First Check-Up/Maintenance?

dank82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatch Sport MT
Country flag
Hey guys, sorry this might be a dumb question, but is there any type of inspection that Honda requires after X amount of time or miles from brand new purchase?

Like to check the car out and make sure that everything is good?

Because I know with Toyota's at least it used to be, there was a maintenance/Check-Up table listed in the owners manual. After the first 1,000 miles, bring the vehicle in to the dealership for a check, stuff of that nature.

With Honda, is it pretty much just go off the Maintenance Minder and that's it? No post-purchase check?
I haven't seen anything in the owners manual that mentions something like this, so I was just wondering.
Sponsored

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
In regards to your first question....not that I'm aware of based on the manual...although I'm sure dealers would try to convince you to spend money on inspections. The maintenance minder covers a lot. For specific time/mileage, coolant is @10 years, brake fluid 3 years, CVT transmission fluid 25,000 miles if you have a mountainous terrain. Engine oil once a year if it doesn't pop up on the MM before that.

Last edited:

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just do it yourself, if you have the tools. Things like checking the torque on the lug nuts, oil level, just a quick once-over underneath the car, things like that. Honestly, those are things everyone should be doing every once in a while.

OP
OP

dank82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatch Sport MT
Country flag
In regards to your first question....not that I'm aware of based on the manual...although I'm sure dealers would try to convince you to spend money on inspections. The maintenance minder covers a lot. For specific time/mileage, coolant is @10 years, brake fluid 3 years, CVT transmission fluid 25,000 miles if you have a mountainous terrain. Engine oil once a year if it doesn't pop up on the MM before that.
Gotcha, that's what I was figuring, just go off the MM, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Thanks!

OP
OP

dank82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatch Sport MT
Country flag
Just do it yourself, if you have the tools. Things like checking the torque on the lug nuts, oil level, just a quick once-over underneath the car, things like that. Honestly, those are things everyone should be doing every once in a while.
Yeah, I always do my own maintenance. Going to the dealership is literally a last resort. I usually do a once over about every month. Just didn't know if Honda recommended a post-buy inspection of some sort.

Thanks!

chestypuller

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
there has to be some kinda maintanceschedule i bet,i know there is with mostvehicles. would hate to get denied warranty claim for not following scheduled maint for the warranty peroid.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Hey guys, sorry this might be a dumb question, but is there any type of inspection that Honda requires after X amount of time or miles from brand new purchase?

Like to check the car out and make sure that everything is good?

Because I know with Toyota's at least it used to be, there was a maintenance/Check-Up table listed in the owners manual. After the first 1,000 miles, bring the vehicle in to the dealership for a check, stuff of that nature.

With Honda, is it pretty much just go off the Maintenance Minder and that's it? No post-purchase check?
I haven't seen anything in the owners manual that mentions something like this, so I was just wondering.
There most certainly should be both a "Pre Purchase check list, with the car when you purchased it, along with another check list of things that the Dealer needed to do when they 1st received the car from the Factory . Both should have been given to you when you took delivery of the car.

If you go online, you should be able to find these blank forms, and also the detailed maintenance Schedule for each mileage milestone.

In the GOOD OLD DAYS, the techs would fill these in by hand, and if they were doing it correctly, as they went through each item, you could see the different way they checked each item.

Now it is all done on a Computer, and you get a Pretty Color Printout, with printed X marks in it, you really have no idea if the Tech Honestly and Accurately filled in each item correctly, or if he just picked up a pre-printed copy from a Photocopied stack reports with all the items Checked Off as PASS.

You can be assured they would not use that stack, once the car was out of Warranty !!

Example: last time I got one of these Printouts from the Dealer, it had PASS check marks by the tire pressure lines, for each tire.
(1) I know for a fact that they never checked the Tire pressures, because if they had, they would have found that I had temporarily Over Inflated them (or more Accurately got Cosco to over inflate them with addition Nitrogen, (For FREE) and I was then later going to Bleed them back down to the correct pressures when the tires had cooled down)
So a TICK of PASS by the Tire Pressure test was total BS -- it being one of the items that I could quantitatively know for sure should have FAILED).

Yet another reason why I really cannot bring myself to trust Dealers ...
Sponsored