First Name
Turbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sti, 2019 Si, Fr-S, 350z, Evo X
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I personally didn't have to haggle (I was lucky enough to have a work connection to the GM of the dealer), but from what I've heard, it's just a matter of calling around until you find a dealer willing to do sticker price.

I didn't really care for the 15+ STI, myself. The R pulls harder from a roll, and can handle higher cornering speeds. In my opinion, it's only in the snow or when launching from a standstill that the STI really shines. I do love the sounds it makes though.
Yeah sti felt sluggish...like my stock Si is almost as good, with ktuner stage 1 idk how i justified that dinosaur engine for 2x the monthly payments.

Type R looks sick, would buy down the road, but im goin g for the supra once school is out. Unless honda decides to make something like the s2000 again...
Sponsored

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I’ve always like the STI, always wanted to have one but the more digging into it I do, the less appealing the STI is. I really love the look of the STI but the gas mileage is pretty bad, they also have some mechanical issues, nowhere near as bulletproof as the Honda, the ride isn’t that comfortable, it’s kind of a dated vehicle and at $37K I don’t think it’s worth that money at this point.

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
Did you seriously bump an 8-month outdated thread and quote such a long post to ask that one question?

The following emoticon will not be of any helpful guidance at all. o_O
Lol I don't even know what bumping is I just stumbled upon it and I didn't know the Type R didn't have lane watch. That's one of the most important things to me in my Si like I'd rather have lane watch than Apple Carplay and a plethora of other things. Dang

amped_imports

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si , 2003 S2000
Country flag
My mom is looking for a newer car and loves manuals. There's been talk about her getting a Type R but for her application I don't think it's worth it to her. She would never use the different modes and the car would run on 87 octane for it's entire life. That being said, I kicked around the idea of selling her my 2017 Si and getting a Type R myself, but, the Type R would be my daily driver not including a S2000 which I drive quite a bit in the summer. With the Type R I would have to dump more money in new wheels and tires for all seasons and it wouldn't have a garage spot in the summer just to name a couple things in the "negative" column. I love the looks of my 4 door Si and I've already done the simple upgrades I've wanted to make the car "mine". For those reasons I don't think I could justify spending 50% more for a Type R than my Si.

Thanks for your thoughts on it though! It's always interesting to hear other peoples thoughts or perspectives, the Type R just seems like overkill for my personal application.

consensual_induction

First Name
Turbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My mom is looking for a newer car and loves manuals. There's been talk about her getting a Type R but for her application I don't think it's worth it to her. She would never use the different modes and the car would run on 87 octane for it's entire life. That being said, I kicked around the idea of selling her my 2017 Si and getting a Type R myself, but, the Type R would be my daily driver not including a S2000 which I drive quite a bit in the summer. With the Type R I would have to dump more money in new wheels and tires for all seasons and it wouldn't have a garage spot in the summer just to name a couple things in the "negative" column. I love the looks of my 4 door Si and I've already done the simple upgrades I've wanted to make the car "mine". For those reasons I don't think I could justify spending 50% more for a Type R than my Si.

Thanks for your thoughts on it though! It's always interesting to hear other peoples thoughts or perspectives, the Type R just seems like overkill for my personal application.
Imma get flamed for this but but if you’re considering an upgrade from the si and can’t justify the type r, look at the ford hatchback that is like the American evo/sti. Heard they kick ass if you can find one.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag

It is honestly overkill for most people's personal applications. That said, there is a directness to it that makes it a joy to drive even doing daily, mundane tasks. Maybe an SI with an aftermarket clutch and single mass flywheel would be just as good though - I never upgraded the clutch on my SI, so I couldn't say.

Honda_RacerX

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Imma get flamed for this but but if you’re considering an upgrade from the si and can’t justify the type r, look at the ford hatchback that is like the American evo/sti. Heard they kick ass if you can find one.
you mean the focus ST?

consensual_induction

First Name
Turbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
you mean the focus ST?
i think so.

Also, the inside of the new r32 is BEAUTIFUL. Really classy neon flat panels lining inside of the door frame (only seen when getting in and out), crazyy comfortable. Not as much of a looker tho as the type r

firesyde424

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
I've actually give some thought to buying a used one. The problem I have is that prices on used CTRs even 2 years old are close enough to MSRP of a new one, I might as well just get a new one.
Sponsored