it and when I did and it did seem like there was some torque management kicking in.... i.e. It ain't like the old days with purely mechanical transmissions. If it has a torque converter would have thought that would take the brunt and dissapate as heat but maybe it starts stretching n stressing the cvt belt too... makes sense since low end torque seems to cause the most trouble... similar loads.

OP
OP
dallasjhawk

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dont give them a reason to question if you are tuned and they usually wont even ask.
Sponsored