amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Type R is closer to $15k difference with dealer discounts on Si and Dealer mark ups on R. Obviously, the msrp is right at $10k difference. Cost of ownership is going to be more, but depreciation on the Si will cost you more - we will call it a wash. Spending over $5k in mods on an Si to perform like an R seems silly, but still much cheaper than buying an R. You can have just as much fun in either car, but my guess is the Type R creates a little bigger grin. I'm not sure if the Type R would have been the car of choice if I was looking to spend $35k, but I didn't think I was going to buy an Si when I was looking this time.

My guess - Si will be worth around $5k in 10 years and the Type R will probably be worth $25k in 10 years. Maybe I am totally off on my estimate, but look at EVOs. It really is apples and oranges comparing the 2. Enjoy the car you have, and test drive as many cars as you can. Buy the ones you like the most.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. I saw a 1999 stock Si sell for $24K on bring your own trailer. It had low miles and was very clean, but damn. But you are probably right
Sponsored

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not entirely true. The Si out handles the way more expensive Golf R stock for stock with the Si pulling .97 and the Golf R .95 on a skidpad according to car and driver.

Screenshot_2018-11-28-02-36-35.png
I was referring to a drag race. I saw a 2018 Civic Si VS GTI video on The Fast Lane Car and the GTI was a second faster on the same track:

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Sal Bandini

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Lap times only give some indication of how cars compare on the road. You are not driving at 9 or 10/10ths on the road.

Stock Si cannot keep up with stock GTI on the road. The low-end torque advantage is too much for the Si to overcome. If GTI has dual clutch, then game over.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Lap times only give some indication of how cars compare on the road. You are not driving at 9 or 10/10ths on the road.

Stock Si cannot keep up with stock GTI on the road. The low-end torque advantage is too much for the Si to overcome. If GTI has dual clutch, then game over.
I would agree with you, that being said, I would take the Si over the GTI any day. As a previous VW enthusiast and owner a few VW's including the GTI, I like my car not being in the shop all the time, although I like the GTI interior and instrument layout much better

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not true. There are so many things that go into speed than torque or hp numbers. Stock for stock, 6speed for 6speed, the Si and GTI are very close because of its power to weight ratio. The "can not keep up" statement is false. While the GTI would win most of the time in a drag and rolling race it isnt by much.

Sal Bandini

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
258 lb-ft @1500RPM - the GTI will pull at normal road speeds more than the Si. Most light to light speeds will be between 30-50 MPH, not the 1/4 mile drag races. I didn't drive a GTI but did drive a Focus ST. The thrust from that is noticeably more than Si, although torque steer is horrible.

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
258 lb-ft @1500RPM - the GTI will pull at normal road speeds more than the Si. Most light to light speeds will be between 30-50 MPH, not the 1/4 mile drag races. I didn't drive a GTI but did drive a Focus ST. The thrust from that is noticeably more than Si, although torque steer is horrible.
Well I've driven a brand new GTI and I can tell you that it didnt feel that much faster than my Si. In fact if I closed my eyes and my ears as a passenger I wouldnt know I was in a different car (sans the feel of the seats).

Spike Spiegel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Well I've driven a brand new GTI and I can tell you that it didnt feel that much faster than my Si. In fact if I closed my eyes and my ears as a passenger I wouldnt know I was in a different car (sans the feel of the seats).
I test drove a GTI several months before buying the Si. The DCT GTI felt noticeably faster off the line. It did not corner or handle as well tho.

Spotty reliability of VW pushed me over to Honda and I didn't mind saving a few thousand dollars either. With that said I really, really liked the GTI.

PS. Honestly all the cars in this range are great cars IMHO. I considered a WRX but didn't want to spend $31K. I test drove a Focus ST and that was great too with the exception of the torture rack seats. Sitting in the Ford's seat can't be much better than water boarding.

Last edited:

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I wouldn't be so sure about that. I saw a 1999 stock Si sell for $24K on bring your own trailer. It had low miles and was very clean, but damn. But you are probably right
24k for a 1999 si? thats so fucking stupid. i dont care if it had 15k miles on it, thats retarded.

now 24k for a 1999 integra type r with 20k miles on it... that would be slightly more understandable.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
i test drove a 2017 gti amd the higher torque is very obvious over our si. it was the 6 mt and it thrust me back into the seat a little.

that was the only thing good about that car.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Lol, thinking maybe it's time to close out the thread guys. Thought we were going to sink back into a thread about cost again, but we seem to have skipped that and went straight to "SI vs GTI" somehow.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
24k for a 1999 si? thats so fucking stupid. i dont care if it had 15k miles on it, thats retarded.

now 24k for a 1999 integra type r with 20k miles on it... that would be slightly more understandable.
Here is a 2000 Civic Si that went for $22,750: https://jalopnik.com/someone-just-paid-22-750-for-this-absurdly-pristine-20-1824165493
Forget about getting an Integra Type r anything less than $30K unless it has a dirty title or is in super shitty condition

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Lol, thinking maybe it's time to close out the thread guys. Thought we were going to sink back into a thread about cost again, but we seem to have skipped that and went straight to "SI vs GTI" somehow.
Yeah, that tends to happen when a thread hangs around for awhile. I'm surprised Russian collusion didnt come up yet
Sponsored