Finesse - The Type R -

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I've had a long line of performance cars, a large majority of them stickshift, some dual clutch / standard auto. I'd put the 'feel' of driving a stock Type R at the top of my list of owned cars, followed by my old 2005 WRX and 2008 STi, and trailing that my 2014 EVO.

Before I came to own a Type R I read a lot about it. I saw many mentions of 2nd gear grinds - slow off the line and not fun under 45mph and such. I approached the car with an open mind, honestly just looking to get a fun car that would have some utility to it over my other vehicles.

What I did find after getting it is that - if driven imprecisely you can cause yourself some of the issues people frequently have issues with. This is a drivers car - a car that requires finesse to get the most out of it.

Here are a few common issues I feel are sometimes (not all the time) created by driver error -

- 2nd gear grind -

I thought I had this, and if I drive the car improperly, it would certainly appear that I do. But once I learned the car, got comfortable with the car, I've not had it once since I just used some precision when driving. You can't SPEED SHIFT to second. You can certainly get there very quickly, but you have to MAKE SURE you clutch is all the way depressed or you will get a grind.

- No power / too much wheel spin in 1st and 2nd to be effective in daily traffic

This, being a drivers car, requires input and skill to get the most out of it. You can't stomp on it from the line and hope to beat a mini van. But with some finesse and properly easing into the power you can zip around in this car quite aggressively even from a stop. I've found that rolling onto the throttle in a smooth motion until about 65-75% depressed then rolling a bit onto the throttle instead of just going 100% when into 2nd as well allows you to maintain the bleeding edge of traction and still be moving along well ahead of the pack. I've had many Subaru's and an EVO and I put the Type R - properly driven - at or even with the STi/WRX and ahead of the EVO when talking daily traffic driving acceleration off the line against normal cars doing normal things. Will the Type R win a 0-60 dragrace against any of the cars above when launched? Nope. But is it that type of car? Not really

I guess I made this thread to try and help those that have had issues with these aspects of the car. Sometimes to address a problem you should try approaching what you're doing in a slightly different way. This is a wonderful car, one of my favorite of all time. But you have to get good / used to something to get the most out of it. I rarely get wheel spin unless I mess up, and when you spin wheels you're not going anywhere lol. Practice makes perfect!

Happy motoring all
Sponsored

Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PMM CTR, 2006 S2000, 2010 Element EX AWD
Country flag
If you haven't yet, I encourage you (and anyone else having the issue) to adjust the freeplay in your clutch master cylinder. I too thought I had minor grinding issues when trying to shift quickly, but each time I was certain I had the clutch to the floor. It took me all of about 5 minutes to adjust nearly a half turn of slack out of the CMC rod and now it shifts perfectly, even fast shifts at high RPM.

OP
OP
NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
If you haven't yet, I encourage you (and anyone else having the issue) to adjust the freeplay in your clutch master cylinder. I too thought I had minor grinding issues when trying to shift quickly, but each time I was certain I had the clutch to the floor. It took me all of about 5 minutes to adjust nearly a half turn of slack out of the CMC rod and now it shifts perfectly, even fast shifts at high RPM.
Interesting will check it out - I can shift pretty fast just not as fast as some previous cars. I'll search for that and post up here if it changes

hpbyhermann

First Name
Hermann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Championship white Type R #25133, 09' Civic SI sedan, black 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 2004 Mustang Cobra
Country flag
- THIS!!:beer: 100 PERCENT fixed the same issues with my FK8. To put it simply the pressure plate doesn't fully disengage the clutch disc and the trans grinds because of this. When you remove the slack from the CMC rod you effectively increase the travel of the pressure plate, fully disengaging the engine from the transmission.....eliminating the grinding. Added GM Syncromesh and that was the icing on the cake for me!

LoganP

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type-R #2338 (SOLD) - 2020 Honda Civic Type-R #XXXX (In Production)
Country flag
Would you mind linking to a thread/guide for this? Definitely gonna have to give this a shot!

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
- No power / too much wheel spin in 1st and 2nd to be effective in daily traffic

This, being a drivers car, requires input and skill to get the most out of it. You can't stomp on it from the line and hope to beat a mini van. But with some finesse and properly easing into the power you can zip around in this car quite aggressively even from a stop. I've found that rolling onto the throttle in a smooth motion until about 65-75% depressed then rolling a bit onto the throttle instead of just going 100% when into 2nd as well allows you to maintain the bleeding edge of traction and still be moving along well ahead of the pack. I've had many Subaru's and an EVO and I put the Type R - properly driven - at or even with the STi/WRX and ahead of the EVO when talking daily traffic driving acceleration off the line against normal cars doing normal things. Will the Type R win a 0-60 dragrace against any of the cars above when launched? Nope. But is it that type of car? Not really

I guess I made this thread to try and help those that have had issues with these aspects of the car. Sometimes to address a problem you should try approaching what you're doing in a slightly different way. This is a wonderful car, one of my favorite of all time. But you have to get good / used to something to get the most out of it. I rarely get wheel spin unless I mess up, and when you spin wheels you're not going anywhere lol. Practice makes perfect!

Happy motoring all
I couldn't agree more. Seems today because of all the sophisticated systems a lot of people want a car that they can just mash the throttle and rocket off with no problems. Sometimes it takes a driver who can sense speed, traction, acceleration and apply the proper amount of throttle modulation to go fast. It's called "driving". It's not called "just sitting behind the wheel." I too have had high power performance cars...1969 396 Chevelle SS, 1965 Sunbeam Tiger, 1971 Plymouth Duster 340, 360 c.i. sprint car, my current 2005 Porsche C4S with a reconstructed 380 hp engine and the Type R. None of the previous nor current cars could/can I just sit there and mash the throttle. For me working the throttle for a good result is part of the fun in driving performance cars. It take some skill/experience to drive fast.

ShadowFiend

SanaBanana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
- THIS!!:beer: 100 PERCENT fixed the same issues with my FK8. To put it simply the pressure plate doesn't fully disengage the clutch disc and the trans grinds because of this. When you remove the slack from the CMC rod you effectively increase the travel of the pressure plate, fully disengaging the engine from the transmission.....eliminating the grinding. Added GM Syncromesh and that was the icing on the cake for me!
Does the grind cause any negative effects on the tranny? I have a lot of shift grinds from my 19 Si...I am almost to the point of scheduling an appointment with my Honda dealer.

hpbyhermann

First Name
Hermann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Championship white Type R #25133, 09' Civic SI sedan, black 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 2004 Mustang Cobra
Country flag
It is wearing the face of the gears.

TypeRNY

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I had seen an entire thread on shortening the play in the clutch pedal, and it wasnt the thread posted above. Anyone know which one I am talking about and could possibly link it here?

trucke

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR; 2022 Civic Si; 1987 Corolla FX16 GT-S
Country flag
Good information presented here. I was concerned about the second gear crunch complaints as I plan to autocross this car. Been driving an Corolla FX16 with an LSD in street prepared many years and the same car in Street class before that. But now I have a FWD machine that I cannot mash the gas and steer. Its got way more power!!! Even with just 475 miles on it, I'm getting more comfortable powering out of tight turns.
This is going to be fun!

Honda Civic 10th gen Finesse - The Type R - IMG_8010.JPG