First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Sedan
New to Forum and my first Civic.

This is my first sports car.

Picked up a 2018 SI on Monday. Decided to take one for a test ride on a whim and fell in love in 2 minutes.

Got her for 23,800

If anyone could offer some advice on a few things I would be grateful.

As I understand it the first thing I should do for performance increases is replace wheels and tires. Any suggestions on reasonably priced/decent quality low weight wheels and sticky tires?

Also thinking about the Hondata for remapping the fuel/boost in sport mode as well, should I do a down pipe if I do this? Will I destroy the engine with the +6 tune?

I don't want to kill the car - but I do like to go fast.

Birdman
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Welcome to the site and congrats on the purchase. The first thing I will say is that you need to take the 600 mile break in period seriously, especially for the clutch. This engine / turbocharger setup is capable of producing well more torque than the clutch can handle so you will want to take care of your clutch so you can get the most out of it.

I personally have a set of Konig wheels that are about 10lbs lighter than stock, each. They were not expensive either. Lots of options out there.

If your climate allows for summer tires, I'm a big fan of the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's. Awesome grip and also not very expensive, compared to a Michelin Pilot Super Sport. I have owned both and don't feel like the Firehawks were much of a compromise, if at all.

Hondata is a great option for tuning. Refer to my notes regarding the break in period before you go that route. The base maps are very safe, +6 included. Downpipe upgrades are nice too.

Have fun!

who8myrice

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 memeboost
I do not own 10th gen si but, if you want start somewhere I would recommend tire, sway bar, and tune in that order. You don’t want car to out perform the driver. Nice set of tires after stock is good way to get a feel for the car and start making improvement where you think lacks. Jumping into wheels and suspension without spending time with stock car can be overwhelming

werdna

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Country flag
Appreciate it's stock form first, then start modding. I personally would recommend a tune first, it's a whole different car with it. (Especially it removes the rev hang, that ruined my driving experience).

OP
OP

Birdman75

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Sedan
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely enjoy the factory set up for a couple of weeks :)

OP
OP

Birdman75

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Sedan
I do not own 10th gen si but, if you want start somewhere I would recommend tire, sway bar, and tune in that order. You don’t want car to out perform the driver. Nice set of tires after stock is good way to get a feel for the car and start making improvement where you think lacks. Jumping into wheels and suspension without spending time with stock car can be overwhelming
What would recommend in a sway bar upgrade?

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What would recommend in a sway bar upgrade?
Check out the OEM Type R sway bar. For $100 you can have it delivered to your door with the necessary mounting bracket. It's pretty much on par with any aftermarket option.

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you were looking at wheels, I would check out the Garage section of this forum. There are Civics with nice looking wheels.

Also, I also would like to recommend getting a tuner as the first mod. I got a Ktuner V1.2 and it is slowly turning my little car into a beast! It really helps drivability.

OP
OP

Birdman75

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Sedan
Where in PA?
Chester County. Picked mine up from Roberts in Downingtown. I used the true car app to get quotes from all the local dealers and beat them down from there.

OP
OP

Birdman75

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Sedan
I am seeing a lot of posts about clutch slipping with even the stock tune. Is this something I should replace prior to tuning at +6?

I suppose I can see if my clutch is slipping at all now in sport mode, I hadn't noticed it so far. The car seems to pull pretty hard in third and fourth without any strange revving without accelerating. That said I have never had a turbo car before either so I may not be as aware as others.

Any of you have clutch issues prior to or after a tune?

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am seeing a lot of posts about clutch slipping with even the stock tune. Is this something I should replace prior to tuning at +6?

I suppose I can see if my clutch is slipping at all now in sport mode, I hadn't noticed it so far. The car seems to pull pretty hard in third and fourth without any strange revving without accelerating. That said I have never had a turbo car before either so I may not be as aware as others.

Any of you have clutch issues prior to or after a tune?
The posts you see about slipping with a stock tune is by going full throttle in a high gear with revs below 4000 rpm with a brand new car before the clutch has had time to break in. Getting a clutch with a +6 tune is usually optional but not absolutely necessary. It is highly recommended that in passing full throttle on the highway, that you shift down to a lower gear to ease the strain on the engine and clutch. You will accelerate faster and probably never have the stock clutch slip. In all things there are exceptions.

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Firstly, welcome to the family! Be sure to make one of these and show off your car!

The posts you see about slipping with a stock tune is by going full throttle in a high gear with revs below 4000 rpm with a brand new car before the clutch has had time to break in. Getting a clutch with a +6 tune is usually optional but not absolutely necessary. It is highly recommended that in passing full throttle on the highway, that you shift down to a lower gear to ease the strain on the engine and clutch. You will accelerate faster and probably never have the stock clutch slip. In all things there are exceptions.
I still have fairly elementary knowledge of car inner workings, so this kinda confuses me. Can hard throttle input at low RPM actually cause the two plates to go out of sync? I always assumed "clutch slip" only happened when you make a mistake rev-matching.
Sponsored