First brakes replacement? Symptoms?

jerost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX Sedan Lunar Silver
Country flag
I have a '17 LX with 64K and have not had anything done on the brakes yet. They seem to be fine. Wondering when others have had to replace brake parts on a 10th gen with 64K. When it's time, I'll probably have a local mechanic I like do it rather than the dealer. Also, what are the symptoms of failing brakes on a 10th gen LX other than it's not stopping well? Grinding feeling? Noises? Thanks.
Sponsored

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
If you get to noises you've waited too long. If it starts screeching and sound slike metal on metal, it's definitely time to get them done. I have 67000 km on mine and the brakes are MAYBE at 50% bu I do a lot of highway. An easy way to check when you need to replace you brakes is to check between the caliper when you remove the wheels, you can see how much pad material is left. Anything less than 1/8" or about 3mm is due for replacement now. Also, you should be servicing the brakes every year to ensure they work fine and are not sticking. The pads eventually rust and stock to the calipers and will not release properly, which increases wear on your brakes and reduces fuel economy. It takes about 40 min per axle to do and there are a lot of Youtube videos showing how to do it. You only need to get some caliper grease, rags, brake cleaner and tools to remove the wheels and calipers. I have done mine every 10 months since we do get winters here and it gets bad faster. Most notable is the rear brakes with the electric park brake seems to make the pads stick more than the fronts.

While I'm there I clean up the rust on the edge of the discs and knock off the edge that is not worn off by the pads. I also sand the pads flat and it helps keep the rotors in a bit better shape over time(my experience, maybe it's just a placebo effect but the amount of pad I remove is so minimal I feel it's worth doing)

L8apex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport
Country flag
If you get to noises you've waited too long. If it starts screeching and sound slike metal on metal, it's definitely time to get them done. I have 67000 km on mine and the brakes are MAYBE at 50% bu I do a lot of highway. An easy way to check when you need to replace you brakes is to check between the caliper when you remove the wheels, you can see how much pad material is left. Anything less than 1/8" or about 3mm is due for replacement now. Also, you should be servicing the brakes every year to ensure they work fine and are not sticking. The pads eventually rust and stock to the calipers and will not release properly, which increases wear on your brakes and reduces fuel economy. It takes about 40 min per axle to do and there are a lot of Youtube videos showing how to do it. You only need to get some caliper grease, rags, brake cleaner and tools to remove the wheels and calipers. I have done mine every 10 months since we do get winters here and it gets bad faster. Most notable is the rear brakes with the electric park brake seems to make the pads stick more than the fronts.

While I'm there I clean up the rust on the edge of the discs and knock off the edge that is not worn off by the pads. I also sand the pads flat and it helps keep the rotors in a bit better shape over time(my experience, maybe it's just a placebo effect but the amount of pad I remove is so minimal I feel it's worth doing)
Very thorough and correct for the climate. Sounds like you know what you’re doing. Possibly a tech.

OP
OP
jerost

jerost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX Sedan Lunar Silver
Country flag

When they open up the border again, I'll drive up to London from Boston and you can show me how ?. Thanks for the great information.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
As I said before, Youtube has tons of great videos on the 10th gen to do this. It seems overwhelming but you're not removing your brake lines when doing this so it really is easy. Worst case take pictures of each step so you know how to put it back together after. For a first timer, it would probably take you an afternoon in your driveway with a jack and jackstands and a basic set of tools.

Replacing the rear pads is more involved as you have to electronically make the park brake motor return to its original position and it can be done either by a scan tool at a Honda dealer or there is a way I've read on this forum you can do it yourself. If you're only servicing the brakes you don't need to worry about that though.

I am a tech but for heavy equipment, all principles apply to smaller stuff anyway, just the size of parts change and how they are operated.
Sponsored